Sign in with
Your question

What is the minimum PSU for this build?

Last response: in Components
January 30, 2010 12:16:15 PM

Hey to everybody, im new here and starting my first build on my own!

I will use this the computer for DAW, internet and watching Full HD 1080p movies on my LCD Tv.
It often power on for 48 hours.

Here's the setup for now:

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
CPU: Core i7 I7-920 8MB (Intel Boxed)
RAM: OCZ Platinum 3x2GB CL7
GPU: Club 3D HD 4670
Tower: Fractal Design Define R2
HDD: 2 x Samsung F3 1TB
SSD: Intel SSD 80GB
PSU: ?

I will add a new soundcard next month when i get money again :) 

My question is:
What is the minimum amps with 12V on the PSU?
Please advise me here, I cant figure out what to go for.
I could just buy a big one for alot of money, but want to save where i can :) 

More about : minimum psu build

a b ) Power supply
January 30, 2010 12:30:51 PM

mfarrukh said:
What the Hell
A LUXURY build with a Low-End Video Card?

Any Way,
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
or
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Because he has no intention of gaming or anything else GPU intensive. Anything better would be a waste of money. Though, personally, I would still grab a 5670 for $100 instead for the new tech. Or a 5450 when it comes out.

I would totally go for the OCZ modular. I like mine.
Related resources
January 30, 2010 12:35:57 PM

Thanks for answering :) 

Yay, no need for running games.
I will take a look at the 5670...

I triet your links for the PSU's, and looked at the pictures.
Seeing 25A / 12V on both.
But i have my eyes on a PSU from this firm:
http://www.chill-innovation.com/products/products_detai...

Will it be just as good as those you posted?
a b ) Power supply
January 30, 2010 12:36:12 PM

^^^^^^
I agree
OCZ, CORSAIR, SilverStone, Antec are great choices
a c 248 ) Power supply
January 30, 2010 12:39:35 PM

The general rule of thumb is a high quality 500 to 550 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the +12 volt rail(s) can easily power a system with any single video card made. A high quality 700 to 750 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the +12 volt rail(s) can power a system with two video cards operating in dual mode. There are a few exceptions like the new ATI Radeon HD 5XXX series cards which use less power due to their energy efficiency.

A high quality 500 to 550 watt psu will have a +12 volt rail rated at 40 amps. A high quality 700 to 750 watt psu will have a +12 volt rail rated at 60 amps.

In addition the power supply should be at least 80+ Bronze certified for energy efficiency. There are some models available which have achieved 80+ Silver and 80+ Gold Certifications.

Before purchasing a new psu you will need to decide whether you will eventually have a pc with one or two video cards.

Corsair and Seasonic are two of the brands that have a reputation for high quality power supplies that consistently earn high marks in technical reviews. They are reliable, stable, and come with a 5 year warranty. Some of the newer models come with a 7 year warranty. Lately we've been seeing a few other brands offering some high quality units. One example would be the Antec Earthwatts series which is a major improvement over Antec’s older psu’s like the Basiq models.
January 30, 2010 12:50:55 PM

Thanks for the info JohnnyLucky!

I will never use 2 video cards, only the one in topic^^

My biggest wish is to get a really silent PSU, and thats why i looked on the Chill Innovation wich is also modular and have good very good pricing here in Denmark where i will buy it.

I think my question is if this is just as good as one from Corsair:
http://www.chill-innovation.com/products/products.php?k...
a b ) Power supply
January 30, 2010 1:08:24 PM

Corsair makes one of the few most Excellent PSUs
a b ) Power supply
January 30, 2010 1:09:54 PM

that one is also good
a c 248 ) Power supply
January 30, 2010 1:11:24 PM

If you are interested in a silent or quiet power supply, then here is a link to a very good web site with useful information about quiet pc components. There is a section with a list of recommended psu's:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/Recommended_PSUs
January 30, 2010 2:03:23 PM

Damn some of those PSU's are pricey for me when im on a budget!

I see both Chill and Corsair on the listing, and those are at the same price here in Denmark...
I can get bigger Watts for the money from Corsair because i can choose not modular models, but the Chill is reviewed to be more silent.

Any of you that know how i can see if the chill is 80+ certified?
a b ) Power supply
January 30, 2010 2:19:26 PM

I dont think it is 80+ certified
January 30, 2010 2:22:56 PM

Hmm...

I cant figure out what to go for...
I want the most silent i can effort, but if the Corsair models i alot better overall that is even better maybe!?
a b ) Power supply
January 30, 2010 2:25:40 PM

Corsair is just about the best in the Universe
Why see others?
January 30, 2010 2:28:48 PM

I have read that over all on the net too :) 

Just turned my head the other way because i wanted a silent build...
a b ) Power supply
January 30, 2010 2:36:45 PM

What do you think Corsairs PSUs make a sound of 100dB?
January 30, 2010 2:40:10 PM

Ofc not!

But i know i will change the fans in the tower if they make more noise than they promise in the specs. So ofcourse i want the most silent PSU i can get for the money.
But im almost shure will end up with one from corsair because the have more power for the money...
a b ) Power supply
January 30, 2010 2:42:50 PM

Try
OCZ, SilverStone, Antec
They are best of the best
But
I would stay with Corsair
January 30, 2010 2:44:39 PM

yes i will take one from Corsair...

Thanks all for your help!
And have a nice day...
a b ) Power supply
January 30, 2010 2:46:04 PM

Glad I help
a b ) Power supply
January 30, 2010 5:32:13 PM

I have a corsair PSU and i can't hear it :) 
-Even if its loud, in all the builds i have done, the GPU tends to have the loudest most obnoxious fan in the system that muffles all other fans in the computer.
But the corsair silent.
a b ) Power supply
January 30, 2010 6:52:16 PM

hypersnap said:

My biggest wish is to get a really silent PSU, and thats why i looked on the Chill Innovation wich is also modular and have good very good pricing here in Denmark where i will buy it.

I think my question is if this is just as good as one from Corsair:
http://www.chill-innovation.com/products/products.php?k...

Well, if it helps, I find my OCZ 600W modxstream to be very quiet. Can't even hear it. I keep my two case fans on low. And it is modular.
January 30, 2010 10:49:48 PM

blackhawk1928 said:
I have a corsair PSU and i can't hear it :) 
-Even if its loud, in all the builds i have done, the GPU tends to have the loudest most obnoxious fan in the system that muffles all other fans in the computer.
But the corsair silent.

Nice! I will go with the TX650...
January 30, 2010 10:57:56 PM

enzo matrix said:
Well, if it helps, I find my OCZ 600W modxstream to be very quiet. Can't even hear it. I keep my two case fans on low. And it is modular.

Thanks for the info, just talked with a friend that said the same about the TX650 from Corsair, thats even got more power, and is actually cheaper. But not modular :( 
a c 248 ) Power supply
January 30, 2010 11:20:28 PM

I just want to add one last comment. The fan in the Corsair TX650 power supply is temperature controlled. The fan speed increases only if the temperature increases. At idle or while surfing the Internet you should not hear the fan.

I also agree with blackhawk. Video card fans are usually the loudest fans in a well built system. They are smaller fans that operate at much higher rpm.
a c 124 ) Power supply
January 30, 2010 11:58:18 PM

Buying by brand name is a mistake because each makes several different lines and each line is geared toward a different demographic. OCZ for example has some very good PSU's but that also have a few bombs (GameXstream 700 for example) . Corsair's, Antec's, Seasonic, Enermax's, Silverstone's quality is usually high in their upper tier lines....but even they make a few bombs. Corsair's HX series is their top of the line ..... the TX line a notch down in quality. Seasonic has its MD12 line at the top the S12 is a couple of notches down. Antec generally tops the field w/ its SG & CP series, the TP / TPX / Earthwatts series a notch down and the Neopower a drop down from there.

Most of the "cream of the crop" can be found on the site johhnylucky listed. I always get a 2nd opinion by visiting www.jonnyguru.com

The top tier (Editor's Choice) in the 650 - 850 range according to the silentpcreview folks is as follows: (Note jonnyguru performance ratings in ( )

Enermax Modu82+ 625W (NR)
Antec Signature 650 (10.0)
Antec Signature 850 (10.0)
Seasonic X-650 (10.0)
Seasonic M12D 850W (9.5)
Antec CP-850 (10.0)

The 2nd tier (Recommended List) is a notch down

Corsair HX520 (9.0)
Corsair HX620 (9.5)
Nexus NX-8060 (NR)
Corsair TX650W (TX750 - 8.5)
SilverStone Decathlon DA700 (DA850 - 7.5)
Coolermaster Silent Pro M700W (M600 - 10.0)
Chill Innovation CP-700M (NR)
Nexus RX-8500 (NR)

Note also that some PSU's miss the EC list at silentpcreview.com because to make the list the must be extremely good electrically AND be extremely quiet. For that reason, you'll find some 10's over at jonnyguru (i.e Corsair HX-850) because while they are great perofrmers electrically, they make a bit more noise than the others. More than likely, most of the (gaming) audience here won't notice the difference because, they prolly have their 7.1 surround sound rendering even their twin 2000 rpm CPU HS fans inaudible :) 

In short, do your research....the silentpcreview site is a great starting point but it shouldn't be relied on by itself. Some PSU's really stand out....the CP-850 for example has a 10.0 performance rating on jonnyguru, makes the EC list at silentpcreview and costs only $109. Again, to stress the point about carrying one review over to a sibling unit from the same manufacturer, Antec's follow up unit, the CP-1000 only offered 6 more amps at 12V and is not as quiet resulting in a 9.5 rating instead of its sibling's 10.0 Similarly, where the Corsair HX grabs a 10.0 rating in the 850 watt model, this drops to a 9.5 in the 620 watt model and a 9.0 with the 520 and the 1,000 watt model. In general.....

With twin big GPU's and serious OC....I look for a 10.0 rating at 850 watts
With one GPU and serious OC....I look for a 10.0 rating at 620-650 watts

With twin GPU's and moderate OC....I look for a 9.5 rating at 850 watts
With one GPU and serious OC....I look for a 9.5 rating at 620-650 watts

With twin GPU's and no OC....I look for a 9.0 rating at 850 watts
With one GPU and no OC....I look for a 8.5 rating at 620-650 watts

a c 248 ) Power supply
January 31, 2010 12:29:02 AM

Jack - "they prolly have their 7.1 surround sound rendering even their twin 2000 rpm CPU HS fans inaudible" :lol: 

Thanks to a fiber optic connection on my motherboard my system is connected to my old Yamaha receiver and surround speakers. Right now I am listening to an oldies but goodies station on the net - Rolling Stones! Fans? I don't hear no fans! :D 

!