we are trying to run sfc but the screen just changes &
comes back without working. please advise how can we try
to extract the sfc from windows cd?
also if we can't run extract command how can we get that
file

On Sat, 4 Sep 2004 21:09:38 -0700, dk wrote:

> we are trying to run sfc but the screen just changes &
> comes back without working. please advise how can we try
> to extract the sfc from windows cd?
> also if we can't run extract command how can we get that
> file

It sounds like you are running sfc from Start> Run. This would cause the
cmd prompt window to appear while to tool is running and to immediately
close when it is done. To keep the window open, do not type the command
into Start> Run. Instead, open a command prompt window (Start> Run> cmd).
Then in the window that appears, type your sfc command.

Most likely the tool will still complete quickly with no prompts. This is
normal when SFC cannot find files that need replacing.

You mention wanting to use the Extract command. Did you mean Expand? This
can run from the command prompt window. Type expand /? to learn more about
using it.

Start> Run> MSCONFIG is another way to do this. There is an Expand button
on the General page of this tool. Click it to bring up an interactive
dialog for expanding files from XP's installation media.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

TRENDING THREADS