Sign in with
Your question

Air cooling fan positions

Last response: in Overclocking
April 8, 2012 8:35:41 AM

I would like to ask where should I place my cooling fans to optimize airflow and reduce noise as possible. I'llbe using a corsair obsidian 550d as my case. How many fans should I use? What fan size should I use? What brand of fans are also good in cooling and being quiet? Should I also replace the rear cooling fan that comes with the 550d?

Sorry for the questions sinceit would be my first ever build. Answers would ne appreciated.

April 8, 2012 8:50:21 AM

Sorry for the double post. I just wanted to add something since I saw an article from the internet that the fewer the fans the better. Here's the link: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2012/02/10/the-big-coo...

And I would like to ask about fan controller, is better to get one? Any of you guys know any quiet cooling fan that can be used via the fan controller? Sorry for the tons of questions again.
April 8, 2012 9:03:15 AM

Place your CPU cooler with the air blowing up or behind, assuming your top fan and rear fans are exhaust fans. Fan size and amount of fans depends on your CPU cooler it self.

I'd recommend Noctua NF-F12 for superior quietness and great performance. Silverstone air penetrator fans are also very good. Silent and push ALOT of air.

I think you should replace the rear fan as that will be the fan pulling hot air out of the case, so you'd want a powerful fan. Plus it's very quiet.

You don't really need a fan controller unless you have lots of fans IMO, or you want silence at the touch of a button. Personally I just change fan speeds thru the BIOS, which is also pretty fast.

In short: 2 fans-Noctua NF-F12. Silverstone Air Penetrators.
CPU cooler fans facing up or behind (push pull exhaust)
Related resources
April 8, 2012 9:40:41 AM

Do you think a single side fan would help cooling my gpu? I think I would not be able to install a fan on the upper side fan since I would be using a hyper 212+ or evo which would take up the space.
April 8, 2012 12:06:40 PM

bloodyredd said:
Do you think a single side fan would help cooling my gpu? I think I would not be able to install a fan on the upper side fan since I would be using a hyper 212+ or evo which would take up the space.

You dont particulary need a fan fan for GPU. If you have good intake at the front, and the gpu is able to maintain good temperatures, no need for side fan.
April 8, 2012 1:30:27 PM

Oh I see, so what brand do you think is good? Right now, I narrowed my choices to these three. Noctua NF-F12, Thermalright X-Silent 120, Enermax T.B Silence
!