NathanSuite

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010
Every time I say that I have no interest in overclocking, but I want to use a liquid cooling system I always some guy telling me, you don't need it. Well humor me, lol. So here's what I'm asking. I've been eye-balling the Thermaltake BigWater kit for some time now, but after some consideration I've decided to ask the community to help me decide on which liquid cooling kit I should get. I'm looking for a cooling system that is easy to set up, not too expensive, and can do a good job of keeping the cpu under the average temperature than that of a cpu that uses a fan cooling system. Any good brands to consider? I've heard talk about how good the Corsair H50 is, but are there any other cooling systems that are just as good regardless if they're from the same company or not, just so that I have more options available to me. Thanks people! :)

Btw, this cooling system will be used on a Core i5-750.

Yes, avoid the TT BigWater, it is a terrible solution.
Corsair's H50 is not necessarily bad, just not any better than a good air cooler.
The only WC kit I could recommend would be This One from Swiftech.
Everything you need for your first loop and far better than what you are now considering.

In the price range you are looking at, that is probably the best kit you can get.
Nothing really wrong with it, I have just heard of one or two cases where the Apogee Drive unit leaked from the factory....
So, if you do decide to go this route, make sure to test the assembled loop without any components in the case.
Really is a quite good price for that kit :)

NathanSuite

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010
Well, I like the fact that I can feel good knowing that the cpu is cooler, but at the same time it kind of makes my nerves high, because I'm investing a lot into this "power house" lol

NathanSuite

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010

You know I just remembered that not too long ago I spoke about liquid cooling systems with someone. They said that I might want to consider comparing different fluids because some do a better job than others. Any thoughts?

As long as you are not using Fluid XP+, performance is fairly comparable between fluids.
I remember seeing a review on this a while back and I think there was a maximum of 1° or 2° variation between all tested fluids.
Not really worth worrying about.

If you get the Swiftech kit, just use the stuff that comes with it.
If you build your own kit, add some PT_Nuke to some distilled water and call it a day.

Although the kit is terrible, I have never heard of any good WC components from Gigabyte.
Most of Gigabyte's other products are top notch...

If you are looking at building it yourself, make sure to read through the sticky.
I am not sure if you will be able to make a good loop for any less than the Swiftech kit above though.
Make sure you post your components for review before pulling the trigger!

NathanSuite

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010
Your first link is broken....

Hate to break it to you, Thermaltake's water coolers are also junk :??:
If this is the price range you are looking at, I really think the second Swiftech kit is the best you can get.
Much higher quality than any other kit under $200.
Don't worry about having to mount it internally, most real loops will need the radiator mounted outside the case.

NathanSuite

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010
This block will work for you and it's cheap. They're better ones but it all depends on how much you wanna spend

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/9688/ex-blc-643/Danger_Den_MPC-CPU_Liquid_Cooling_Block_-_Socket_LGA_1156_i3_i5_i7.html?tl=g30c323

That is a cool WB, I think I might go with that instead. But anyway I found two 80mm radiators that would be able to fit my case.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/9713/ex-rad-168/Black_Ice_GTX_Xtreme_M80_Dual_Pass_Liquid_Cooling_Radiator_-_Single_80mm.html?tl=g30c95s157

http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g30/c95/s157/list/p1/Liquid_Cooling-Radiators-80mm_Single-Page1.html

BTW, thanks for referring me that site. The more the merrier because at least I can shop around for the lowest price.

You are going to need a bit more radiator than that.
For your CPU, you should be looking at a minimum of a 240mm radiator (2 x 120mm fans) with a 360mm radiator being recommended.
With those tiny radiators, you will get lower performance than the Corsair H50 you where originally considering...

airwolfflies

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010

First of all you need to STOP listening to members who only talk about your problem, they most likely have no experience with liquid cooling systems or only know of the high priced ones. I although am a new member, but as to your problem I definitely have a workable AND affordable solution to your overheating problems. I have the Musscool Liquid Cooling System for my cpu and the units price was below $65 at Fry's here in my home state of Washington and they also have an online store so you could get it online and have them ship it to you, if you are too far from a Fry's outlet.

I have the Asus M4N78 Pro MB and an AMD Athalon X2 250 3GHZ cpu and 6GB of DDR2 RAm with the 64 bit Windows 7 Home Premium OS and after installation which was quite easy, the PC Probe program that comes with my Asus MB has never read more than 32c even with overclocking on Crysis, and COD4. Very easy to install and less than 65 bucks! A win win solution for you and if you need help there are lots of folks at computer stores who could probably assist you or point you in the right direction. Go to photobucket.com and check out my pics of my system setup with the Musscool Liquid cpu cooling system. The photo album is airwolfflies.

Hope my tip helps your problem.
airwolfflies

:heink:

Your Masscool LCS is identical to the Corsair H50.
The H50 is, in fact, a rebag of the Masscool LCS.

I DO have a WC loop (check my config for the particulars), PsychoSaysDie has an H50 (same as your cooler) and several other coolers.
He, and many review sites, have tested the H50 against air cooling and find the H50 no better than a decent air cooler.
In fact, it performs worse than a good air cooler.

Nothing we have suggested here is expensive for a water cooling loop, quite the opposite in fact.
Liquid cooling is inherently more expensive than air.
It also is much quieter and cooler.

Please learn something on the subject before insulting other members and posting 'facts'.