Sign in with
Your question
Solved

7200.12 vs Caviar Black

Last response: in Storage
October 11, 2011 6:35:11 PM

Is there a difference? I have used both drives in the past, and am planning on doing a 1 - 2 tb raid array (2x 500gb or 2x 1tb). I've been looking at hard drives and the Caviar black's are usually ~$10-$20 more expensive, so I'm thinking seagate will be the way to go. The only possible differences I can see between drives I compare are sometimes the WD black has more cache than the seagate, but AFAIK that doesnt make very much difference at all.

Also, kind of a side question, my motherboard says it supports raid 0/1/5/10 is it fine to just use my motherboard to do raid? Does a raid controller card really make a big difference as far as performance?

More about : 7200 caviar black

Best solution

a b G Storage
October 11, 2011 7:51:41 PM

Do not buy WD drives with the intention of using raid with them unless you get the RE series. Their normal drives will not reliably work in a Raid set.

Research tler for more info on this.
October 11, 2011 10:36:47 PM

Damn, I didnt know about that, thanks alot for the information.

I'll probably go with seagate, but you've just solidified it now :p 

What are your thoughts on not using a raid card, will I loose any performance?
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
October 12, 2011 10:22:31 AM

Performance wise it probably wouldn't be noticeably different running from mb or an addon raid card. A lot of people like to use addon cards in case the controller dies, and needs replaced. With an addon card you just need to replace the card with an identical one which depending on how safe you need the data to be some people buy two of the same card and just keep an extra one in case the original fails. If you're running of the controller on a mb then it becomes much more of an issue if the controller dies.
m
l
October 12, 2011 11:48:14 AM

tomatthe said:
Do not buy WD drives with the intention of using raid with them unless you get the RE series. Their normal drives will not reliably work in a Raid set.

Research tler for more info on this.

While tomatthe is exactly correct, it may not matter too much if you are using Raid in a home environment. I currently have 5 computers in a home network, and each has a Raid1 array using Intel MB support. Each Raid array has of 2 identically sized WD Caviar Black non-RE drives (500MB, 640MB, or 1TB). If I add together the number years each computer has been running with Raid, it represents about 15 years of Raid use. In that time I have had to allow the Raid software to rebuild an array only 3 times, once due to a drive failure, and twice due to false notices. In the latter case, the software reported a problem, but rebuilding the array with the same drive cleared up the problem.

So if you can live with a rare rebuild, you can save money by not using the RE version.
m
l
a b G Storage
October 12, 2011 12:35:57 PM

Just buy a diff manufacture and you won't have issues. The WD black drives worked fine in raid sets prior to Jan 2010 when the switched the firmware around to basically have them drop out due to the time limited error recovery mess. I have 3 1tb wd black drives which were originally in a raid 5 set working great for a year, 1 died, and the replacement won't stay in a raid set for more then a day.
m
l
October 12, 2011 1:46:25 PM

tomatthe said:
Just buy a diff manufacture and you won't have issues. The WD black drives worked fine in raid sets prior to Jan 2010 when the switched the firmware around to basically have them drop out due to the time limited error recovery mess. I have 3 1tb wd black drives which were originally in a raid 5 set working great for a year, 1 died, and the replacement won't stay in a raid set for more then a day.

Interesting. I have 2 Raid sets built using 1TB WD Black (SATA II) drives built since then, and have had no problems yet. I like the WD Black because of the 5 year warranty. But I will be sure to watch them carefully from now on, thanks to your experience.
m
l
a b G Storage
October 12, 2011 3:39:06 PM

I'm not sure if TLER will matter a whole lot in RAID-1, but in RAID-5 I don't know that I'd want anything else.
RAID-0 and RAID-1 work fairly well on mobo controllers, but RAID-5 will SUCK compared to using a dedicated RAID card.
m
l
October 14, 2011 11:06:53 PM

I've decided to go with the 7200.12 its cheaper and I secretly kind of like seagate more then wd.

I don't really have any important data. I will mostly be using the setup as storage. I have a wd green drive right now and my ssd with windows and a few apps on it. But the green drive is slow it was originally meant for pure storage but now has a bunch of apps on it. I figure I'll put the raid array along side my ssd and i'm debating if I should keep my 750 gb green drive in my comp just as pure storage for movies and t.v.

anyhow what's the failure rate of a raid 0 array I've never had a hard drive fail on me. In theory I don't see how a raid 0 array is any less reliable than just 1 hard drive aside from the fact if 1 drive somehow dies you lose all your data.

As long as I get 3 or more years out of it I'll be laughing. Hell in 2 or 3 years I'll probably have replaced then by then.
m
l
October 15, 2011 1:58:30 AM

HaGGardSmurf said:
anyhow what's the failure rate of a raid 0 array I've never had a hard drive fail on me. In theory I don't see how a raid 0 array is any less reliable than just 1 hard drive aside from the fact if 1 drive somehow dies you lose all your data.

N drives with a probability of p of failing have a probability of 1-(1-p)^N of one of the drives failing. If the probability of failing is low, then it is twice as likely for a two volume RAID 0 array to fail as a single drive.

Of course, RAID does not replace backups, but my RAID10 array has saved me from doing painful restores from backups.
m
l
October 16, 2011 9:00:20 PM

So this will do the trick? Link

It'll come out to under $100 and I have a $100 gift card for best buy so I figure I'll buy them instead of the 1TB drives. Anyhow, that drive will work fine right? Just want to make sure its not some weird version of the drive.
m
l
October 24, 2011 10:57:33 PM

Best answer selected by haggardsmurf.
m
l
!