Sign in with
Your question

Windows XP will not update

Last response: in Windows XP
May 16, 2012 9:41:54 PM

Hello,
Windows Update does not install the updates.
I have tried several things mentioned in other threads, but nothing works. When I try to install Java, the Windows Installer box opens and sits there, then it tells me that it could not install.
I also have an issue trying to reach www.google.com or www.bing.com from any browser. It says the page cannot be found. I can type in an IP for google and I get the page. I have checked the hosts file with no issues and cleared the DNS cache. I have run adaware, spyboy malwarebytes windows defender AVg anti-virus, ccleaner, fcleaner, iobit malware fighter, advanced system care. Nothing found.
When I tried to post this on the machine in question, I received a "flood attempt" message and it would not let me post.

More about : windows update

May 16, 2012 10:12:22 PM

if you are unable to reach webpages with the domain name and only with the IP address, make sure in your tcp/ip settings for the adaptor it is set to auto. then from the command line you can type

ipconfig /release

then

ipconfig /renew

it should automatically grab the information from the dhcp server. if it DOES get correct information from the dhcp server but you are still unable to browse, try using google's open DNS. if it fails to get the ip, gateway and dns info from the dhcp server you have a networking problem.
m
l
May 16, 2012 10:26:36 PM

Download the winsock fix app from cnet.com and the windows update fix from the microsoft fixit website to a usb thumb drive from another computer. Next install and run both of those apps on the machine with errors. Run the winsock fix app first.
m
l
!