Sign in with
Your question

Drobo FS vs LG N4B2N

Last response: in Storage
October 12, 2011 6:28:38 AM

I'm contemplating either purchasing LG N4B2N or Drobo FS.

I just need help deciding (I'm also open to the idea of another recommended product).

This is what I need:
At least 4 bays (that I can put my own HDDs in)
Media streaming capabilities (ie high def movies)
iTune server capabilities
FTP server capabilities (or some other method of remote access to files)
Raid 5 or something similar
Preferably decent transfer speeds (>25MB/S)

What I would like on top of that (but not necessary):
Remote BitTorrent
Drive hot swap
Print Server capabilities
Drive encryption

I'm considering the Drobo FS mainly due to it's beyondraid technology seems very promising, but I've heard they have terrible performance issues. I'm considering the LG N4B2N because it's gotten good reviews and alot of bonus features at a smaller price point than the Drobo FS.

I know that I could build my own NAS and run it with Linux, but I seriously would rather not dedicate my time to that project, especially since I have little expertise in that area and it would require significant investment of my time (which I would rather spend with my kids).

Are there any other viable NAS solutions that would meet my needs? (I also took a look at the D-Link DNS-343 but they're discontinued on NewEgg and have poor overall reviews)

More about : drobo n4b2n

October 12, 2011 7:32:32 PM

Don't go for Drobo FS, I have very bad experience with the tech support of Drobo. they took a month to look at my failed Drobo and told me that was unrecoverable at the end.
BeyondRAID just sound good, actually, it is a junk
a b G Storage
October 12, 2011 8:40:03 PM

Look at the eBOX-N
http://www.datoptic.com/home-server-nas-iscsi-with-bit-...

It has all the thing that you want...
Current version have ability to go up to 20x drives, but I don't think the manufacture address that

And the transfer rate is very decent on mine ... 60MB/sec
I can stream up to 3x BD.ISO file to Living room (DUNE-PRIME), M. Bedroom (TVIX Slim S1) and my Win7-32 via NFS protocols

I got this, because Manufacture offers 100% satisfaction ;-) and I'm happy
Related resources
October 12, 2011 9:36:11 PM

joaompp said:
I'm considering the Drobo FS mainly due to it's beyondraid technology seems very promising, but I've heard they have terrible performance issues.

Everybody has this 'BeyondRAID' Drobo touts about everywhere like it's god sent. Netgear has it, named as XRAID and Synology has it as Synology Hybrid RAID. I recommend not getting a Drobo.. because of it being BeyondRAID, it is PROPRIETARY, which means you'll be licking Drobo's .... to get your data back and paying them.. FYI Drobo Care sucks.. I had a terrible experience with it. Try looking up drobo sucks on Google.. You'll see. Good luck.
October 13, 2011 10:18:12 AM

FireWire2 said:
Look at the eBOX-N
http://www.datoptic.com/home-server-nas-iscsi-with-bit-...

It has all the thing that you want...
Current version have ability to go up to 20x drives, but I don't think the manufacture address that

And the transfer rate is very decent on mine ... 60MB/sec
I can stream up to 3x BD.ISO file to Living room (DUNE-PRIME), M. Bedroom (TVIX Slim S1) and my Win7-32 via NFS protocols

I got this, because it have 100% satisfaction warranty ;-) and I'm happy

Honestly it looks awesome, especially with all the features, but at $700 without drives is steep. I'm trying to keep the total cost at around $700 or as close to it as possible (Drobo FS had a $100 MiR). I'm definitely set on getting 4 WD Caviar Blacks either 750GB ($270) or 1TB ($320) so I need to take that into account.
October 29, 2012 5:47:00 PM

mikehawkitguy said:
Everybody has this 'BeyondRAID' Drobo touts about everywhere like it's god sent. Netgear has it, named as XRAID and Synology has it as Synology Hybrid RAID. I recommend not getting a Drobo.. because of it being BeyondRAID, it is PROPRIETARY, which means you'll be licking Drobo's .... to get your data back and paying them.. FYI Drobo Care sucks.. I had a terrible experience with it. Try looking up drobo sucks on Google.. You'll see. Good luck.

I can confirm this, as I am currently trying to scour the net in search of information as to how to do things with this overpriced, piece of .... that is the Drobo. My company has one and I have the displeasure of using it.

a b G Storage
October 30, 2012 5:57:04 PM

joaompp said:
Honestly it looks awesome, especially with all the features, but at $700 without drives is steep. I'm trying to keep the total cost at around $700 or as close to it as possible (Drobo FS had a $100 MiR). I'm definitely set on getting 4 WD Caviar Blacks either 750GB ($270) or 1TB ($320) so I need to take that into account.

How about DIY? It's pretty easy...

Get a low cost MINI ITX MB + 2GB of RAM about $120.00
Hardware raid controller SATA to five drives - SPM393 @ $95.00
A case with 300W+ for $40.00
Five 2TB HDD @ $90.00~$100.00 - I prefer 2TB cuz it's the most cost effective.
Using FreeNAS cost $0.00

Now you have a 10TB NAS can stream up to eight BD.ISO at the same time.

I think that is a worth solution to look at :-)
November 13, 2012 6:40:45 PM

I had the Drobo FS. It's very, very slow. Advise against it. Ended up going with the DroboPro instead.
a b G Storage
November 13, 2012 10:18:34 PM

unplugger71 said:
I had the Drobo FS. It's very, very slow. Advise against it. Ended up going with the DroboPro instead.

I dont have Drobo, but i saw the demo video Drobo site

Ridiculous, they demo compress video @ 700MB size.. this does not take much to stream... I want to see it transfers four BD.ISO at the same time.

I guess we're not going to see that :-)
!