Sign in with
Your question

ATI 5870 display problems on ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo

Last response: in Motherboards
May 19, 2010 7:48:42 PM

All,

I was receiving the wonderful gray screen with vertical lines while playing ME 2 (did not try other games for some unknown reason). I was using ATI driver 10.4 (clean install) and latest P5Q BIOS - 0602. After one of the freezes I was able to hop back to windows, though the screen was hard to see, I was able to read: The display driver has stopped working... and I checked the system error log after a reboot and found a consistent error of 4101 for the display. Almost like there is a disconnect with the driver, windows, and the hardware. I contacted XFX, did some troubleshooting (tried to flash the BIOS on the card, immediately caused errors) and was able to RMA the card. Surprisingly, they found no issue with the card, but they are sending me a "new" one, which I am waiting on.

My question is what other testing could I do to see if there is another conflict somewhere else in the system that is causing the issue to appear? Could it be how ME 2 is coded - if the problem only occurs with said game? Once I get the video card back I am going to try Crysis out to see what happens. Could the problem still be with the ATI drivers? The motherboard? RAM voltage? Windows 7 64-bit?

Suggestions of steps to take to determine hardware or software issues? Thanks.

Specs of my PC:

Thermaltake Armor VA8003 Silver; Intel Core 2 Duo X6800 2.93GHz; ASUS P5Q-Pro Turbo; Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme; Kingston HyperX DDR2 8500 (8GB); Enermax Galaxy 1000W; XFX Radeon HD5870 xxx; WD Raptor WD 75GB (OS); WD Velociraptor WD 1500HLFS (Game); WD Cavier Blue WD 250GB (Storage); ASUS 16X DVD; Windows 7 64Bit
September 17, 2010 7:42:03 PM

Hi,
I also have this issue with a Radeon 5870 (Gigabyte Radeon HD 5870 Ultra Durable VGA), and I also have this same motherboard.
The game I'm playing mostly is Battlefield Bad Company 2. Though I've encountered this issue in other games too.
I've already tried a few things which suggest that the problem might be with some conflict/incompatibility between this video card series and this motherboard.

My system:
Motherboard: Asus P5Q PRO Turbo (bios 0503)
CPU: E8600 @ 4GHz
CPU Cooling: Thermaltake Big Typhoon 120 VX
RAM: 4GB (2 x 2GB) Corsair Dominator 6400C4 @ 4-4-4-12-800Mhz
PSU: Seasonic M12D 850W
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional (PCI-E)
Hard Drives: WD10EADS, WD5000YS, WD5002ABYS
Case: Thermaltake Kandalf VA9000SWA

1. Initially I had a Sapphire Radeon HD 5870 Vapor-X OC, and when I started experiencing these issues I first tried to underclock my card, (from 875/1250 to 800/1100), which seems to have solved this. Of course I've done it only for debugging purposes, so I reached the conclusion that the card I had (the Sapphire) wasn't really stable at its factory clocks), which means that it's defective. This lead me to action #2.

2. I replaced this card (I actually managed to convince this dealer to replace it to the Gigabyte Ultra Durable VGA model). This didn't solve the problem.

3. The I thought that maybe the cards where move stable at lower clocks, because with the lower clocks they required less power. So maybe the problem was with my Enermax Liberty 620W PSU. So I purchased a Seasonic 850W PSU, but the problem continues!!! For now the only reliable workaround was to underclock the cards.

4. I tried the following drivers (both on XP and Win7 64bit, which are installed on my computer): 10.7, 10.8, 10.9
None of them helped in solving this.

5. All of these issues and the parts which I've replaced are leading me to the conclusion that the only relevant component which I haven't replaced is the motherboard. So currently it's my main suspect. BTW, I'm using bios 0503 on my motherboard.

6. An interesting thing to note is that this system was rock stable with my previous video card, which was a 8800GT.

I'm going to try to post this in Asus forum...
July 15, 2011 2:32:45 PM

The problem still exists for me as well. No driver helps. I have not tried a lower clock speed. I also believe there is an issue with the mtherboard, but I cannot figure it out. My conclusion is that ATI cards are not as stable as NVidia. When I had 8800 GTXs I had no issues.
!