Learning to build a new computer

ramony

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
Hello everyone,
i'm a novice and trying to build a new computer from stractch. i've done some basic homework and still have some remaining questions i hope someone can help me with. firstly i've choosen the following components:
CPU: intel i5
motherboard:
Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3P MB, Intel P55, DDR3 2000, PCI or
Asus P7P55D-LE Intel P55 S1156pin DDR3 Motherboard with Express Gate or
Asus P7P55D-LE P55 Motherboard Raid DDR3 GLAN LGA1156
ram: Corsair TW3X4G1333C9 4GB (2x XMS3 2GB) PC-10600 (1333MHz) XMP DDR3 RAM, 2x2.
harddisk: Seagate 1TB (1000G) 32M 7200RPM SATA2
video card:
Gigabyte,GV-R467ZL-1GI,Gigabyte ATI HD4670 PCI-E 2.0 1GB 128-bit GDDR3, or
1GB 9600GT
PSU: Thermaltake Wing RS100 Case - Black Mid Tower with 430W PSU

my questions are:
among the three motherboards, which is the best buy?
among the video cards, again i'm not sure which one is better to have. my need is photo editting, movies, limited gaming
about the PSU, is 430W enough? if not can anyone suggest some PSU?
finally i'm not sure which wireless network card is the best buy, which cpu copper sink is the best buy?
sorry for asking such basic questions as i'm just a new starter!
i hope my questions are clear and someone can help. thanks so much.

ramony

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
sorry to mention the budget, as i'm new not sure what to specify. i'm in australia, i guess AUD1k to 12k is my budget. i don't need serious gaming, but good for photo editing, multi tasking, like reading many word documents, pdf, at the same time doing statistics. thanks for asking.

szbxa

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
1: motherboards. buy neither. go 4 a Asrock P55 pro or extreme is a better choice. or the Gigabyte UDR3. ther are better choices that offer better performance at a lower price.
2: videocards: go 4 the 4670 if you HAVE to choose one between them. but according to your needs, you should get a better video card like at least a 4870 or something. if not, you PC is a little bit not balanced.
3: your PSU is a piece of junk, NEVER trust the PSUs that comes with the case especially comes with such a cheap case if you buy it, there is a big chance that they may broke down in 3 months or something and take you whole system with it. and it's actually not enough 4 your system( of you simplely add up the power consumption of the componens. it may seems enough. but this junk PSU will not be able to continously offer the power it should be offering.)
4: the networkcard: i don't know if you will use the internet wirelessly from a really LONG distance from the router otherwise the intergrated network will absolutely be enough(i wounder if you don't know that all the MBs include the wireless thing).
5: you are going to buy a boxed CPU right. if u you are gonna buy an OEM. you need to consider that(i wounder if you know all the boxed cpus comes with the heatsink and fan, and they are actually DECENT. they will do a good cooling job if you are not gonna OC(you should get a good thermal compound anyway 4 a better cooling). if you are planning to buy an OEM, get the Arctic coolers, they will do a nice job 4 a low price. If u just wanna OC, pick one from zalman or thermaltake coolermaster whatever but just a good brand and at least around $50.

and don't forget to buy a DVD reader to at least get your OS installed. good luck.

ekoostik

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
A couple things would help. First review these guidelines: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advice Second, where you have parts you're considering list them and then provide a link to the part. Some of the items you've listed above just don't make sense, for example under motherboard you wrote "DDR3 2000, PCI or". That's either a typo or you're confused about something.

What size monitor will you use and at what resolution? What kinds of games will you play? I have that video card and it works fine for me on a 22" 1680x1050 monitor. For the price I paid for it I'm very happy with it. It also does not require its own powe connector and so produces relatively low heat. When I first built my rig I hooked it up to a 32" 1920x1080 TV and watched a 30 minute DVD but that's the extent of testing I did on a larger size/resolution. I'm also not trying to play Crysis or any other FPS on it. Main uses are watching videos and some photo and video editing.

430W is fine for what you have outlined there if you're going to run at stock. Check out my specs. I'm running similar at 450W. However, that particular PSU may be a POS. Without a model number or link I can't say for sure, but here's a review of a 430W Thermaltake that does not have good things to say: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/332

You want to find a good quality PSU from the likes of PC Power & Cooling, Seasonic, Corsair, and find a model that gets a great review from someone who actually tested the PSU. A couple good sites for researching PSUs are http://www.hardwaresecrets.com and http://www.jonnyguru.com

That's probably enough to start with. Once you update your post to answer some questions about your needs and intended use (again, follow this http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advice ) it will be easier to dive into more specifics.

ramony

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
thanks so much for all of your suggestions. i think i better do what ekoostik suggests so you guys can help me a bit more. i'll try to specify the main components and post the link. also i think i had a typo, my budget should be AUD1000 to 1200. thanks.