Sign in with
Your question

System built... What now?

Last response: in Systems
November 15, 2009 2:44:28 PM

I've been poking around and can't find a thread but imagine there has to be one.

Now that my system is built (and it posted!) what do I do now?
Do I tweak BIOS and then install OS or the other way around?
What's the best way to figure out best settings for my components? RAM, MB, etc.

Thanks and I'll be adding pictures of the build to my other thread.

More about : system built

November 15, 2009 4:55:48 PM

First you test memory with memtest.

http://www.memtest.org/

You want an 8 hour error less run to prove it is good. If not you trouble shoot.

Then install OS and drivers. Assuming everything is working fine, you run prime95 for an hour or two (some suggest up to eight is better) to burn in system and test it under load. Run selecting CPU test.

http://majorgeeks.com/Prime95_d4363.html

While running that test, monitor temperature using speedfan rates to ensure no issues

http://download.cnet.com/SpeedFan/3000-2094_4-10067444....

If everything is operating well, I suggest going to pcpitstop.com to test and benchmark system. They have a set of free tests they run that will report common system issues, list outdated drivers you might want to unpdate, and report basic benchmarks for common components. You can run it anonomously or log in and save results to compare with later benchmarks. Or you can purchase software that will you provide more extensive benchmarking.

Hopefully everything runs well and nothing needs tweaking. If you want to overclock, then I suggest googling "how to overclock" and to start reading up on it or just start reading the posts in that forum on this site.
m
l
November 15, 2009 5:02:40 PM

Forget running memtest unless you have a problem with crashing. You only need to run Prime 95 if your overclocking.

I would install the OS then mess with the bios.
What are your specs?
m
l
Related resources
November 15, 2009 5:19:05 PM

cory1234 said:
Forget running memtest unless you have a problem with crashing. You only need to run Prime 95 if your overclocking.

I totally disagree.

I have run memtest and had it go for over 10 iterations and operate in test mode for over 15 minutes before returning an error. This shows you can have a timing issue lurking in the background and not know it. Better to test and find out now. They are also easier to fix this way. If you wait until later when other devices are operating and other software installed, you many not know what caused the disruption - whether a conflict with some other device or even a software issue - and spend hours trying to diagnose the problem. Or worse, what if a memory error does not crash system but returns an incorrect value in an Excel spreadsheet or something similar and you don't know you have bad data?

And Prime 95 is good to make sure you don't have overheating issues, which might arise from poor design configuration, improper heatsink installation, fan issues, or many other problems. Confirming good temps under load is a basic post construction necessity when following good build procedures.
m
l
November 15, 2009 7:37:44 PM

cory1234 said:

I would install the OS then mess with the bios.
What are your specs?

Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601920

ASUS P6T LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard

GIGABYTE GV-R485MC-1GI Radeon HD 4850 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card

COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 700 RS-700-AMBA-D3 700W ATX12V V2.3 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Mushkin Enhanced Redline 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model 998691

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7 compatible RR-B10-212P-GP 120mm

COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail

m
l
November 15, 2009 7:41:47 PM

rockyjohn said:
First you test memory with memtest.

http://www.memtest.org/

You want an 8 hour error less run to prove it is good. If not you trouble shoot.

Then install OS and drivers. Assuming everything is working fine, you run prime95 for an hour or two (some suggest up to eight is better) to burn in system and test it under load. Run selecting CPU test.

http://majorgeeks.com/Prime95_d4363.html

While running that test, monitor temperature using speedfan rates to ensure no issues

http://download.cnet.com/SpeedFan/3000-2094_4-10067444....

If everything is operating well, I suggest going to pcpitstop.com to test and benchmark system. They have a set of free tests they run that will report common system issues, list outdated drivers you might want to unpdate, and report basic benchmarks for common components. You can run it anonomously or log in and save results to compare with later benchmarks. Or you can purchase software that will you provide more extensive benchmarking.

Hopefully everything runs well and nothing needs tweaking. If you want to overclock, then I suggest googling "how to overclock" and to start reading up on it or just start reading the posts in that forum on this site.

Thanks very much for all this info. I am running Memtest now. Also was wondering what you mean by "8 hour errorless run." Do I just leave the computer on for 8 hours?
m
l
November 15, 2009 8:26:26 PM

Yesm just leave the computer on.

You can run it first for 10 passes - how long that takes depends on amount and speed of memory. If that passes, you have that measure of reliability and you can go on to the prime95 test. Then come back at night and run memtest for 6 to 8 hours overnight.
m
l
November 15, 2009 10:03:19 PM

Install free antivirus and firewall software before you go on line the first time.

I overclock my systems so I test with memtest86 and Prime95 on the stock system just to make sure that the base system is solid.
m
l
!