Closed Solved

How to stop automatic shutting down

hello,
two days back i changed my laptop os to windows8
from that day my laptop is shutting down for every one hour
28 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about stop automatic shutting down
  1. is it a LEGAL version ?

    and what did you upgrade from ?
  2. go to control panel, go to hardware and sound, go to power options, select change when the computer goes to sleep, set it to whatever you want, win
  3. right click on the new start(choose power options)click on change power options, select whatever you want to do. Disable sleep, or hibernation
  4. OP most likely has a none legit version of Win8, because it did say if Win8 is not legit, it will shutdown every hour.

    Quote:
    After installation, Windows 8 automatically connects to a Microsoft server -- given the machine is connected to the Internet -- to verify that the user's key is valid. If the key is valid, then Windows 8 is activated. If the key is deemed not valid, then the typical non-genuine ritual reportedly kicks in by fading the desktop to a permanent black and displaying a message saying the OS is illegitimate. The PC will then shut down every hour.


    http://www.tomshardware.com/news/grace-period-Windows-8-product-key-piracy-evaluation,17049.html
  5. lp231 said:
    OP most likely has a none legit version of Win8, because it did say if Win8 is not legit, it will shutdown every hour.

    Quote:
    After installation, Windows 8 automatically connects to a Microsoft server -- given the machine is connected to the Internet -- to verify that the user's key is valid. If the key is valid, then Windows 8 is activated. If the key is deemed not valid, then the typical non-genuine ritual reportedly kicks in by fading the desktop to a permanent black and displaying a message saying the OS is illegitimate. The PC will then shut down every hour.


    http://www.tomshardware.com/news/grace-period-Windows-8-product-key-piracy-evaluation,17049.html



    Hi :)

    Exactly correct... its NOTHING to do with power saving, its to do with LEGALITY...

    All the best Brett :)
  6. Best answer
    Brett928S2 said:
    Hi :)

    Exactly correct... its NOTHING to do with power saving, its to do with LEGALITY...

    All the best Brett :)
    maybe not, windows 8 preview is still active a few more weeks, if using the preview this would not happen until jan 12 or 13, and if using a download he would have 3 days to activate, his p0st clearly states since switching to 8 its been turning off, by default 8 put sleep mode for 1 hour, so taking the evidence of what he said and what I know about windows 8 activation it would be power setting. Inturn there could be more than one diagnostic for troubling shooting his post.
  7. Well OP can set his sleep mode to 2 hours and see if it still turns off in 1 hour. If yes, then his OS isn't legit.
  8. if he sees a windows 8 desktop information right botton , it will say this copy of windows is outdated.
    Please go to Microsoft store to buy a new cd key. There is no such thing as an illegal windows anymore. You have an option to buy a cdkey during activation no matter where it came from.

    If I'm not mistake we told him to disable sleep and hib. If he looks at the bottom right and it says windows 8 version xxxx, his copy is not activated, go to activate, use put in new cd key, use the key he has windows will auto activate, if he gets a prompt telling him the key is invalid, he needs to use phone option or buy a new key
  9. gomerpile said:
    if he sees a windows 8 desktop information right botton , it will say this copy of windows is outdated.
    Please go to Microsoft store to buy a new cd key. There is no such thing as an illegal windows anymore. You have an option to buy a cdkey during activation no matter where it came from.

    If I'm not mistake we told him to disable sleep and hib. If he looks at the bottom right and it says windows 8 version xxxx, his copy is not activated, go to activate, use put in new cd key, use the key he has windows will auto activate, if he gets a prompt telling him the key is invalid, he needs to use phone option or buy a new key



    Hi :)

    Sorry , but you are wrong, I am an MS Partner and I can assure you there are MANY ILLEGAL versions of Windows...

    The Ultimate on the net is one, and I can think of several others , which I wont name for obvious reasons...

    All the best Brett :)
  10. I'm not talking about windows in general I already know those, windows 8 there are no illegal. 8 wont even run if its not activated within 3 days. At the end of day 3 when the timer expired a prompt ask to activate, if its not choosen, windows will shut down right away. Now if he uses a crack or a activation patch, well that's quite stupid, but the version of windows is legit. It is they choose to go the stupid route, they just jeopardized their ISP being banned. Previous version yes, I agree there are lots of illegal windows but not in windows 8. Win 8 is mush different with its trackers. YOU CANNOT STOP MS TRACKER. IF you are talking about illegal ways of activating, USING CRACKS IN WINDOWS8. UNPLUG YOUR INTERNET, IF THAT IS THE CASE AND PHONE YOUR SERVICE PROVIDER TO DISCONNET BEFORE YOUR BUSTED. as for his problem there is not illegal windows 8. What is illegal is the use of activation cracks and patches.
  11. gomerpile said:
    I'm not talking about windows in general I already know those, windows 8 there are no illegal. 8 wont even run if its not activated within 3 days. At the end of day 3 when the timer expired a prompt ask to activate, if its not choosen, windows will shut down right away. Now if he uses a crack or a activation patch, well that's quite stupid, but the version of windows is legit. It is they choose to go the stupid route, they just jeopardized their ISP being banned. Previous version yes, I agree there are lots of illegal windows but not in windows 8. Win 8 is mush different with its trackers. YOU CANNOT STOP MS TRACKER. IF you are talking about illegal ways of activating, USING CRACKS IN WINDOWS8. UNPLUG YOUR INTERNET, IF THAT IS THE CASE AND PHONE YOUR SERVICE PROVIDER TO DISCONNET BEFORE YOUR BUSTED. as for his problem there is not illegal windows 8. What is illegal is the use of activation cracks and patches.



    Hi :)

    Actually there IS an illegal version of 8.

    I saw it for the first time last Friday, a customer had been sold the machine and it wasn't working properly...

    It looks like a cross between 7 and XP ...very weird...

    We had to format and install 7 and it cost the customer £199... to make it legal...

    All the best Brett :)
  12. Brett928S2 said:
    Hi :)

    Actually there IS an illegal version of 8.

    I saw it for the first time last Friday, a customer had been sold the machine and it wasn't working properly...

    It looks like a cross between 7 and XP ...very weird...

    We had to format and install 7 and it cost the customer £199... to make it legal...

    All the best Brett :)

    It was not windows 8 that was the developers release. I had the same copy when testing with MS, this release was almost 2 years ago. Something like longhorn

    Edit yes it was 8 but developers release
  13. gomerpile said:
    It was not windows 8 that was the developers release. I had the same copy when testing with MS, this release was almost 2 years ago. Something like longhorn



    Hi :)

    No it was the 8 Pro that had been altered (only way I can describe it)

    All the best Brett :)
  14. upgraded from windows7.... and now i am having windows8 evaluation copy
  15. lp231 said:
    OP most likely has a none legit version of Win8, because it did say if Win8 is not legit, it will shutdown every hour.

    Quote:
    After installation, Windows 8 automatically connects to a Microsoft server -- given the machine is connected to the Internet -- to verify that the user's key is valid. If the key is valid, then Windows 8 is activated. If the key is deemed not valid, then the typical non-genuine ritual reportedly kicks in by fading the desktop to a permanent black and displaying a message saying the OS is illegitimate. The PC will then shut down every hour.


    http://www.tomshardware.com/news/grace-period-Windows-8-product-key-piracy-evaluation,17049.html


    ....But my os is activated . what else i can do !! i don't know.. Is there any other way to stop this problem?
  16. Best answer selected by rakesh kumar387.
  17. I'd like to see a screen shot of the os that says its activated and an evaluation. I will then believe you but till then I'm considering this BS. Please produce proof your are actually using evaluation.
  18. I'll believe if you show this till then I consider BS on this one
  19. Brett928S2 said:
    Hi :)

    No it was the 8 Pro that had been altered (only way I can describe it)

    All the best Brett :)


    XP/Vista/7 with the Windows 8 Transform pack?
  20. Brett928S2 said:
    lp231 said:
    OP most likely has a none legit version of Win8, because it did say if Win8 is not legit, it will shutdown every hour.

    Quote:
    After installation, Windows 8 automatically connects to a Microsoft server -- given the machine is connected to the Internet -- to verify that the user's key is valid. If the key is valid, then Windows 8 is activated. If the key is deemed not valid, then the typical non-genuine ritual reportedly kicks in by fading the desktop to a permanent black and displaying a message saying the OS is illegitimate. The PC will then shut down every hour.


    http://www.tomshardware.com/news/grace-period-Windows-8-product-key-piracy-evaluation,17049.html



    Hi :)

    Exactly correct... its NOTHING to do with power saving, its to do with LEGALITY...

    All the best Brett :)
  21. good brett.
  22. str8cuse said:
    go to control panel, go to hardware and sound, go to power options, select change when the computer goes to sleep, set it to whatever you want, win
  23. str8cuse said:
    go to control panel, go to hardware and sound, go to power options, select change when the computer goes to sleep, set it to whatever you want, win
  24. str8cuse : please if does have knowledge about these please take step back why wasting other time ! to scrool down , windows goes automatically shut down after installation now can u tell me what you suppose to change power plain option ,

    there is only windows activation issue ,, check your event logs under the system tab , windows says activation my be u did crack might be WPE crack ,,,
  25. Not sure why so much bs about license Thing, try to disable power Management on Your Wireless nic
  26. i have installed windows 8 from an internet shop owner....... nothing prob in usage of laptop except of shutting down every one hour.. i can also find in the laptop that windows is activated with a display of product key something, kindly provide the solution guys
  27. Hi,
    There is a solution for this issue ref: Link removed by Saga Lout on 11/08/2013.
    - Vijay
  28. PAVijay, your link was removed because it seeks to overarch Microsoft activation procedures. The hourly shutdown is due to the Evaluation issue of Windows 8 having run out of the ninety days allowed to decide to buy or not to buy.

    The fact is that you cannot legitimately convert it into a genuine copy without paying for it so it's time to close this old thread now..
Ask a new question

Read More

Laptops Windows 8