Sign in with
Your question

Customized New Build -Opinions/Suggestion

Last response: in Systems
November 15, 2009 7:21:17 PM

I would really appreciate multiple opinions and providing a straight forward punch list on components I need for a new build.

I don't game and it's for my home office. I typically use multiple screens 3 per setup right now - streaming data feeds, and at least one screen - usually has video. I want to build a system that supports at least four and up to 6 monitors.

1. Cooling -The computer will run 16 hours a day, no less than 5 days a week in a 70 degree to 76 degree room temperature environment which means the computer is going to be hot unless cooled properly.

2. Back up - I want some sort of backup system/dual hard drive file system backup -something quick that backup only those files that have changed. I don't like online solutions. I want some hardware to do it myself and for it to be built into the machine with at least 1.5 terrabyte HD.

3. Speed -The machine needs to be fast and I would like bluetooth connectivity, the best wireless card and graphics card and HD, along.

4. Quiet - I want the machine to be quiet -damn near silent.

5. Expandable - for future needs and as reliable as I can get.

6. I'm open to the OS

I would like the entire enchilada for the build, brands, models, case options, power options. I know some of you guys can't break this down quickly and it would be a big help.
November 15, 2009 10:26:57 PM

That's all pretty easy, and the temps are not a problem. You didn't mention a budget though.

Quote:
2. Back up - I want some sort of backup system/dual hard drive file system backup -something quick that backup only those files that have changed. I don't like online solutions. I want some hardware to do it myself and for it to be built into the machine with at least 1.5 terrabyte HD.

A secure backup system should always include an external drive, and ideally on a separate electrical circuit and over the network. You could however have a RAID solution as well, for redundancy.
November 16, 2009 1:42:30 AM

Here is an old review on the 780G chipset doing 2 then 4 displays
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-780g-chipset,17...
Fast forward today we have this interesting Asrock 785G chipset with 3 x PCIex16 2.0 lanes hehe. Best to check with the writers of that article, but i would say 4 displays is a given but if it is possible to have 8 displays (via 2 more passively cooled HD 3450s for silent + low power) via the 2 additional PCIex16 lanes it would preety much be gold dust for the multi display (non gaming) world IMO ^^

A suggested config (for 4 displays 1st)

Edit: Hmm perhaps a multi display-hybrid crossfire review/article is in order in our forums for a refresh of 780G :p 
Related resources
November 16, 2009 1:50:20 AM

Give us a budget to work with.

-If you want a silent computer with good cooling then buy a very large case with massive fans and turn the fans down a little and it will give superior cooling and be quiet since larger fans need a much lower rpm to get the same amout of air then smaller fans do.

-if you want data safety, buy a UPS with a surge protector and back the data up to another hard drive in another place perferably on a different place of the house so it has a different outlet incase something strikes. Raid 1 is also a good idea. And it doesn't matter how long your computer will run because a computer heats to its maximum tempuratures very shortly after its turned on so it really makes no difference if you are running it 2 hours or 24/7...same cooling is required.
November 16, 2009 1:58:52 AM

blackhawk1928 said:
Give us a budget to work with.

I don't have a budget. I will pay what I must in order to meet my needs i.e the additional expense has value (quiet, longevity, speed, backup security, funcationality (monitors), ability to expand). However like any savy buyer, I don't want to spend money for the sake of spending it for the sake of bling.

Thank you for responses so far. I'll be checking in.

-If you want a silent computer with good cooling then buy a very large case with massive fans and turn the fans down a little and it will give superior cooling and be quiet since larger fans need a much lower rpm to get the same amout of air then smaller fans do.

-if you want data safety, buy a UPS with a surge protector and back the data up to another hard drive in another place perferably on a different place of the house so it has a different outlet incase something strikes. Raid 1 is also a good idea. And it doesn't matter how long your computer will run because a computer heats to its maximum tempuratures very shortly after its turned on so it really makes no difference if you are running it 2 hours or 24/7...same cooling is required.

November 16, 2009 2:15:27 AM

Most appreciate of helping me out.

batuchka said:
Here is an old review on the 780G chipset doing 2 then 4 displays
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-780g-chipset,17...
Fast forward today we have this interesting Asrock 785G chipset with 3 x PCIex16 2.0 lanes hehe. Best to check with the writers of that article, but i would say 4 displays is a given but if it is possible to have 8 displays (via 2 more passively cooled HD 3450s for silent + low power) via the 2 additional PCIex16 lanes it would preety much be gold dust for the multi display (non gaming) world IMO ^^

A suggested config (for 4 displays 1st)
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q205/batuchka/OctaD.jpg

Edit: Hmm perhaps a multi display-hybrid crossfire review/article is in order in our forums for a refresh of 780G :p 

November 16, 2009 2:18:47 AM

You are welcomed ^^
!