Sign in with
Your question

GeForce 8800 GTS - no signal to monitor

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 21, 2009 2:36:06 PM

From one day to the next this problem emerged;

I turned on my computer and it started humming - vaguely louder than normal, which I later decided stemmed from the GFX card fan - but my monitor did not start.

I unscrewed one side of the cabinet and not being a major hardware buff, I didn't see any obvious reasons it shouldn't be working. I continued to blow some dust of parts of the interior and screwed the side back on. This did the trick and I could now turn on my PC as usual - it ran perfectly for several hours until finally I shut it down and went to bed.

Alas, the next day the problem had returned, but this time I couldn't fix it - I tried vacuuming the insides og my pc and cleaning any fans to the best of my ability. No luck. I then tested my monitor on another PC to rule that out and the monitor works fine. Lastly I tested my PC with another GFX card of an older sort(geforce 7500 LE) and this works perfectly aswell

Now, after having done all this I had my GFX card tested at the store that sold it to me and they reported it to be in fine working order.

After being adviced to do so, I tried resetting cmos by moving the jumpers back and forth - no result. I also tried this combined with popping the mobo battery out and back in with the same lack of result.

From what I can tell the computer starts up just as it has always done, the screen just doesn't get activated.

A little note - the 8800 GTS requires a power cable of it's own whereas the 7500 LE does not so this might be where the problem lies? Alltho, if I connect the 8800 GTS without the power cable it warns me with a long BEEEEP and that is not happening now - I'm unsure if it just checks for a cable to be connected or for actually getting power.

As I said my hardware knowledge isn't much above average so I'm left puzzled which I why I come here seeking help.

My thanks in advance.
a c 1410 U Graphics card
a c 103 C Monitor
November 21, 2009 2:51:14 PM

Sounds like your system is not recognizing that your card is installed so try re-seating it. I had an issue on an old system once with lint/dust getting into the gpu slot so the computer did not find the gpu.
November 21, 2009 2:53:43 PM

How do you mean re-seating it? Taking it out of the slot, blowing dust away and putting it back in?
Because I've done that close to 20 times now - I'm using the PC right now just with another gf card in the same slot.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
November 21, 2009 3:16:21 PM

Sounds to me like you may need an new power supply, especially if the card works in another system.
November 21, 2009 3:20:02 PM

It has been tested on another system - not by me tho.

But it's possible that the power supply can work well with this card and run the PC perfectly, but just not have enough power to run the other card?

It might also be the wires into the card that are faulty? Just hard to test for me :&
a c 1410 U Graphics card
a c 103 C Monitor
November 21, 2009 4:04:08 PM

agerkvist said:
How do you mean re-seating it? Taking it out of the slot, blowing dust away and putting it back in?
Because I've done that close to 20 times now - I'm using the PC right now just with another gf card in the same slot.

When I had the issue I mentioned before, it was an year old system I bought used for my son, I had the card 5 times in and out of the slot before I got it to work after fiscally have to shovel compressed lint out of the slot with a tooth pick blowing and vacuuming was not enough.
November 21, 2009 4:23:10 PM

Well I'm desperate enough to try some more extensive cleaning, so I'll try that out for lack of better options right now :) 
November 24, 2009 8:41:38 AM

Just took out the card and tried to clean the slot some more. There wasn't really any dust or lint to speak of. The slot also looks very clean when I look closer with a flash light.

But still no image on the monitor :( 

I did this little test just out of curiosity: The GF card receives power from a cable that is split in two and goes to two seperate places. If I remove the cable completely the GF card BEEEPs at me, if the cable is only connected to the card but but just left hanging loose at the ends it BEEEPs aswell - but as long as one of the ends - either one - are connected anywhere there is no BEEEP. This sounds to me like at least the powercable isn't the problem - but it might just be me reading to much into it??

I'm really getting desperate here, I have no idea what I can do.
a c 273 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
November 24, 2009 12:17:28 PM

Are both DVI ports dead?, does the fan spin freely?, is the HSF making good contact with the GPU?
November 24, 2009 1:32:40 PM

I tried both DVI ports - none of them work. The people who tested the card for me reported both ports to be working.

The fan is spinning freely like it always has.

From what i can tell the fan on the GF card sits where it always has - its pretty much built into the card case.
a c 273 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
November 24, 2009 1:48:29 PM

What make/model/age is your PSU?
a c 273 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
November 24, 2009 3:58:30 PM

You have a 300w PSU and the 8800GTS (G92) requires a about a 400w PSU as per Nvidia specs, looks like you may need to replace your PSU to run that puppy.
November 24, 2009 4:02:01 PM

But I've been using it for 1.5 years without any problems what so ever :/ 
a c 273 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
November 24, 2009 4:02:57 PM

agerkvist said:
But I've been using it for 1.5 years without any problems what so ever :/ 

That doesn't mean it has not finally melted.
November 24, 2009 4:04:17 PM

Hmm it doesn't - can I check for this visually or test it some other way?
a c 273 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
November 24, 2009 4:13:03 PM

I would suggest that this may have been proved already, what PSU did the person who checked the card for you have?
November 24, 2009 4:31:16 PM

That I do not know, it was checked by the retailer who sold it to me - I sent it to them via mail.

But if my description of symptoms strongly suggest to you that the cause is indeed a melted PSU, that is probably the best bet I have - and getting a new PSU isn't that costly. I might even be able to borrow one.
a c 273 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
November 24, 2009 4:53:47 PM

agerkvist said:
That I do not know, it was checked by the retailer who sold it to me - I sent it to them via mail.

But if my description of symptoms strongly suggest to you that the cause is indeed a melted PSU, that is probably the best bet I have - and getting a new PSU isn't that costly. I might even be able to borrow one.

The thing to bear in mind is, you have a PSU that was specified for a machine that had a graphic card that uses less than 75w and it still had a bit of safety head room, not a lot but enough to get past the bean counters, you have then replaced that card with one that requires nearly 150w and still expect to have enough power to run the rest of the system.
November 24, 2009 6:04:30 PM

So I should pretty much just count myself lucky that it has at least been working this long? :D 

If I go shopping for a new PSU, how powerful should it be? And how can you tell?(I might aswell learn something here, instead of following "orders" :) )
a c 273 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
November 24, 2009 6:15:06 PM

agerkvist said:
So I should pretty much just count myself lucky that it has at least been working this long? :D 

If I go shopping for a new PSU, how powerful should it be? And how can you tell?(I might aswell learn something here, instead of following "orders" :) )

For your system with the 8800GTS in I would use a Corsair 55HX personally, if you want to learn a bit more about PSU's then here are a couple of good reads.
http://www.anandtech.com/printarticle.aspx?i=3413 an old article but useful nonetheless, http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/page/power worth reading through IMHO, and my favourite http://www.jonnyguru.com/.
November 24, 2009 6:23:10 PM

That is awesome and really nice of you Mouse :) 

I'll read into it and grab a new PSU asap - I'll be sure to post here when it's done.

I really appreaciate this, I know you're doing thing on your own time - thank you so much :) 
a c 273 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
November 24, 2009 6:30:24 PM

You're most welcome, I hope it works out well for you.
November 26, 2009 6:49:27 AM

So, I just started the PC for the first time after installing the new PSU - tried with the GeForce 8800 GTS first....still nothing....it's exactly the same as with the old PSU.

It should work right away shouldn't it? Or are there certain setting I need to tinker with?

I'm really loosing hope here :/ 
a c 273 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
November 26, 2009 8:11:47 AM

The assumption that the card is working may be a wrong one, you said that you sent the card away to be tested and it was pronounced healthy and returned to you but have you tested the card yourself in another machine to verify that it works or are you just taking the retailers word that it does?
November 26, 2009 8:41:48 AM

No I haven't tested it personally. I wrote the store who sold me then card when I first encountered the problem and they agreed to take it in for testing - and pronounced it healthy and returned it to me.

The thing is my options for testing the card in another machine are very limited - I'm trying to figure something out for doing just that tho. I'd like to see it work in another machine myself. I just don't really have anyone around with a pci-e slot ><
November 26, 2009 9:16:44 AM

Bonus info - I tested this with a friend. 3 minutes after I turn on the computer, with the new card installed, he sees me logging onto messenger - so the pc starts windows normally etc.

Don't know if this is significant :) 
a c 273 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
November 26, 2009 9:25:43 AM

agerkvist said:
Bonus info - I tested this with a friend. 3 minutes after I turn on the computer, with the new card installed, he sees me logging onto messenger - so the pc starts windows normally etc.

Don't know if this is significant :) 

How are you connecting to the monitor?, DVI > VGA adapter or just DVI?
November 26, 2009 9:41:57 AM

It goes in the DVI slot - it has a vga-->dvi converter attached.
a c 273 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
November 26, 2009 9:44:01 AM

Do you have another adapter to try?
November 26, 2009 10:36:56 AM

I don't I'm afraid. But the adapter is used for both cards so it works. With one of em at least :p 
a c 273 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
November 26, 2009 10:48:31 AM

And I assume you have tried booting on both DVI ports?
November 26, 2009 10:49:45 AM

I have yeah - no luck on either.
a c 273 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
November 26, 2009 10:54:10 AM

So the machine starts up and can be seen on the network but no picture is displayed on the monitor?, what monitor are you using?
November 26, 2009 10:57:47 AM

Exactly as you describe it.

I use a SAMSUNG 913N 19"

The monitor doesn't respond at all. All I get from it is the constant blinking from the power buttons, which is normal as long as the monitor has power and the pc is turned off. With the 8800 the screen never changes from this state when I start the PC.
a c 273 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
November 26, 2009 11:06:36 AM

I know that they use the same driver but have you tried putting the 7500 back in, booting up and uninstalling the driver then shutting down and putting the 8800 in and rebooting?
November 26, 2009 11:12:25 AM

I haven't. All Ive done driverwise, was installed drivers for the 7500 when I found out that was working - before I did all windows would lagg alot.

So should I remove all drivers connected to my gf cards and start the pc with the 8800 plugged in? Or remove 7500 drivers, install 8800 ones and then reboot with 8800 plugged in?

I would just think the 8800 would still activate the screen even if the drivers are wrong, but sometimes these things are a little odd, so it might just work :) 
a c 273 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
November 26, 2009 11:17:44 AM

I would start the machine with the 7500 in, then uninstall the video drivers and shut down, fit the 8800 and boot up, hopefully the screen will come to life, fingers crossed.
November 26, 2009 11:25:24 AM

I will try this right away
November 26, 2009 11:41:46 AM

No result.

Other than now I'm running at 640x480 :p 
a c 273 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
November 26, 2009 11:45:17 AM

agerkvist said:
No result.

Other than now I'm running at 640x480 :p 

On the 7500 or the 8800?
November 26, 2009 11:46:15 AM

On the 7500 - if it was on the 8800 I would be thrilled :p 

The plugged in still gave me a black screen,
November 26, 2009 11:47:47 AM

"The plugged in still gave me a black screen, "

the 8800 plugged in that is :) 
a c 273 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
November 26, 2009 11:49:11 AM

I think you really need to somehow verify that the 8800 is indeed a working card.
November 26, 2009 11:50:57 AM

Yeah, been trying to figure out where I can do to test it myself - would really like to see it with my own eyes.

Alltho if it does work when I get to test it, haha then I'll feel screwed for real :D 
a c 273 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
November 26, 2009 11:56:20 AM

agerkvist said:
Yeah, been trying to figure out where I can do to test it myself - would really like to see it with my own eyes.

Alltho if it does work when I get to test it, haha then I'll feel screwed for real :D 

If it does work then there could be an issue with the PCIe slot on your mobo if it is a 1.0 as the slot may need to be at least a 1.0a spec, but I would have thought that the machine just wouldn't start if that was the case, dunno mate, I'm pretty much out of ideas.
November 26, 2009 12:01:18 PM

The thing with that is still that the PC has been running smoothly with the 8800 for 1.5 years. Then all of a sudden the screen is black when I start - I unscrew one side, look inside, blow a little dust of and start the PC again, which then works like it always has. Next day the problem returns and here I am now.

I'm fresh out of ideas aswell, but thankful that you spent all this time helping me. I'll be sure to post here if I ever get it up and running - or get the chance to test it on another pc.
November 26, 2009 2:35:58 PM

This is the new PSU I got: http://www.bj-trading.dk/shop1/default.asp?side=info.as...

I was just told by someone else that this isn't good enough?(I was told before buying by a friend that it would work tho - I know it's not top of the line, but it should do the job right?)

"it is not the watts but the available amp output on the 12v line and the lc just does not have it"

Was the reply I got.

Your opinion?
a c 273 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
November 26, 2009 2:46:34 PM

I may be half Danish but I can't speak or read the lingo :lol: , but your friend was right in so much as it is the amperage that is more important than the wattage.
!