Deleted member 3023

Which of the 3 has better performance & reliability:

1. WD Caviar Green 500GB SATA
2. WD Caviar Blue 500GB SATA
3. Seagate Barracuda 500GB SATA

gracefully

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
The WDC Green did quote a speed of around 5400 - 7200 RPM, vs. the 5400 of the WDC Blue. As for the barracuda, you have to check the spindle speed of the hard drive to make a comparison. Seagate and Western Digital both make good drives; none of their products have failed on me yet.

The Blue is their normal range model and is 7200 RPM. The Green is between 5400 and 7200, probably closer to the 5400 mark. Their Black version runs at 7200 RPM but is faster than both. The green version was designed to be a low power alternative and performs accordingly. I am unsure about the seagate. I would, however, recommend the WD Caviar Black 500GB SATA. Some may recommend samsung spinpoints, saying they are faster and more reliable. The recommendations appear consistent. The only reason I do not is because I have no experience with them (They seem scarce in Canadian retail stores).

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
Western Digital has served me well so far, however the three drives you have listed are SATA drives, or in otherwards consumer-grade drives, or in otherwards crap/cheap. They can fail on you at any time. If you want reliability/performance, look into Fibre Channel drives. Out of those three i think WD takes the spot from personal expirience.

D

Deleted member 3023

Thanks everyone for the info, I'll probably go w/the WD Green. As for the Fibre Channel drives, I'll pass.

p1n3apqlexpr3ss

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010
Corey, i would recommend the WD black, the green series uses less power but the black series performs alot better, im sure there will be a noticeable difference in load times and boot times going with the black over green. Theyre around the same price anyways