Sign in with
Your question

Experimental radiator

Last response: in Overclocking
a b K Overclocking
April 8, 2012 5:32:38 AM

experimental radiator: so after reading all of you guys/girls threads you have inspired to build a box out of my old case, and some wood for the front plate and back plate. I will also be adding adjustable feet to the bottom of the old case because the old one is 17 in high and the other is 21 in high. this will be fun for me and maybe calm my OCD down for a while. I will try to post some pics of the build for you. I thank you will get a trip out of what I am trying to put together here, any suggestions would be appreciated. at this point, nothing is set in stone, once built thow it's too late for alterations. not using conventional radiators but they are radiators 6 of them. advice welcome and thank you in advance for all your help.

More about : experimental radiator

a c 190 K Overclocking
April 8, 2012 9:22:57 AM

Liking the idea, lets have some initial drawings then :) 
six radiators, unusual ones at that, stop teasing and show us some substance hehe :p 
Moto
m
l
Related resources
April 8, 2012 10:34:57 AM

Ok i would go with a stempunk theme all copper inside and out till you get to the acctual connections to the mb cpu vid and such]
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 8, 2012 10:46:59 AM

"stempunk" i am not familiar with this word could you elaborate on its intended meaning here.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 8, 2012 11:31:13 AM

oh now I get it, cool!! thanks I read this earlier, but did not quite get how that had anything to do with this, but now after seeing it from a different perspective. I get it, I really get it that's wicked. I'll try my best to get this looking as nice as possible, but the best way to make shore that happens is to bounce ideas off each other in a collaborative effort.
m
l
a c 190 K Overclocking
April 8, 2012 11:42:15 AM

robustus64 said:
Ok i would go with a stempunk theme all copper inside and out till you get to the acctual connections to the mb cpu vid and such]

Could always make up brass covers for graphics cards and heatsinks, add to the effect :p 
glass tubing between blocks,some of those spiral type things,
Thats what I love about Steam, you can find a way to add anything and make it belong hehe
Moto
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 8, 2012 12:04:04 PM

well I don't have glass in the form that you described, but I do have a lot of clear plastic tubing that I could wrap around a steel rod for shaping with a piece of copper wire (12 gage) stick it inside the tubing . that way when I wrap it around the rod it will hold its form while I take a heat gun to get the plastic to reshape its self into that position and remove the rod and wire giving the effect of coiled tubing. I like that idea, sounds nice. may I incorporate it.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 8, 2012 1:19:45 PM

wow!! jest had a great idea, and it will add to the copper look. I could wrap bear copper wire around the tubing and sadder it at each end to the radiators them self's. that way it will also add to cooling capability without the added possibility of damaging the tubing from excessive heat and still giving the look of coils. man this is fun.
m
l
a c 190 K Overclocking
April 8, 2012 3:00:38 PM

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=spiral+glass+tube&v...
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=spiral+glass+tube&v...
**Apologies to Mods if the second item is classed as paraphenalia, I'm linking it as a possible mod item, I will remove if required of course,
Moto**

The spiral thing is called a condenser tube, I knew it but couldn't remember earlier :) 
Are you starting to see steampunk modding ideas everywhere? :p 
I know you have the modding spirit man, and I'm excited to see what you do actually come up with on this project,
Moto
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 8, 2012 3:19:45 PM

I can see it, but I'm not going tear down my chemistry set for distilling water to make this project. the beakers, tubs and other components are in use right now, how do you thank I get all the distilled water I use for my water cooling units. takes time to heat and cool water but I have a year in between refills to stock up.
m
l
a c 190 K Overclocking
April 8, 2012 3:23:40 PM

Hehe, at least you know the kind of stuff to look at :) 
Moto
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 8, 2012 8:33:47 PM

well? let me know if you can view them ok.
m
l
a c 190 K Overclocking
April 8, 2012 9:41:05 PM

Those fans look like they could face a wash hehe,
I'm jealous of your space though, and you have plenty of copper tube there, this should be an interesting project, :) 
Moto
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 9, 2012 1:18:59 AM

Koolance QDC (High Flow) No-Spill Shutoff Nozzle, Female Compression (10mm, 3/8" x 13mm, 1/2") (VL3N-F10S) 2
Koolance QDC (High Flow) No-Spill Shutoff Nozzle, Male Compression (10mm, 3/8" x 13mm, 1/2") (VL3N-M10S) 2
Gelid Solutions Silent 9 92mm x 25mm Silent Case Fan - 1500 RPM (FN-SX09-15) 4
more parts
m
l
a c 190 K Overclocking
April 9, 2012 9:34:16 AM

Same Qdc's I'll be using in my radbox project, good taste hehe,
You should speak with 4Ryan6, you look like you have similar facilities and ideas :) 
Why 92mm's btw?
Moto
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 9, 2012 1:07:39 PM

because the rads are a 110mm
m
l
a c 190 K Overclocking
April 9, 2012 1:34:25 PM

I'd have gone for 120's myself but np, just wondered, I'm getting itchy for payday now so I can crack on myself hehe
Moto
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 10, 2012 12:49:10 AM

well, here is where I am at

the next step will be to cut the front and back plates so that only a frame
around the borders remain.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 10, 2012 9:14:45 AM

hay any ideas on how to attach the fans to the radiators, and it still be easy to remove and replace?
m
l
a c 190 K Overclocking
April 10, 2012 9:17:08 AM

I assume you are mounting the rads on some sort of bracket?
I would have a frame for the fans to hold them in position near the rads, possibly the same one used to hold the rad in pace
Moto
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 10, 2012 9:29:52 AM

the frame for the radiator setup I was thinking about using that copper tubing and soldering it to them, I was thinking about configuring them in a 2 high X 3 rows. I have thought about using the copper tubing as a frame for the fans as well but thought this might prove to be more difficult than it is worth
m
l
a c 190 K Overclocking
April 10, 2012 10:24:29 AM

Nah, if you design the frame 'right' you could just screw the/bolt the fans straight to the tubing frame (bit of padding ofc to lose vibration)
I have faith in ye man :) 
Moto
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 10, 2012 10:54:12 AM

here is what I am seeing, I want to get the fans as close the radiator fins as possible. I have the kind of rubber to make a fan shroud that stops noise from vibration. but the idea of making a large circle jest tight enough to catch the four corners of the fan, while doable seems kind of hard, tried a little while ago and did succeed but real pain to get it jest right.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 10, 2012 11:17:05 AM

aloe me to elaborate on what a real pain is. I had to vice a steel rod of the correct diameter, than tack soldier one end of the copper tube to the rod. in order to form it without crushing it, I used mapp gas to heat up the copper tubing allowing me to wrap it around the rod. takes about 3 hours total, 1 of the hours was spent making the fan shroud.
m
l
a c 190 K Overclocking
April 10, 2012 11:30:44 AM

I was thinking more of two rails, one down each side and mount the fans off that, that way you can remove the fans and their frame without disturbing the rads if required
Moto
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 10, 2012 11:39:11 AM

that way there would be a gap between the rads and the fans, I could box it to improve air flow through the rads, will that lower the ability of the fans to push air through the rads ?
m
l
a c 190 K Overclocking
April 10, 2012 12:24:58 PM

You mount the fans on the inside of the rails, that way they are next to the rads
although I've heard people use shrouds to get a gap between fan and rad to eliminate deadspots, never tried it myself,
but no, boxing in would be a great way to control airflow, as long as you determine the flowpath and seal all other gaps, that way the air that goes through the box, goes through the rads,
my box is a variant on that, both fan banks are pulling into the box and I have two fans at the rear exhausting,
why isn't it payday yet? :p 
Moto
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 10, 2012 12:41:25 PM

yea I have 10 fans to install, 2 in the custom wood front plate and 2 in the custom wood back plate. there is of course 1 fan for each of the 6 rads. i do like the ability to jest push the fan into place without any screws needed.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 10, 2012 2:49:09 PM

ok, I guess I will give myself a couple of days to decide weather or not I will go with a square fan in a round hole, or the square fan into a square hole. any other suggestions for a proto build of the fan holders please advise?
m
l
a c 190 K Overclocking
April 10, 2012 3:23:20 PM

not that I can think of atm, need some sleep before work tonight so I'll check back later though :) 
Moto
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 10, 2012 10:45:24 PM

well I have decided on the design of the tubing that will be on the side, that faces the side plate that I removed inorder to see what's inside the case. well any way here is what i have decided that it will look like(basiclly)

I am in the process of building a jig that will allow me to apply the wire, to the tube in a more orderly fashion, so the real tubing will be complete in about 3 days. I like the ability to form the tubing however you won't to within reason, and it stays in that position. should have the case cut up by then to. as for the front and back plates maybe two weeks from today to finish them. I wont them to look nice, I have two fans and finger guards on one end, and the other end is the same, but added is the fan controller right at near the top of the end plate.
m
l
a c 78 K Overclocking
April 11, 2012 9:23:19 AM

this would go well with your steampunk idea...if it is one, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rampkins-Buccaneer-A-Steampunk-...

Quote:
some of those spiral type things,
you mean a double helix structure? :) 

if you want to go ahead and bend copper tubing, might wanna invest in a pipe bending tool - found at your local hardware store or online.

for more inspiration
http://www.mod-planet.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=41940#4...

or there's always MDPC :) 
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 11, 2012 9:35:55 AM

not really, I need a lot more room than I have to make it look right. but I am building a rod with a clamp system for the copper wire . I will be using a die clamp with a custom die, that will travel up the tube at a consistent rate, while applying the wire around it. looks really nice when they are all evenly spaced on the tubing.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 11, 2012 12:49:27 PM

Lutfij said:
this would go well with your steampunk idea...if it is one, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rampkins-Buccaneer-A-Steampunk-...

Quote:
some of those spiral type things,
you mean a double helix structure? :) 

if you want to go ahead and bend copper tubing, might wanna invest in a pipe bending tool - found at your local hardware store or online.

for more inspiration
http://www.mod-planet.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=41940#4...

or there's always MDPC :) 

i know that this sounds stupid, what is MDPC?
m
l
a c 190 K Overclocking
April 11, 2012 1:01:43 PM

Million dollar Pc, its a website for shiny modders to want to get on :-)
@lutfij, nope to the double helix, I did actually mean the condensing tube, a La mad science type glass tubing, think frankensteins lab kind of stuff :-)
Moto
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 11, 2012 1:29:29 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
Million dollar Pc, its a website for shiny modders to want to get on :-)
@lutfij, nope to the double helix, I did actually mean the condensing tube, a La mad science type glass tubing, think frankensteins lab kind of stuff :-)
Moto

trying to ascertain what time it is in the down under, not to good at that sort of stuff. back to your comment though, I do like the idea of it being shinny, even playing with the idea of painting it with glow paint, but haven't made a decision on that. by the way can you access all of pic's I have posted? not to good with this sort of stuff either. well what do you think so far looking good or needs so help?
m
l
a c 78 K Overclocking
April 11, 2012 1:40:14 PM

adding tags with the image url instead of the +'s will help pop your image up for everyone to see instead of cliking the link.

We've all been there one time or the other. ^ hope this helps.

@ modo - mad scientist huh :lol:  ?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 11, 2012 1:47:53 PM

Lutfij said:
adding tags with the image url instead of the +'s will help pop your image up for everyone to see instead of cliking the link.

We've all been there one time or the other. ^ hope this helps.

@ modo - mad scientist huh :lol:  ?

well lets give it a try

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/59/tubing001.jpg/

and... I dont thank i did that right??? please teach me, i know i am slow but i do learn
m
l
a c 78 K Overclocking
April 11, 2012 3:24:10 PM

^ on the lower right hand side - > embed this image - > forum - > copy the link and paste here

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

now that thas out of the way, you having liquid flow through the tubes? looking good - though i can't understand where this is heading. Dya have any drawings? i seem to think that copper would be a good material for a res mod :) 
m
l
a c 190 K Overclocking
April 11, 2012 3:44:08 PM

@Lufij, nope, steampunk is mostly aesthetic, although when people manage to include function into the project it just makes it better, I can't believe you aren't familiar with it :p 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steampunk

Some steampunk Pc's already done by awesome folk,s and theres a Dragon rider there hehe :) 
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=steampunk+pc&qpvt=s...
Page is in Swedish but translator does a good enough job :) 

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=steampunk+pc&view=d...
^? Awesome
Moto
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 11, 2012 3:49:42 PM

Lutfij said:
^ on the lower right hand side - > embed this image - > forum - > copy the link and paste here

]http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/98/tubing001.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

now that thas out of the way, you having liquid flow through the tubes? looking good - though i can't understand where this is heading. Dya have any drawings? i seem to think that copper would be a good material for a res mod :) 

yes there will be liquid flowing through the tubs. but no I do not have any drawings I am depending on you guys for inspiration on this one when I get a idea I will go and build a proto of the make(idea) and see how it looks or how difficult to fabricate it may be jest trying to see how this comes out I will be using it when I we are finished on the project I know it will work but how nice it turns out as far as aesthetics is more about how many ideas flow through here we can bounce ideas back and forth for awhile before the build will be complete

ok so like this

ah man i suck at this can we try agene
m
l
a c 78 K Overclocking
April 11, 2012 4:01:54 PM

@ toolmaker - re-read my steps you'll get the hang of it..and just edit prev posts to correct mistakes.

@ modo - i'm very much familiar with steampunk'd ideas , theres even a lamptron fan controller thas stempunk'd and goes for about $100...:) 
m
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
April 11, 2012 4:14:07 PM

Oh, yes, sorry...I did. I meant to add that, but forgot.
m
l
!