Sign in with
Your question

XFX IS TALKING ABOUT ATI 5970; should be around shortly i think.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 21, 2009 8:13:48 AM

http://xfxforce.com/en-gb/products/graphiccards/HD%2050...

This sounds completely massively, obsurdly overkill. The new ATI 5970, i'm guessing that it is two 5870s put together into a single graphics card? I can imagine how it will compare to the gtx 295, if one 5870 is almost as good as a gtx 295 anyway. This things should nail almost any game. Or any game on highest settings with aa and af. I think this is ATI smashing down hard on NVIDIA now, and i look at nvidia and they are still dealing with the GT 200 cards lol. ATI are making sure they stay in victory for a long time i am guessing. I think i heard some people talking about how it's going to be like the 8800gtx (or the really long version) in terms of length size because it is soo long. I'm just asking for a discussion about what people think about it.
a b U Graphics card
November 21, 2009 8:15:50 AM

There are reviews out already - check the main page. It's a pair of underclocked 5870s (1600SP, but with the same clocks as a 5850). It's basically awesome in every way.
November 21, 2009 8:25:00 AM

i've just reallised that there are other posts about the card lol, it must have been out for a couple of days already? Although i'm not interested in buying the card, i'm interested in the sheer scale of the graphics power that it has. Hopefully i might buy the 5850 or NVIDIA's counterpart if they ever come back with one in the future so that i can tackle Crysis on medium with aa and af as smooth as possible on 1280 x 1024. I suppose it will make sense, with some more dx 11 games coming out, and more games requiring 256mb of graphics minimum. When somemore new games with high graphical requirements come out, it won't be so overkill i am guessing. The 5970 still isn't enough for Crysis (highest settings 60 FPS with aa and af) as it is. But stil it goes to show that NVIDIA must be seriously underprofiting on the gaming sector, seeing how ATI appeal more mainstream and extremely high end as well.
November 21, 2009 2:19:48 PM

lol, yes i live in a card board box. are you going to penalise me for it?
November 21, 2009 2:31:29 PM

Yes, we are going to pour water on your box and make it all soggy.
November 21, 2009 2:32:26 PM

lol, anyway, i'll just leave this post open for people to discuss the graphics card then.

Do you think that that hasn't already happened lol, the rain etc.
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
November 21, 2009 7:39:26 PM

djcoolmasterx said:
Yes, we are going to pour water on your box and make it all soggy.

:lol: 

Damn there's no 'best answer' option for this thread, but that, SIR, gets my vote !! [:thegreatgrapeape:3]

November 21, 2009 7:46:45 PM

You said it was to 5870s put together but they're both clocked the same as a 5850. Does anyone actually know the length of this card. Don't think it will fit in my computer lol. It probably will but things will get hot inside the case. I wonder when the time will come a single graphics card can fully master crysis, getting 60 -75 fps average with aa and af on highest settings. At least on 1280 x 1024 resolution. Does anyone have any reviews for Call Of Duty Modern Warfare 2? I hope that's not also a card destroyer seeing how it asks for the same specs as crysis does.
November 21, 2009 8:04:55 PM

Nashsafc said:
You said it was to 5870s put together but they're both clocked the same as a 5850. Does anyone actually know the length of this card. Don't think it will fit in my computer lol. It probably will but things will get hot inside the case. I wonder when the time will come a single graphics card can fully master crysis, getting 60 -75 fps average with aa and af on highest settings. At least on 1280 x 1024 resolution. Does anyone have any reviews for Call Of Duty Modern Warfare 2? I hope that's not also a card destroyer seeing how it asks for the same specs as crysis does.

Crysis is old news! I have no idea why people obsess over this damn game... It only serves as benchmarking anyway. There are much cooler games that doesn't require alien technology in order to run at decent frame rates. For example, COD2 MW runs alot smoother than Crysis on a same system and it's a brand new game.
a b U Graphics card
November 21, 2009 8:13:18 PM

On 1280x1024, a 5970 would under perform because of scaling at low resolutions.

yeah and MW2 runs a bit slower that Cod5 thats it
November 21, 2009 8:27:35 PM

so mw2 wouldn't be like crysis at all? If i got a 5850 i should easilly get 80 FPS with mw2 on max settings with aa x4 and af x 8 at that resolution. But seeing how crysis is a graphics card destroying game, i thought that playing it even with a superior card at a lower resolution should increase the FPS. Does mw2 actually look really close to crysis in terms of graphics? Maybe it could be because crysis was an early 256mb graphics game? Could that be, or mean anything, which is why cards run it fairly slow. I don't know what to say about crysis, whether its a good game or not, the story and weapons and gameplay seems good, but the graphics destroying part annoys me soo much. I was playing it at low settings at that low resolution with my GTS 250 and i also have the fastest 3 core overclocked to 3.2ghz with 4gb ram, and i was getting just over 60 FPS average. No aa or af either.
a b U Graphics card
November 21, 2009 8:36:48 PM

1:Yeah you might could even max it out with a 4870 at 1280x1024
2:Yes, superior cards work better all around but thats only applicable to single gpu cards. Because of how dual gpu cards work and how they split the screen, they don't show their true performance at low resolutions.
3:No it's not really close to Crysis.
4:Crysis is "an early 256mb vram game" but it was made for hardware we have right now, so in a sense, its still technologically very much ahead of MW2 which uses DirectX9 as opposed to DirectX 10 with crysis.
November 21, 2009 8:44:35 PM

do you rekon nvidia will ever come out with a new graphics card for gaming to compete with the ati new 5000 range? I'm thinking that they can't leave the time for too long, because they are underprofitting, is it well known that the two graphic companies in the past have done that? Left massive inequalities between each other and then the other one brings out something to rush ahead of the other? I just read some information telling me that nvidia failed with their experimental cards and so its going to be a long long time before nvidia launches a new card am i right?
a b U Graphics card
November 22, 2009 1:58:53 AM

1. Of course, they wouldn't be NVIDIA if they didnt
2. Umm well they're not losing too much money because both companies at this point are just clearing out the previous gen's stock. And at points in the market, there have been times when one of the companies were simply not competitive and lost money, they both have survived.
3. Yes, it will be a long time, but only in the enthusiast sense. They should be coming around H1 next year. Btw, they didn't fail, they just didn't hit the speeds they were going for, i'm sure they'll make some revisions and speed it up.

Final thing to keep in mind: While in raw power nvidia/ati might not pass one another, they always come up with a selling point. Last generation could be characterized by nvidia performing better but ati had more value. If that flip-flops, neither company will really be hurt that much
November 22, 2009 9:10:08 AM

do you rekon nvidia will be able to compete with the aspect about ATI's energy efficiency, i want to by an nvidia card in the future, but i want to justify why i went for nvidia. Also ATI's size as well, they have managed to significantly reduce the size or keep the size oftheir componenets smaller than expected for exceptional performance increases.
a b U Graphics card
November 22, 2009 1:38:33 PM

Well my friend, I think you've made the first mistake here. I too, because of advertising and brand recognition used to assume nvidia was always better and wanted to buy nvidia over ati. I ended up buying a 9400GT for the same money as say, a 4650. Bad decision right? It's best to look at which chip maker's cards suit you best at the time, don't decide off the bat which one to get.

About energy efficiency, I think nvidia should be able to compete with nvidia but they just have been making rather large and expensive to produce chips and now they're adding even more transistors that aren't for gaming into Fermi (they're for Cuda)
November 22, 2009 1:53:38 PM

i preferably want an nvidia card because my motherboard is nforce. At the time when i bought the motherboard it had better options available than other boards. obviously i should go with which ever card is better for performance to price.
a b U Graphics card
November 22, 2009 3:54:44 PM

it shouldn't matter unless your motherboard supports SLI. Does it?
November 22, 2009 4:12:43 PM

hybrid SLI lol, but then seeing how the ati 5000 only consume 19 watts idle, hybrid sli means bot all now lol. Even if it might consume slightly less idle. It doesn't work with my GTS 250 in games anyway. You're right. Can i keep nvidia control panel running at the same time as ATI control panel? Just use nvidia control panel for the cpu ram and motherboard.
a b U Graphics card
November 22, 2009 4:44:30 PM

Nashsafc said:
I think i heard some people talking about how it's going to be like the 8800gtx (or the really long version) in terms of length size because it is soo long. I'm just asking for a discussion about what people think about it.

8800GTX? lol...

The 8800GTX is 10.5 inches, I believe...which is now the "standard size" of any high end GPU. The 8800GTX can fit in any mid to full tower, and even in a lot of mini-towers if you have the length.

The 5970 is 12.2 inches...you basically have to have a full tower case or this thing won't fit.
a b U Graphics card
November 22, 2009 7:01:11 PM

Nashsafc said:
hybrid SLI lol, but then seeing how the ati 5000 only consume 19 watts idle, hybrid sli means bot all now lol. Even if it might consume slightly less idle. It doesn't work with my GTS 250 in games anyway. You're right. Can i keep nvidia control panel running at the same time as ATI control panel? Just use nvidia control panel for the cpu ram and motherboard.

whats the point of having the nvidia control panel without having an nvidia gpu
November 25, 2009 7:25:47 PM

control panel is meant to overclock or should really the cpu and motherboard and overvolt etc. I mean the high end nforce does. Mine just allows me to increase FSB. So you think if i go back to an ati card i should get rid of the control panel altogether or just not use it?
!