Sign in with
Your question

SATA Drive not detected

Last response: in Motherboards
May 19, 2010 11:58:53 AM

Hi,
A while ago i set my dad up with a new computer. the motherboard i chose was an Asus P5KPL SE.
he has been using a Maxtor IDE HDD but now wants more storage space. i got him a sata drive and it is just not being recognised - not even by the bios. i know the drive works because i'v tested it on another system and it worked a treat. i know it's getting power in his computer because i can feel it spin up and it gets a a little warmer after it's been on. but it just isn't being detected. he has a fresh installation of windows 7. i have updated the bios, still not recognised. there don't seem to be any conflicts that i am aware of. could it be that all 4 on board sata ports don't work? or is there something i'm missing?
i have been looking for possible solutions in these forums and just can't find anything..
Any help would be appreciated.
if any more info is needed to try diagnose a problem i can provide it.
Thanks!

More about : sata drive detected

a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 78 V Motherboard
May 21, 2010 3:16:37 AM

Did you try using another data cable? Or using the cable that worked with the HDD on the other computer?
May 21, 2010 7:35:28 AM

treefrog07 said:
Did you try using another data cable? Or using the cable that worked with the HDD on the other computer?

yes i did.
when they tested it at the shop they used a different cable and sata hdd, different ram, different cpu, different psu, different gfx card and it still didn't recognise it.
i have ruled out absolutely everything it seems, mother board included. i'm going crazy now.
Related resources
May 21, 2010 1:47:01 PM

I had a vaguely similar problem last week that Falcon a member of this site helped me with. He suggested upgrading my SATA drivers, which sorted my problem out.
May 21, 2010 1:59:25 PM

DonC_ said:
I had a vaguely similar problem last week that Falcon a member of this site helped me with. He suggested upgrading my SATA drivers, which sorted my problem out.

drivers all up to date, bios up to date...
this is getting really frustrating...
!