Overclocking pentium II?

mildgamer001

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011
hi, i have a bunch of really old computer parts, one being a 233mhz pentium II. so i hav e some questions..

1. is it even possible? would i need a special motherboard since the one it had wasnt exactly high end..
2. the fan on it is crap, about as loud now as my large box fan in my room set on low, should i "borrow" a better one off another heatsink i have?
3. has anyone done it? if so what did you get? there were pentum II's at 800mhz so i dont know i was thinking 300 mhz..
4. the old hard drives i have right now are scetchy at best, i cant seem to run one without lagging while simply turning teh computer one, the other may have data that might be recoverable (it has pictures that i wanted to get off of it for my family but the shortcut files say they cant find the folders that had the photos on and i couldnt locate them myself) so i will probably have to use the one that is laggy, (most likely from being over full) so would that affect it at all? the laggy one has windows ME by the way.

i havent needed to overclock before, and i dont now, but i was curious about it. also i have an amd k6 cpu that still works and i have a low end mobo that was with it, the hard drive with the pictures was from it and i might try to see if i can get them when it is connected to the other motherboard, probably woint work but maybe. anyway i have that and a celeron from the same time period, ( windows ME/2000) but i might want to leav ethat alone as it works fairly well and i could use it for testing. i only have one available case with a power supply that i havent stolen fans from, that is in the pentium box right now.oh and there is a amd athlon xp. that i took the cpu out of as a antique/decorative piece as i didnt expect to ever use it, i can probably find some thermal paste somewhere though. so, do any of these overclock at all? even 50 mhz? if so it would just be a learnin experience and entertainment thing, im not trying to play crysis on it. i did think of using the pentium as a legacy gaming rig though, for doom 1 and 2 and older games like that.

mildgamer001

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011
oh, and there is a pentium 4 cpu i could try with, but it is currently in a very stripped down motherboard from a compaq evo small form factor, so i doubt it would have any bios options for overclocking..

mildgamer001

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011
well apparently i looked at some old overclokcing threads about the pentium II's, only some models overclocked well and some boards overclocked better tan others. so i dont think you needed special boards for it, also it was a custom build back then, i found a sticker on the case for some local computer shop nearby. but im not sure about the boar di have, as it wasnt a large brand as far a i can tell and itr also wasnt as feature packed as say, the athlon xp one i have, which appears to have been almost a high end/gaming motherboard.

go into the BIOS on those machines and see if you can change the reference clock, thats the only way. It might be labeled as cpu bus, cpu clock, etc. Just mess around and see what you can find. I have a athlon 64 3700+ that I can overclock just fine. Its not as old as the pII but was manufactured around 2001.

dtemple

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2006
Any motherboard worth having back in the Pentium II days used either jumpers or dip switches to set the FSB. The 233MHz Pentium II (all the Pentium II's up to 333MHz, actually) used a 66MHz bus speed. Slot-1 motherboards would support either only 66MHz bus speed, 66/100, or 66/100/133. This having a 233MHz Pentium II means it's probably one of the first, so officially only supports 66MHz bus.

233MHz is derived from 66MHz bus speed and a multiplier of 3.5x. Since you can't change multiplier on these, you're increasing the bus speed. If your motherboard supports it, 75MHz bus speed would give you 262.5MHz, and 83MHz bus speed would give you 290.5MHz. Keep in mind that if you increase the bus speed, you're also increasing the PCI/AGP clocks by respective amounts.

If your RAM is only rated PC-66, you're probably going to be unable to overclock at all.

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011

To think, I was barely out of high school when they were writing that...

Those were the days that maxing out Return to Castle Wolfenstein was quite a brag worthy feat.

mildgamer001

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011

whos rig are you talking about? my old desktops i am talking about? to ell you that i would probably have to get a semi working hard drive that 1. still works at a fairly decent performance and 2. doesnt have so much ancient, unfindable ghost files filling it up. these wre office computers, so there is lots of old documents that are corrupted or missing (they might have been on a network i never asked but anyone that worked there wouldnt know anyway, my family isnt exactly computer savvy..) so there is a lot of space also tken up by pictures of things my grandparents put on it, that i cant get to anymore, which is kind of sad since i was going to put them on a flash driv and give them to my grandparents.
i slapped a nvidia nforce video card from a newer (windows xp era) desktop i had, not very good but would have crapped all over the PCI video card that was in it, that no longer works. but i dont have any games old enough to see what it could play, probably it could play at LEAST doom 2, my 8th grade teacher stil has a wndows 95 box that plays it with very acceptable framerates haha. (he had the computer in his class room and i found the game on it, no dsisk though.)

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011

LOL

I love playing Doom on old computers.

My 4 year old kindergarten brain was playing legend of zelda during that time! :lol:

G

OMG!!!!
ITS ALIVE! ALIVE! ALIVE!

Die worthless trivial thread!

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!