Looking for an SSD

Tags:
  • SSD
  • Vertex
  • Motherboards
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
October 11, 2011 8:54:08 PM

So I've come to the conclusion that I want to buy an SSD. I have picked out either an OCZ Vertex 3 120GB or A-DATA S511 120GB to go for.

My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 with one of the first SATA-III 6Gbps controllers (Marvel 9128???). I've read bad things about it and haven't found anything recently about it being used with newer SSD's.

I'm just wondering whether it is worth spending £170 on these recent SSD's with their high read/write speeds if this controller is going to hold them back as I'd much rather get the best speeds and save my money.

More about : ssd

a c 411 G Storage
a b V Motherboard
October 11, 2011 9:58:52 PM

I have good news for you.

I checked the Intel Motherboard Database

Then just to be sure I checked a few more references.

Your motherboard is equipped with the Intel B65 chipset. It has an integrated Intel Controller for one SATA 3 6Gb/s solid state drive. It does not use a Marvell controller for SATA 3 6Gb/s support. I checked and verified the information.

For optimal performance you'll need to check for any updates for your sytem BIOS and motherboard. You'll also need to download and install the newest Intel drivers and updates. I believe Intel issued brand new updates a few days ago.

SSD's equipped with SandForce controllers have experienced more than their fair share of problems. OCZ in particular has been hit pretty hard. Recently during a six month period OCZ had to issue 5 firmware updates/fixes for their ssd's.

The Crucial M4 is a very popular ssd that is relatively problem free. It does use a Marvell controller but it is a newer version that works very well.
October 12, 2011 9:36:29 PM

JohnnyLucky said:
I have good news for you.

I checked the Intel Motherboard Database

Then just to be sure I checked a few more references.

Your motherboard is equipped with the Intel B65 chipset. It has an integrated Intel Controller for one SATA 3 6Gb/s solid state drive. It does not use a Marvell controller for SATA 3 6Gb/s support. I checked and verified the information.

For optimal performance you'll need to check for any updates for your sytem BIOS and motherboard. You'll also need to download and install the newest Intel drivers and updates. I believe Intel issued brand new updates a few days ago.

SSD's equipped with SandForce controllers have experienced more than their fair share of problems. OCZ in particular has been hit pretty hard. Recently during a six month period OCZ had to issue 5 firmware updates/fixes for their ssd's.

The Crucial M4 is a very popular ssd that is relatively problem free. It does use a Marvell controller but it is a newer version that works very well.

From that site you linked and I found my motherboard and it says Marvel 9128.

GA-P55A-UD3 ATX 1156 P55 2 x 2.0 Xfire 2 ports N/A Marvell 9128 N/A 2 ports Product Page

Does that change what you said in your message? If not is it O.K to go ahead and buy one of the drives I mentioned in the OP. I've read about the m4 and was tempted but it uses an old controller and I thought all the SandForce problems were in the past now. Thanks for the reply :) .
a c 411 G Storage
a b V Motherboard
October 12, 2011 10:07:00 PM

You're right. I must have got things mixed up. :( 

Found it - I looked at the GA-P65A-UD3 instead of the GA-P55A-UD3

My bad. Sorry about that.

You should still be okay even with a Marvell controller on the motherboard. You probably won't niotice any difference in performance. That's why synthetic benchmarks grosssly exagerate minor differences in performance.