Sign in with
Your question

Closed GPU water cooling ?

Last response: in Overclocking
April 7, 2012 2:39:52 PM

I'm looking for a water cooling solution only for my GPU and CPU. Building my own kit seems very complicated and is discouraging me... I was wondering if there are closed GPU water cooling kits only for GPU ?

For example, Corsair CPU water cooling kits like the H70 are excellent... Why don't they make similar product for the GPU ?

Corsair has posted an article on their blog explaining how the H70 can be an effective water cooling solution for GPU, but it requires a lot of DIY stuff and modifications..
http://www.corsair.com/blog/using-a-hydro-series-h70-on...

Is there a similar product made specifically for GPU ?

It's for use on a XFX Radeon 6970 2GB DDR5
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 7, 2012 6:11:37 PM

if you are interested I can create a list out of the parts that I would buy. I will need to get a idea of the kind of set up you might be interested, for the particular set up you have in mind. but keep in mind that this is just my opinion of what I would get. nothing is set in stone here, I love to build water loops, there fun to me. because when I look at it, and ponder over it, I have something to tinker with later on when I won't it to run better. don't get discouraged where here to help.
a c 184 à CPUs
a c 149 K Overclocking
April 7, 2012 7:16:57 PM

Why not try building your own WC setup? Especially with a high end 6970 waterblock, it will look sleek and perform much better than any moded H series cpu cooler.
a b à CPUs
a c 76 K Overclocking
April 7, 2012 11:19:53 PM

Quote:
Why don't they make similar product for the GPU ?
give corsair, asetek and antec a buzz and see what they have to say bout your suggestion. Coolit had an idea as what you were mentioning but it was scrapped when corsair took over their assets.

@ toolmaker - we would've gone with the prescription technique but its the OP's loop and he'll need to make the maintenance's from his end. Like purchasing a car for the family, if he buys a ferrari only cos i told him to - it isn't going to make sense to him when he needs to leave the city via a dirt track :)  Truely, WC'ing has a hobbyists aspect to it and thas why we do it.

@ a muffin -
Quote:
Why not try building your own WC setup?
Quote:
Building my own kit seems very complicated and is discouraging me...

* you'll also understand that you looking to WC is cos you'd want better temps (and if OC'ing) better headroom i.e - temps (and perf) and if you look carefully, all the LCS' for the GPU have ONE 120 rad. That doesn't look good in terms of TDP and heat dissipation.

** here's an experiment - lemme lock you up in a room with no windows(+ ventilation) and keep the temp at a constant 32' ambient. this will continue for a week. You'll give up on the first day as my experiment'll need to deal with the heat inside the room as well as the heat you're giving off. the same would go if i left a thin slit in the same room. either way i can't remove the heat from teh room to make you feel comfortable inside that room.

hope this helps mate :) 
April 8, 2012 3:04:42 AM

Ok well if you guys want to help me to buy a real water cooling system i would really prefer that ! I've asked before but i was always referred to long and complicated guides hard to understand for a beginner... So i quickly discouraged myself :(  I'd prefer to ask for suggestions rather than having to read pages and pages of WC guides

But i warn you guys : I'm experienced with computers but definatly a newbie with the whole water cooling stuff... Beginner but willing to learn and very serious about it ! Just gonna have a lot of questions to ask...

I've already asked others about it and so far i was recommended a XSPC full water cooling kit. What do you guys think about this idea ?

I will copy what i asked in another forum :
Quote:
i need to replace my cooling system on my computer. It's making way too much noise for me.. Most of the noise is coming from my video card, the fan is VERY loud

- This is my first water cooling system. So i'd prefer something simple. A kit would be ideal, or something not too hard to assemble.

- Maintenance once or twice per year is fine, but no more than that

- Only GPU and CPU water cooling is needed

- GPU is heating a lot but my non-overclocked CPU is very cool (almost always under 50 degrees)

- Budget : $300-$400 maximum

- SILENCE !

My main concern is only noise. So i want a water cooling system as quiet as possible... A water cooling system with no more than one fan would be perfect.
I've been looking for the Reserator1 V2 but it's way too huge and many users are reporting problems with the pump and the coolant used. Lots of people are also reporting failtures after a couple of months.

Also looking for reliability, since this is my main PC in the house and it's on 24/7.

I'm an occasional gamer and i'm NOT an overclocker. Not even planning to overclock anything in the near future. My case already has good airflow (it's a cooler master HAF).
I don't care about the noise when gaming. But it's really annoying that my video card's fan is so loud when i'm only browsing the internet.

So, i'm looking for something VERY QUIET. i don't care about cooling performence for overclockers, i prefer silence over performence.

[PC]
Intel Core i7 2600k 3.4G 8M R
Gigabyte Z68A-GD65
XFX Radeon 6970 2GB DDR5
Cooler master haf 922
(4x) 4GB Kingston Hyper-X 1600
Aerocool Touch-2000
Samsung SSD
Kingwin Stryker 500w (fanless)

I'm a serious buyer, as soon as i can get help finding the best system for me i'll buy it ;) 

First i was recommended an Iwaki RD-30 pump, then someone talked about an XSPC full water cooling kit
a b à CPUs
a c 76 K Overclocking
April 8, 2012 5:06:20 AM

well the sticky shows you how to select a rad for the hot components you have. It then shows you what sort of fans to look for to go with your ears, rad and budget. Later teaching you what sort of tubing size and fittings to look for. - if you wanna go custom.

a kit is an easier step into WC'ing realm just need to know how to put them together. Just like assembling lego stuff. If you can't follow instructions then ... :)  you might be special :p 

Quote:
Beginner but willing to learn and very serious about it ! Just gonna have a lot of questions to ask...
thas great to know, but the questions you asked in that last thread were all covered in the sticky.

but hey, ask away and probably, i'll be quoting from the sticky :) 

* like said before silence means alot of things to alot of people. e.g: i can hear the "ticking" of a fan motor on its slowest rpm - 600rpm range. so i had to look for fans without the ticking or a compromise for good fans with ticking.

hope these help you, feel free to ask. i just hope i can answer them well enough.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 8, 2012 5:07:28 AM

well ok let's start with the basics then first I would decide on a tubing size I like to use 3/8 inch inner dimension or (ID) with 1/2 inch outer dimension (OD) keep in mind that not all blocks will go this large (EX : ran cooling blocks some HHD blocks and some chip set blocks these are can be designed for 1/4 inch (ID) tubing)but you are not currently interested in these kind of blocks you wont to cool the GPU. next pick out a pump and a radiator, I like compression fittings but they are expensive. I have used barbs before without incident but you half to put more forethought into how you will inshore that they will not leak. I like silicone for this per puss. you will also need the block for the GPU. I build a fill and drain contraption the cheap way but you can certainly build one the same way with higher quality parts the same basic design applies. here is how I do a fill system for my builds. http://www.fastfittings.com/plastic-push-in-fittings I use two T's and three shut off valves, you can usually find these at a hardware store. configured in this order T than shout off valve than the second T this should make a straight shot from one end to the other, now where the T's branch off is where the other two shout off valves go. now I usually would attach this right after the pump but any where will work. now you have the ability to force the system to flow throw a make shift reservoir. a 2 liter container or half gallon container works well for this purpose. attach hoses about two feet long to the ends of the two shout off valves, and put both of them into the container. you will need to fill the container with distilled water or whatever you use as a liquid coolant. ok so you know the direction of the flow, that is that, one of the hoses is putting water into the container. while the other one would be pulling water out of the container, pull the draw line out of the container. the easiest way I have found to prime a system is to either use a large syringe( not the type with a needle)but used for filling medical nutrition bags, for line feeders, or a squeeze bottle with a end that is large enough to be pushed into the end of the hose to make a tight fit. then start filling your system as much as possible by hand. then when you don't think that you can get any more air out of the system by hand. fill the intake hose as much as possible and shove it back into the container and turn your pump on. it may take a little time to get all of the air out of the system but the pump should be able to handle it from here. once all of the air is out of the system simply turn the intake and outlet valves off and the center valve to the on position remove the fill hoses from the shout off valves and you are done. or more expensive design of this would be to use these types of parts http://www.frozencpu.com/products/14595/ex-tub-1034/Bit... http://www.frozencpu.com/products/15161/ex-tub-1154/Alp... http://www.frozencpu.com/products/13555/ex-tub-953/Bits... http://www.frozencpu.com/products/10033/ex-tub-601/Bits... so you can see that there are cheap and expensive way of doing things I have built both and they work fine. its more about what you won't. so after you have made some chooses about what you would like to have as far as basic design. we can work on how to get those parts to work with each other. I like chemical resistant tubing for lots of reasons but I do not like the price.
April 8, 2012 5:43:30 AM

Quote:
well the sticky shows you how to select a rad for the hot components you have. It then shows you what sort of fans to look for to go with your ears, rad and budget. Later teaching you what sort of tubing size and fittings to look for. - if you wanna go custom.

I've started to read the sticky but i ended up more confused than i already was... That's why i gave up and thought about modding a Corsair H70 for my GPU.

Quote:
a kit is an easier step into WC'ing realm just need to know how to put them together. Just like assembling lego stuff. If you can't follow instructions then ... :)  you might be special :p 

A kit would be an advantage because i wouldn't have to select all pieces separatly. But am i disavantaged over a custom kits ?

Should i go with a XSPC kit or it would be quieter with a custom kit ?
As i said, i'm not overclocking so i don't need optimal performence. Just enough to lower the heat of my GPU so i can stop hearing this annoying fan !

As for the instructions, it's definatly not a problem, i have lot of experience playing with computer hardware so it shouldn't be hard. Just need to know what to buy, i'll do the rest by myself :) 

Quote:
* like said before silence means alot of things to alot of people. e.g: i can hear the "ticking" of a fan motor on its slowest rpm - 600rpm range. so i had to look for fans without the ticking or a compromise for good fans with ticking.

Let's say that my definition of a silent cooling system would be when i can hear the sound of my mechanical drives over the rest of my system, or at least that would be my objective for my Core i7 PC.

Quote:
I would decide on a tubing size I like to use 3/8 inch inner dimension or (ID) with 1/2 inch outer dimension (OD) keep in mind that not all blocks will go this large (EX : ran cooling blocks some HHD blocks and some chip set blocks these are can be designed for 1/4 inch (ID) tubing)but you are not currently interested in these kind of blocks you wont to cool the GPU.

Yes, i only want to cool my CPU and GPU, nothing more.

Quote:
I have used barbs before without incident but you half to put more forethought into how you will inshore that they will not leak.

Is water leaking a frequent problem with water cooling systems ?
I've been thinking about water cooling for years but was too scared to try it because i was afraid a water leaking could ruin my whole computer.

Like i said this computer is on 24/7 even when i'm not here or when i sleep. So i can't monitor it all the time to be sure there is no leaking.

That's another reason i was more trusting closed-loop water cooling like the Corsair H70. Looks more secure than a custom system...

Thanks for those useful instructions, toolmaker. Now i have a little idea of how it works..
To answer your last question i would definatly prefer to buy the expensive parts since i'm scared of leaks and i'm concerned with reliability !
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 8, 2012 6:04:38 AM

cool, glade I could be helpful, keep us posted on your decisions for this build, and any problems you may encounter along the way. keep in mind that you can build this loop outside of the computer for test purposes, than install afterword. that way you would not endanger your components until you are shore that the system does not leak.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 8, 2012 6:37:04 AM

first,closed loop kits aren't worth the price.they are not a big improvement over aircooling.
second,6970 isn't a very hot card.a good aftermarket cooler will do fine.
April 8, 2012 7:22:13 AM

Quote:
cool, glade I could be helpful, keep us posted on your decisions for this build, and any problems you may encounter along the way. keep in mind that you can build this loop outside of the computer for test purposes, than install afterword. that way you would not endanger your components until you are shore that the system does not leak.

Well for now that leaking danger kinda scared me... I can't monitor the system all the time to be sure it's not leaking.. Bought my computer 2 months ago so i really don't want to risk damaging it.

Are the all-in-one water cooling kits more secure and less vulnerable against leaks ?

Quote:
first,closed loop kits aren't worth the price.they are not a big improvement over aircooling.
second,6970 isn't a very hot card.a good aftermarket cooler will do fine.

Yes, but a closed loop kit would have allowed me to replace that noisy fan on my 6970, which is the only thing i wanted to do at start !
And if you say that the 6970 isn't very hot, then it shouldn't be a problem if closed WC kits are not a big improvement.

But since the only way to achieve that would be to arrange some sort of DIY fitting, i think i should forget this option...
a c 184 à CPUs
a c 149 K Overclocking
April 8, 2012 8:21:55 AM

You can always get an aftermarket heatsink and put some quiet fans on it... :) 
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 8, 2012 9:02:54 AM

I have systems that are 8 years old, and they still do not leak!!! it's about how you build them, and you seem to be willing to do this right, so don't be so scared. I leave my systems on all the time 24/7 jest like you do. the only time I check on them, is when I clean out the dust about every other month, or flushing the system once a year. once assembled these systems are really reliable.
here is what I put a loop on an AMD FX - 60 $ 400
asus A8V deluxe pro motherboard $ 300
OCZ platinum rev. 2 ECC 400 MHz memory $ 400
gigabyte designer edition 6800 GT $ 600
4 raptor HHD's 36.4 Gigabyties $ 600
so trust me, I understand your fear. it is a lot of money, and you do not won't to lose it on a water cooling failure. Now I really do trust these systems, I have been using them for 13 years, and it has gotten a lot easier sense then, so I hope this helps.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 8, 2012 9:08:57 AM

i guess you are using custom cooling.i rarely come across any watercooling failure if it's done properly,then it's really good.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 8, 2012 9:15:28 AM

now I spent darn near the same on my loop to cool all of it. but I am also cooling a lot more that you are planning to right now. that may change as you get into this more, are at least that is what I would hope for you, this should be fun, not scary.
April 8, 2012 10:51:22 AM

Quote:
I have systems that are 8 years old, and they still do not leak!!! it's about how you build them, and you seem to be willing to do this right, so don't be so scared. I leave my systems on all the time 24/7 jest like you do. the only time I check on them, is when I clean out the dust about every other month, or flushing the system once a year. once assembled these systems are really reliable.

Ok great, it reassures me. I'll just make sure to test it a lot with an old computer before putting it in my brand new Core i7.

Quote:
that may change as you get into this more

Yes, that's probably what will happen ! But i want to start slowly to be sure i know what i'm doing :p 

Soo tonight i spent many hours reading articles and i also talked with water cooling pros on another forum.

I almost decided to go the passive cooling way, using an Alphacool Cape Cora. Some says it would work, others highly discourage it... The reviews i have read almost convinced me, but i'm scared to invest $400 only to get overheating problems.

The other option would be to go with an XSPC kit. I've been recommended the following setup:
Quote:
MCP 350 Pump
XSPC Reservoir Top for Laing DDC
XSPC RS240 Radiator
Gentle Typhoon 1450 RPM x2
XSPC Rasa CPU Block
Suitable GPU Block

But i would definatly prefer to buy something better than that MCP 350 Pump. Lots of feedbacks are reporting early failture and trouble to get a warranty replacement. One guy on newegg even said it caught fire !! There's also an huge price difference between another pump that was recommended to me earlier ($60 for the MCP-350 against $200 for the Iwaki RD-30 that was suggested earlier)

I really want the quietest possible pump and i prefer to spend more money rather than buying something cheap.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 8, 2012 11:18:48 AM

I like swiftech, for blocks, radiators, and pumps. the MCW 655 by swiftech is all I buy today but they make other pumps and other companies have similar designs. I get a solid 5 years out of the swiftech pumps that I have bought. dont get me wrong i have gone cheep as well, and only got 2 years out of it. black ice radiators if space is an issue for the radiators. I do not like barb fittings, even for line converters. compression fitting all the way, less issues to deal with but they are more expensive, but it's not like this is cheap to begin with. I also like the bits power multi tank z 240 and up reservoirs, they not only look nice but have a lot of different positions that you can mount them in because of the design.
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
April 9, 2012 2:02:42 PM

Swiftech Edge or Drive kits (with the MCR320)

-or-

XSPC EX or RX360 kits with the D5 or DDC pump upgrade

With either, you'll need a GPU block for your video card (assuming it's just 1 card)

What hardware (CPU/GPUs(s)) are you looking to cool? i7 (socket 1155/1156, I assume) and what GPU(s)?
April 9, 2012 4:43:48 PM

I was about to buy that RX360 kit
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/15140/ex-wat-203/XSPC...

- XSPC RX240 Dual 120mm Rev 2
- XSPC Dual 5.25" Bay Reservoir
- Swiftech MCP655

However, i can't find the D5 or DDC pump upgrade.

However i heard a lot of good things about the MCP655 in that kit

I'm going to be cooling an XFX 6970 video card.

Now the problem is that apparently this is a non-ref card and people are telling me i'm going to need an universal GPU block... I've heard that there is a risk of it not fitting at all, or the vram won't be cooled... This is kinda scaring me :( 

I just checked on my video card box... here's some info, if this can help:
Model HD-697A-CN
Part: HD-697A-CNFC
It also says "version 1.2"

I also found two videos on Youtube with a video card that looks like mine... It doesn't looks too hard to install, but i can't really know, i have zero experience in this domain...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRppGog76Xc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfyzDaBEd3A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiCVyUunsD4
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
April 9, 2012 5:10:25 PM

According to http://www.coolingconfigurator.com, your card would appear to be a fit for EK 6970 v2 full cover blocks, but only 'visually'. This means that everything would appear to line up for fitment, but likely doesn't mean that it has been confirmed. According to their tool, they only list nickel plated blocks that are compatible, but I would be willing to think if there are blocks for the 6970 v2 models, those should fit.
April 9, 2012 6:05:07 PM

What is the difference between nickel plated blocks and other blocks ?

If i understand correctly, there is a small risk that it's not going to fit on my video card if i buy the EK water block ?

On this video the guy used an EK FC6970V2 block and it works on a non-reference XFX 6970:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mI2NHspjt4c&feature=rela...
He also explain why the reference blocks won't fit (looks like its because of capacitors placements)

So, unless there's something i didn't understand, it looks like that EK water block would fit ?
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
April 9, 2012 6:13:02 PM

Right; the v2 card is likely a non-ref PCB, which is why it has the block for it. It's likely that several vendors have this same non-reference layout which is why it might be a fit. You can also consider universal blocks, but here might be a bit more detail to help you decide what PCB you actually have:

http://www.swiftech.com/HD6970-HS.aspx

This is for the Swiftech MCW60/62/80 universal blocks and the heatsink model to use for a specific card model:

Quote:
Critical information:

The PCB revision numbers noted below represent the deciding factor to go by when selecting your Swiftech product,
rather than the brand and/or model number of the card.

Please carefully inspect your card to locate the PCB revision number. All brands using AMD reference PCB's normally
print this number on the card. It is usually located immediately above the gold PCI contacts (GPU side of the board).

Here is an example showing a PCB number 109-C20547 (the -00P at the end can be ignored)
Caution: 1 digit may make the difference between supported or not supported!

Quote:
XFX HD-697A-CNFC Radeon™ HD 6970 2GB- Same Model Number as below - Check PCB! 109-C20047 No
XFX HD-697A-CNFC Radeon™ HD 6970 2GB - Same Model Number as above - Check PCB! 109-C20447 Yes

It would seem that there are 2 different PCB versions for your card, and you will have to actually look in the example area above to determine which is which. This should also help determine if your card is actually AMD reference, or non-reference. It might also still work with EK blocks, but you might email them with these details, just to make sure.
April 9, 2012 6:30:46 PM

Thanks for those very useful infos !

I have my video card in my hands right now, the PCB is 109-c20447-00p

But on that link you just posted, there's a fan on the water block, that would add noise to my computer :( 
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
April 9, 2012 6:39:11 PM

That fan over the heatsink is optional...and is a 'suggestion' of what you could do if you wanted.

To add- not all fans are noisy. I think there is a very large misconception about how noisy fans are and how noisy pumps are when being compared to 'silence' and what is considered 'silent' by each user. It's an incredibly relative term that is unique to each person.

Quote:
XFX HD-697A-CNFC Radeon™ HD 6970 2GB - Same Model Number as above - Check PCB! 109-C20447 Yes

It would appear that your card would fit most full-cover blocks for this card model as these heatsinks from Swiftech are for reference PCB. Again, you might wish to email the water block manufacturer of your choice with the PCB information to confirm fitment of a specific block for your card.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 9, 2012 8:26:35 PM

cool!! that is a sweet card block, i like swiftech.
a b à CPUs
a c 76 K Overclocking
April 9, 2012 8:33:38 PM

that looks like a nice block. just drop a mail over at swiftech to be sure it'll go on your card. mail them a pic of the card and PCB numbering.

won't hurt to be sure before dropping $140 on a block of metal like that :) 
April 9, 2012 8:46:41 PM

Sooo...

My full kit would be :

- XSPC RX360 Triple 120mm Rev 2 (hope it can fit on my Cooler Master HAF-912 without too much trouble)
- 6 x XSPC - 7/16" x 5/8" Compression
- 8'x XSPC Tubing - UV Red/Orange (should be enough?)
- Distilled water + kill coil
- GPU Block: looks like this HD6900-2 would fit with my PCB (109-C20447 on XFX Radeon 6970) :
http://www.swiftech.com/KOMODO-HD6900.aspx#tab4

Now i have two choices...

if i buy the kit on frozencpu.com it comes with Swiftech MCP655 pump (D5 is out of stock)
If i buy from performance-pcs.com, it comes with D5 (Alphacool VPP Single)

Which pump would be the quietest one ?

I guess i have everything i need ?
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
April 9, 2012 8:59:11 PM

Quote:

if i buy the kit on frozencpu.com it comes with Swiftech MCP655 pump (D5 is out of stock)

These are all the same pump...Laing D5 refers to all the above.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 9, 2012 9:13:34 PM

ungovernable said:
Sooo...

My full kit would be :

- XSPC RX360 Triple 120mm Rev 2 (hope it can fit on my Cooler Master HAF-912 without too much trouble)
- 6 x XSPC - 7/16" x 5/8" Compression
- 8'x XSPC Tubing - UV Red/Orange (should be enough?)
- Distilled water + kill coil
- GPU Block: looks like this HD6900-2 would fit with my PCB (109-C20447 on XFX Radeon 6970) :
http://www.swiftech.com/KOMODO-HD6900.aspx#tab4

I guess i have everything i need ?

dont forget about the fill and flush system.
April 9, 2012 9:29:31 PM

Are you sure both pumps are the same ? On one website it says it's made by Alphacool and on the other website it says it's a Swiftech pump..

Yes i didn't forget about it ! But you said i can buy everything in an hardware store, and i have one right next to my appartment ! So as soon as i receive my W/C kit i'll go there.

Quote:
is this what you ment by a D5 pump.

No, i'm talking about this kit:
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_p...

"The Raystorm RX360 Extreme Kit includes these upgrades over previous Rasa Kits
Pump Upgrade to the D5 (Alphacool VPP Single)"
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 9, 2012 9:41:45 PM

well it is the same moter as the swiftech, so it should be a strong moter.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 9, 2012 9:46:59 PM

for the hardwear store build, tube supports are recommended highly, infact there needed.
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
April 9, 2012 9:59:25 PM

Quote:
Are you sure both pumps are the same ? On one website it says it's made by Alphacool and on the other website it says it's a Swiftech pump..

Yes, I am 100% sure. They are all Laing/Delphi D5 pumps, just rebranded and sold under different stickers.

April 9, 2012 10:51:31 PM

Quote:
for the hardwear store build, tube supports are recommended highly, infact there needed.

Do you mean that i should but it online ?
April 10, 2012 1:10:44 AM

Quote:
a lot of stores don't carry the nice inserts there not expensive, but also not in high demand. so online would be your best bet also the size of tubing you have chosen is a unusual size, so the store my not carry that size connectors either, and I like the pump it has nice upgrade ability.

Oh well i didn't chose any size of tubing, i just picked the default one... I thought it was a standard size... Which size should i pick then ?
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 10, 2012 1:19:11 AM

well the 1/2 in OD 3/8 in ID is a standard size found anyware but your selection is stronger any thick wall would be better but harder to find the fittings that fit or you end up with a full bits power fittings setup. not cheep!!
a b à CPUs
a c 76 K Overclocking
April 10, 2012 1:30:21 AM

if OP has gone with the XSPC raystorm kit with the VPP pump, then he'll def get the compression fittings which as XSPC say are low profile and come in chrome black. so that is top notch. no adjustments needed.

However has OP pulled the trigger on the purchase? best to confirm the tubing/fittings dia and the fans. if kit, then they come up as option which are MCQ's :) 
April 10, 2012 2:19:15 AM

No i didn't buy anything yet... Want to make sure everything is okay and that i have everything i need !

So if i understand correctly, tubing size doesn't matter since XSPC will already send me the compression fittings ? Should i still switch to a different size ?

Another off-topic question : Those colored water cooling tubings i see on youtube are really cool... Will i get the same effect with colored tubings or do i need to add dye to the water (i saw that for sale on frozencpu)

As for the fans, i found the ones coming with the XSPC kit to have higher than usual dBa for the speed they're running. So i prefer to buy something quieter from another store... Maybe a low noctua, scythe, or something like that. I'll start with only two 120mm, then upgrade to 3 if i end up overclocking.
a b à CPUs
a c 76 K Overclocking
April 10, 2012 2:36:33 AM

okay, if its this kit:
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/15140/ex-wat-203/XSPC...

you get options to select what hardware you want to include with the kit:
like tubing color
pump
cpu socket

tubing size is fixed, ID internal dia and OD outer dia
you're getting tubing and compression fitting of corresponding need so you dont need to select the fittings. However you will need fittings for the gpu water block you've chosen. i.e two compression fittings of any vendor, if you want to keep the theme of the XSPC kit, look for XSPC low profile compression in frozen - they are all easy to find.

Quote:
Those colored water cooling tubings i see on youtube are really cool... Will i get the same effect with colored tubings or do i need to add dye to the water (i saw that for sale on frozencpu)
the dyes only break up over time and gunk up systems and the restrictive parts of your loop.

the colored tubing is the other route where you use only distilled and the color of tubing changes due to UV light or reaction.

select the highest RPM fans which are the yate loons and get a fan controller to quiet them down.

i couldn't help it, get two of these
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/12504/ex-tub-789/XSPC... for the GPU block
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 10, 2012 3:35:53 AM

ungovernable said:
No i didn't buy anything yet... Want to make sure everything is okay and that i have everything i need !

So if i understand correctly, tubing size doesn't matter since XSPC will already send me the compression fittings ? Should i still switch to a different size ?

Another off-topic question : Those colored water cooling tubings i see on youtube are really cool... Will i get the same effect with colored tubings or do i need to add dye to the water (i saw that for sale on frozencpu)

As for the fans, i found the ones coming with the XSPC kit to have higher than usual dBa for the speed they're running. So i prefer to buy something quieter from another store... Maybe a low noctua, scythe, or something like that. I'll start with only two 120mm, then upgrade to 3 if i end up overclocking.

right, bits power makes all the fittings you would need for a good loop of the tubing size you chose as the example, but trying to find the plastic fittings of that same size might be difficult.
April 10, 2012 3:45:58 AM

Quote:
tubing size is fixed, ID internal dia and OD outer dia

Yes it's this kit.

The same kit is available on performance-pcs.com and you can chose tubing size
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_p...

If it is better to go with a different size, i can order from this website instead of frozencpu

Quote:
select the highest RPM fans which are the yate loons and get a fan controller to quiet them down.

And you are sure that it will end up being quieter than noctua low-rpm fans ?

Awesome thanks a lot ! I'll get 2 of them
a b à CPUs
a c 76 K Overclocking
April 10, 2012 4:09:22 AM

if your tubing dia will change then the fittings measurements will also change accordingly.

Quote:
'silence' and what is considered 'silent' by each user. It's an incredibly relative term that is unique to each person.
those noctus - NF P-12 are NOT designed as radiator fans, your call to dish out money. if you reduce the rpm of a high rpm fan you'll achieve the silence you may be looking for and when your temps go up, you can turn them up to desired level. If you ahve low rpm fans to begin with there's not much you can do to dissipate heat other than getting new fans which'll weigh heavy on your wallet.

:/  after 2~3 threads and 47 posts you've hit on the 2 compression's...[:lutfij:2] either th sticky was a wasted read or you didn't read it. mate honestly theres a wealth of info. even i didn't understand t at first but i read it anyway until i got it.
April 10, 2012 4:48:43 AM

Oh ok, i didn't know it made a big difference if i'm not using fans specifically designed for radiators... I've seen many users saying they were using them so i thought it would be ok...

As for the threads, one was for cooling my HTPC which ended up being a discussion about air fans. So this was not the place to discuss about W/C my core i7 + gpu.
This one was about modding a CLOSED w/c. When i realised i changed mind and that i wanted to go with a real water cooling system i created another thread specifically for w/c my core i7, but nobody was answering. So i went back to this one.
Usually on a forum, it's one topic per different subject. Don't blame me for just wanting to make things more clear...

I can't even imagine how i would have found out for the specific GPU block i need to use because i have a non-reference card, even on google i can't find much about water cooling my card. If i just read the sticky without posting here, i would have ended up buying the wrong thing.

I think all of my questions have been answered and i'm ready to buy now... So it's useless to blame me...

Anyway, thanks to everyone for their help.
!