Sign in with
Your question

AMD Phenom II X4 955 + GeForce GTX 260

Last response: in Motherboards
May 19, 2010 6:52:22 PM

I'm on the look for a new computer, already found 2 parts:

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition

BFG Technologies GeForce GTX 260

I'm on a tight budget, and i thought those looked pretty decent, been a while since i put a computer together tho so i was wondering if any of you know the best motherboard for this combination.

im a gamer and plan on playing SupCom 2, so if any of you know if this is a good start or not, let me know! any suggestions is welcome!
a c 292 V Motherboard
a b À AMD
May 20, 2010 5:04:34 AM

Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

1- What is exactly ur budget?
2- Do u want OC?, because if u don't want it u can get the Phenom X4 945 and go with a 5850 that is a very good GPU.
3- Two good options for ur rig are this:ASUS M4A79XTD EVO and the Gigabyte 790XTA-UD4

But please post ur budget, because best can be the ASUS Crosshair IV ($229.99) or the Gigabyte 890FXA-UD5 ($179.99)
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
a b À AMD
May 20, 2010 5:07:21 AM

I agree with the XFX 5770 for two reasons
-double lifetime warranty
-DX11 compatible
Other than that they perform about the same.

As for the motherboard, I disagree. That motherboard would be a waste of money if you are on a budget. Assuming you are using DDR3 memory:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Unless you have a need for for USB 3.0, this motherboard will be fine. It is even compatible with the new thuban 6-core CPUs.

Also, I agree with saint19. The GPU should be your priority. Unless you are planning on a 5870 or better, Don't bother with the phenom II 955. The best CPU you can get for the price that will be fine for you is the Athlon IIx3 440 at 3.0GHz. Spend the rest on the GPU.
May 27, 2010 1:59:59 AM

thanks everyone for the input! my budget is under a 1000$ already got the HDD.

i don't intend to OC right away, cause i've never been good with tuning it up lol but eventually i'll want to try it tho.

but for now, no OC.

Also i will use ddr3 memory

thanks again! :) 

PS: sorry for the late reply, the email alerts went right to my spam :p 
!