New FSB VS. RAM Speeds?

phasmantis

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2007
Well, been a while since I've been into computers and overclocking and such, so I've gotten a bit lost. The motherboard I am looking at, the http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131641 with a FSB of QPI 6.4GT/S confuses me. Not sure what QPI or 6.4GT/S means, since FSB used to be "1066mhz" and such.

The RAM I want is DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800).

Also, the processor I want is the I7 930 (2.8ghz) with a QPI of 4.8GT/S.

Now, here's what I want to know... What do I need to know about matching up the specifications with these? For example, from what I can remember, have a FSB of 1066 (which equates to 266 when divided by 4) means I would want RAM of at most DDR2 533, correct (since that divided by 2 is 266)? Or else I'll be trying to send more information than the FSB can take (if I leave the FSB stock)... I think. If I'm wrong about that please correct me. If I wanted DDR2 800 I'd want to try to up my FSB to 400 (1600), right?

Man I feel rusty... I feel like what I am saying is completely wrong.

Anyways, how does what I explained apply to the motherboard, ram, and CPU I just posted as well.

Thanks in advance.

Intel has moved away from a front side bus starting with its current generation of processors. They now have an on-die memory controller like AMD.

(QPI) Quick Path Interconnect is the intel version of Hypertransport. GT/s is Gigabit transfer per second, I think.

phasmantis

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2007
Ah okay, with that known, is there some sort of ratio required as I mentioned? It kind of puts me farther down, but is there some sort of MHZ on DDR3 I don't want to surpass that would cause the RAM to back up over the QPI 6.4GT/S.

E.G, what would be a good example of RAM speeds and CPU speeds (with/without mutlipliers) on a QPI 6.4GT/s motherboard, and what would be an example of bad speeds that might cause slow downs due to back ups/motherboard QPI exceeding (even if it's not really plausible with the speeds of RAM and CPUs today).