ASUS M4A87TD EVO

Has anybody gotten this mobo? It only has a couple reviews on newegg. They're all pretty good, but theres only 4 of them.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131647

Otherwise, does Asus tend to make good boards? The only other computer I've built, I used a dfi lanparty.

Thanks,
Chris
11 answers Last reply
More about asus m4a87td
  1. I can't speak on the actual board but I can speak on that ASUS makes outstanding motherboards. They are considered either the best or second best depending on whom you talk to, along with Gigabyte.

One thing to note on the board, it won't be a good Crossfire board with a x16,x4 setup. If you want to Crossfire, I would look to move up to the ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3
  2. I got this board recently. I've been trying to overclock my Phenom II x6 1055T to 4ghz on air, however I haven't gotten it completely stable yet.

The best I've been able to do is 3.8ghz stable with a max load temp of 58C with a coolermaster hyper 212 plus. I'm okay with that, as it is a 1 ghz overclock.

I'd have to say it's a pretty good board. Everything on it seems simply laid out, and the x16/x4 pci-e lanes do not affect crossfire THAT much. For most (including myself) it is about a 5% (or less for some games) loss of fps. I don't think it's worth the extra 40 bucks for the 890 version which also has an integrated graphics processor that you will most likely never use if you're a gamer.
  3. Hi.

If u don't want Crossfire is a solid mobo BUT if u want it, go with a M4A79XTD EVO, that support Crossfire @ x8.
  4. The M4A87TD is a decent motherboard. I'm running with a quad 3.2 and 1600 Corsair memory. Performance is ok.

Issues:

1) The board is not a full size ATX and only mounts on 6 standoffs. The side of the motherboard toward the front of the case is unsupported and does not inspire confidence.

2) The I/O plate is an awkward piece of gear that is very poorly designed. It does not inspire confidence.

3) several of us have had problems with the integrated sound under Linux. I have not been able to get sound at all so far. I will be trying a windows install to see how it handles the hardware.

I would not recommend this motherboard for Linux. It's too new. The issues I've found make me think that Asus might be slacking off the quality. If true, it confirms rumors I have heard. My next board will be a Gigabyte.....
  5. I'm guessing the last anonymous person who posted here is the one who left the anonymous negative review on Newegg. I find it stupid that someone rates a board down because of Linux sound issues. That is LINUX's fault, not any motherboards fault. Most people don't run Linux either.

As for the plate, I haven't installed mine yet, but I have held it up against the back of the motherboard, and it fits fine.

And big deal if its not full size. BS if those mounts aren't enough to support the board. Its a thick quality board as it is.
  6. saint19 said:
    Hi.

If u don't want Crossfire is a solid mobo BUT if u want it, go with a M4A79XTD EVO, that support Crossfire @ x8.

The board in discussion supports Sata 6Gb/s, whereas that board doesn't. The m4a87td is basically a budget board with recent technologies as I understand it.
  7. I have this board. It works great. Easy overclocking via the turboV utility.

Been running with everything highly overclocked for a week now, survived all tests with ease. This also has alot to do with lots of case cooling and a coolermaster v8 heatsink... but the board in general is running great
  8. Tc17 said:
    I'm guessing the last anonymous person who posted here is the one who left the anonymous negative review on Newegg. I find it stupid that someone rates a board down because of Linux sound issues. That is LINUX's fault, not any motherboards fault. Most people don't run Linux either.

As for the plate, I haven't installed mine yet, but I have held it up against the back of the motherboard, and it fits fine.

And big deal if its not full size. BS if those mounts aren't enough to support the board. Its a thick quality board as it is.

On the contrary. Microsoft do not create the majority of drivers for special hardware, nor should Linux developers be expected to. Good Linux drivers indicates either the selection of common, reliable chipsets on the part of the manufacturers, or the resources to contribute quality drivers themselves to the Linux kernel. Generally it means the Windows, and other OS drivers for that hardware are also of a higher quality as a result.
  9. I would go with it. I have an Asus M4A77TD ( I know it's not the board in question) but Asus makes QUALITY products in my eyes.

Good Luck
  10. I just built a dual boot Fedora 13 (Gnome)/Windows 7 using this mobo. I haven't run into any issues in Fedora yet, but the sound is significantly lower than the sound in Windows.
  11. Just wondering are you using SPDIF output, HDMI or the standard sound plugs? I've got FC13 on it and can not get the sound to work with Pulse or ALSA. I'm using the SPDIF output plug.

BTW: For the other poster. I too think it's reasonable to vote a board down because the manufacturer does not supply Linux drivers. It's not up to the OS you twit. Imagine a real manufacturer like IBM or HP saying it's up to Windows to create the drivers. :)
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Asus Reviews Evo Product