OC my CPU worth it?

casshern09

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
Hey folks,

I have never tried doing any overclocking before so wanted some advice. First of all, as the title reads, is it worth it for me?
My rig is below.
just wondered if it would give any significant increase that would make it worth my while.
If so can anyone give any advice on changing voltage etc as I have no clue.
Also would any water cooling be needed?

Thanks in advance.

Intel i7 970 3.2ghz (6 cores)
16GB DDR3 RAM
2 x GTX 680 SLI
Asus Rampage III Extreme Mobo
Recon 3D Fatality Series Sound Card
512GB Crucial SSD
2 TB SATAIII HDD
12x RW Bluray Drive.
HAF X Coolermaster Case
1200W PSU
Win 7

akxpckwb

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012
Totally not worth it IMO.
With that system you can probably run anything at any settings with little effort. Hell you can probably even underclock it a bit and it will still run most of the stuff on very high settings.

You could do it tho just to try it or something. There's a guide in the overclocking forum

casshern09

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
Thanks for the answer. I only asked as someone on a random forum the other day was asking why I didn't have it OC. I have never bothered with it so thought I would ask.
Anyway thanks for the input :)

The older i7s overclock crazily, depending on the games you play you will see a significant boost. I am assume you are playing BF3, Metro or some other game with multiple or one high end monitor?

XXspardaxX

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2012
well if you are playing BF3 and the frame rates are constantly fixed at 120 fps without any major drop which could hinder your game-play preformance ( stuttering ) then i advise you not to bring yourself the headache with overclocking . if not then try to get your CPU to 4.0 GHz at least if not more .