Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

CPU Replacement question

Last response: in CPUs
Share
January 30, 2010 11:08:45 AM


Hi, My present system is a Dell 3000. I'm going to be building a new one in the next couple of months and my question is ,Will this cpu work in this system to help speed it up a little or is it a slower one ? I want to give it the kids to mess around on. It now has a 32 bit Intel Pentium 4 2.80GHz 478mPGA socket MB is a Dell 0R8060. I'd like to make it so they can view videos & maybe play some games.
What other info do I need to supply ?
Thanks



Product Summary
Manufacturer: Intel
Mfg Part#: BX80571E5400


The Intel Pentium processor with Intel dual-core technology delivers great desktop and mobile performance, low power enhancements, and multitasking for everyday computing. Go beyond everyday computing with the Intel Pentium processor dual-core. An increasing number of software applications are now designed for dual-core processors enabling the user to be more creative and productive in the home or the office. The need for security and virus protection often means running more than one application at a time and the Intel Pentium processor dual-core has the power to run them simultaneously.

Features
Processor Manufacturer Intel
Manufacturer Intel Corporation
Manufacturer Part Number BX80571E5400
Green Compliance Yes
Processor Core Dual-core
Clock Speed 2.70 GHz
Green Compliance Certificate/Authority RoHS
Manufacturer Website Address www.intel.com
Product Line Pentium Dual-core
Front Side Bus 800 MHz
Product Model E5400
Product Name Pentium Dual-core E5400 2.7GHz Desktop Processor
L2 Cache 2 MB
Packaged Quantity 1
Product Type Processor
64-bit Processing Yes
Processor Socket Socket T


Tech Specs
Processor Manufacturer Intel
Thermal Specification 165.4°F (74.1°C)
Manufacturer Intel Corporation
Additional Information
Enhanced Halt State (C1E)
Execute Disable Bit
Intel Thermal Monitor 2
Manufacturer Part Number BX80571E5400
Thermal Design Power 65 W
Processor Core Dual-core
Clock Speed 2.70 GHz
Manufacturer Website Address www.intel.com
Platform Support PC
Brand Name Intel
Front Side Bus 800 MHz
Product Line Pentium Dual-core
Green Compliance Yes
Green Compliance Certificate/Authority RoHS
L2 Cache 2 MB
Product Model E5400
Product Name Pentium Dual-core E5400 2.7GHz Desktop Processor
Packaged Quantity 1
64-bit Processing Yes
Process Technology 45 nm
Product Type Processor
Processor Technology Enhanced SpeedStep Technology
Extended Memory 64 Technology
Processor Socket Socket T


a c 159 à CPUs
January 30, 2010 1:32:39 PM

I would use the Dell for surfing the net and word processing. It has no agp or pci-e slot for adding a faster video card to run games. You could add some ram, but the cost may not be worth it. Try using the disk clean windows program to clean up the hardrive. You can also use windows malware anti-virus software, which works when you have xp service pack 3 installed. Vista or windows 7 won't run on this system, you need 2-4 gigs of ram.
m
0
l
January 30, 2010 1:41:30 PM

Hi,
I did add 2gb of ram and a NVidia GeForce 8400GS video card in one of the pCI slots.
It surfs fine it s just not fast enough for a dvd or a game .I was hoping I could speed it up enough for that.
I put the vidoe card ih so I could use the HD cable for my monitor
m
0
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a c 131 à CPUs
January 30, 2010 6:46:33 PM

imnoeinstein said:
Hi,
I did add 2gb of ram and a NVidia GeForce 8400GS video card in one of the pCI slots.
It surfs fine it s just not fast enough for a dvd or a game .I was hoping I could speed it up enough for that.
I put the vidoe card ih so I could use the HD cable for my monitor


A pentium dual core at 2.7GHz should be good enough for that.

As for games, it will be the 8400GS holding you back, not the pentium dual core.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
January 30, 2010 7:43:33 PM

Um, since when did socket 478 get dual-core Pentiums?

Unless I've misread the original post, the current Dell 3000 has a socket 478 P4 2.8Ghz in it - that ain't gonna take the dual-core Pentium.
m
0
l
a c 131 à CPUs
January 30, 2010 8:33:15 PM

My mistake. I originally looked at those specs thinking those were his current CPU.


OP- Upgrading anything now after the graphics card would be a waste of money.

As for DVDs, what program are you using? I had no problems playing DVDs on a 2.4GHz celeron socket 478 with via integrated graphics and 256mb ram.

As for games you will be limited to older ones. I would hazard a guess at being able to play COD2 on minimum settings using DX7 (not dx9). COD4 will be beyond you. Well, you might be ok in some less intensive levels. Hopefully that will give you an idea.
m
0
l
January 30, 2010 9:09:40 PM

enzo matrix said:
My mistake. I originally looked at those specs thinking those were his current CPU.


OP- Upgrading anything now after the graphics card would be a waste of money.

As for DVDs, what program are you using? I had no problems playing DVDs on a 2.4GHz celeron socket 478 with via integrated graphics and 256mb ram.

As for games you will be limited to older ones. I would hazard a guess at being able to play COD2 on minimum settings using DX7 (not dx9). COD4 will be beyond you. Well, you might be ok in some less intensive levels. Hopefully that will give you an idea.



Hi, It doesn't matter whether I use Windows media player or VideoLan media player it drags on both.The system didn't come with a dvd only a cd player I put it in .Is there a setting somewhere I should have changed.
Thanks I really appreciate the help.
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 86 à CPUs
January 31, 2010 3:30:20 AM

Something is not right. The first DVD I watched in a computer was on a Pentium 2, 300MHz with 384MBs of ram and a 4MB Rage video card. DVD drive was a 12X. I watched the first Resident Evil movie just fine. I was a little worried because the Power DVD software said you'd need a P2 at 350MHz. The P4 with an 8400GS should handle watching a DVD just fine. If your trying to watch a hidef file I could see problems, but you said DVD. Try running CPUz to make sure everything is ok?
Share
January 31, 2010 11:55:29 AM

4745454b said:
Something is not right. The first DVD I watched in a computer was on a Pentium 2, 300MHz with 384MBs of ram and a 4MB Rage video card. DVD drive was a 12X. I watched the first Resident Evil movie just fine. I was a little worried because the Power DVD software said you'd need a P2 at 350MHz. The P4 with an 8400GS should handle watching a DVD just fine. If your trying to watch a hidef file I could see problems, but you said DVD. Try running CPUz to make sure everything is ok?


Ok, what specifically should I be looking for the dvd drive I put in was a 48x24x48.
Thank you !
m
0
l
a c 86 à CPUs
January 31, 2010 1:06:34 PM

That would be a CD drive. A DVD drive would have only one number like I listed. (12x) 16x and 20x are the fastest out. Sounds like your trying to have a CD drive play DVDs, and that won't work.
m
0
l
January 31, 2010 4:05:09 PM

4745454b said:
That would be a CD drive. A DVD drive would have only one number like I listed. (12x) 16x and 20x are the fastest out. Sounds like your trying to have a CD drive play DVDs, and that won't work.



I'm sorry, I was looking at the CD, The DVD is 16x. I downloaded Sonic player & got it work however a sm. pc of the screen is on the far right side seems to be scrambling.It's probably the DVD.I guess ya get what pay for.( bought it used for $8.00.) Can you recommend a new inexpensive model from Newegg keeping in mind it's for the kids not my new build.
Thanks

m
0
l
February 2, 2010 10:00:39 PM

Best answer selected by imnoeinstein.
m
0
l
!