Class 1E

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
Hi everyone! :hello: I've always wanted to build my own PC, and I've finally got the $$$ and time to do it (graduated in May with EE degree...believe me I had precious little of either before that). I'm looking to stay under $1000.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Within a week
BUDGET RANGE: 800 - 1000 Before Rebates

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: gaming, surfing the internet

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: AMD/ATI

OVERCLOCKING:
Not right now. SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Not right now.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I'm primarily looking to build a PC that will perform well with the games I already have (CoD4, GTA IV) or am planning to get soon (CoD:MW2, America's Army 3). Also, i have a decent 5.1 surround sound system that i will be connecting this PC to, and I was wondering if it would be worth it to get a sound card. This is what I've come up with so far. I'm basically just wanting to make sure everything is compatible. As I stated earlier, I am new to this; if you have any suggestions, please feel free. Thanks for your help!

Case:
Antec 300 Illusion Black
OR
Thermaltake SopranoRS Black

PSU:
Antec EarthWatts 650W

MB:
ASUS EVO AM3 AMD 790X ATX

CPU:
AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb

GPU:
XFX Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-b

Memory:
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit

HD:
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 500GB 7200 RPM

CD/DVD:
Sony Optiarc 24X DVD/CD Rewritable Drive

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders

This comes to a total of $863.87/$863.91 before shipping.

mortonww

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
That spinpoint f3 you've picked out will be a bit faster than that Western Digital.

As far as cases are concerned, I would go with the Antec 300. It's got a good reputation around here. If you're looking for even more room, check out the Cooler Master Storm series. Very spacious and lots of room for expansion. I actually have personal experience with the Storm Sniper (see below). It's awesome.

On board sound chips are generally pretty good these days, so it might not be necessary to buy a discrete card. Use the mobo's sound for a while and see if you're satisfied with it.

Class 1E

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
That's what I had read about the Spinpoint F3s. I'm thinking I will go with the Antec 300; I didn't realize until I looked at it a little closer, but it actually comes with four fans where the other case I was interested in only comes with one. Good point on the sound card too.

TRENDING THREADS