Triple monitors on HD 5770

Status
Not open for further replies.

John28

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
Hi All
I am trying to run 3 monitors on my ATI Sapphire HD 5770 but can only get 2 monitors to work at once ....the third monitor shows up in the catalyst control center and I can swap them around but can't get all 3 working at once

My setup
Windows XP
ATI radeon HD 5770 (Installed latest 9.11 driver)
Dell 2408WFP monitor connected through the display port connection
Samsung 19" lcd monitor connected through the DVI connection
A standard 17" analog monitor (testing the setup before I buy another monitor) connected to the DVI input through a vga-dvi adapter

Any help is welcome
Thanx

Ghost_Roadie

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009
what you will need is a powered display port to DVI adapter such as this one http://accessories.dell.com/sna/products/Cables/productdetail.aspx?c=ca&l=en&s=dhs&cs=cadhs1&sku=330-5521
if it does not have a USB power cable it will not work

the other option is using a display port driven monitor which is harder to come by but hopefully will increase in popularity a little later this year or into next year

no word on if eyefinity requires vista, 7 or XP but i am assuming windows 7 should give you the best results due to it's advanced monitor set-up abilities

John28

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
the Dell 2408wfp is an official display port monitor so no adapter is needed..... after reading through the ATI_Eyefinity Technology Brief manual it looks like Eyefinity only works with Vista or Windows 7..... if anyone knows otherwise please let me know

Thanx for the reply

Ghost_Roadie

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009
you can if you find a VGA to display port adapter, same way as you would use a DVI-D adapter with a VGA adapter plugged in.
obviously it was designed for the 1920x1080+ range but 17"x3 would be a pretty good look too

Aramis

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
Hi:
You gotta connect the three monitors?

I have the same problem

My setup
Windows XP
ATI radeon HD 5770 (Installed latest 9.12 driver)
Eizo 2243W 22" monitor connected through the display port connection
Benq 2400W 24" lcd monitor connected connected to the DVI input through a vga-dvi adapter
ViewSonic VP191s 19" monitor A standard 17" connected to the DVI input

Like you, I can only connect two monitors at once.

tekkitan

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
Can you hook up a third monitor without using Eyefinity?

Been looking all over and this thread is the closest I have found so far. I don't care for the span across displays in games so much. I want to be able to play a full screen game on one screen, browse the web and watch movies on the other two display.

dangsy

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010

a 5770 should have 2 dvi, 1hdmi and 1 dp port....if it doesn't I don't think that's a 5770.

You can buy a DP -> VGA adapter, that will let you run 3 (expanded desktop) at once, they're cheap (~$25USD)

MiamiU

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009

HIS has two versions of the 5770, one with 2 dvi ports and one with just 1 dvi port.

randomrob

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010

Dangsy

Sounds like youve had some luck with getting this running

windows XP
XFX 5770
I have a Benq G2222HDL --> Running Direct DVI-D
Sony Bravia KDL-46W5100 --> Running direct HDMI
Proview 19" something... its old.. --> running through Displayport to VGA

Currently using the 9.12 CCC software and can toggle between the different Combos... ie DVI HDMI, DVI DP/VGA,HDMI DP/VGA. But i cant get them all simultaneously. Eyefinity or not...

Currently spent $50 on adaptors for display port to DVI and VGA so if i keep spending money im gonna be an idiot for not just buying the active DP adaptor.

Spent a couple of hours waiting for ATI to answer their phone before giving up. Read soooo many contradictions on the net about what works and what doesnt.

and one more thing... of all the videos i have tried watching to work it out, they all seem to have a different layout of CCC to me so im wondering if i have a package to install

G

You will only be able to run two monitors if you don't have either a native DisplayPort monitor, or use an active (powered) DisplayPort>DVI or DisplayPort->VGA adapter.

Eyefinity or not.

paperfox

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
You will only be able to run two monitors if you don't have either a native DisplayPort monitor, or use an active (powered) DisplayPort>DVI or DisplayPort->VGA adapter.

Eyefinity or not.

That statement about having an active DP to DVI/HDMI converter is no longer completely true.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/radeon-hd-5450,review-31803-3.html
This page outlines some of the limitations, like your biggest monitor(in terms of native resolution) will have to be the Displayport one.

http://support.amd.com/us/eyefinity/Pages/eyefinity-dongles.aspx
Is the list of confirmed passive and active DP adapters that work with the 5000 series cards.

jdr

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
Harlow, I have the same problem. Haven't really gotten any straight answers in this topic yet.

So let me get this clear.

Triple Display
1-DVI
1-DVI
1-HDMI

WILL NOT WORK?

I don't get why it wouldn't. Is the solution a DVI to DP adapter?

paperfox

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
To Harlow_54 and jdr,
ATI 5000 series cards require you to use the 3rd monitor with the DisplayPort output, the first and second can be any combination of DVI or HDMI.

If you don't have a native DisplayPort monitor with a DisplayPort input, then you will need either a $100 Active DisplayPort to DVI/HDMI adapter or a $25 Active DisplayPort to VGA adapter.

DP to VGA
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812270279
DP to DVI
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Cables/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&cs=19&sku=330-5521

jdr

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
Ok thanks, I wish they would specify that with the product.
I bought these from www.monoprice.com, lot cheaper than the other sites referred.

DP (DisplayPort) Male to DVI-D Female Adapter (Single-Link) $10.08
DisplayPort Male to DisplayPort Male 28AWG Cable (Gold Plated Connectors) - 6ft $6.36

jdr

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010

Ok so just tested this and it does NOT work.
I bought a DVI to DP adapter and I can still only run 2 displays.

Setup:
DVI (monitor)
HDMI (tv)
DVI -> DP (monitor)

When I try to activate the third monitor it still asks me to replace one of the other two...

:fou:

paperfox

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
The DP to DVI adapter must be an active one the ones you listed above look to be passive (from the price) and will not work. Active adapters will cost you $100 easily. And unfortunately the DP to vga adapter Ive listed has become unavailable...

G

Same problem here.. They all say you can use 3 monitors with ths ATI Radion 7550 HD card. Dude I've tried everything except using th Display Port Connection.. Also Gateway has a VGA port built on its motherboard and I get No signal. My three monitors are Dells ST2410 (ultra wide screens). If anyone knows what to do please post... At Wits end :pt1cable:

G

Check out what his guy says about whats he says is the problem..
reply — zxcasd 2010-04-27 14:23
so for displaying onto 3 displays: you require one monitor to use the displayport output... why?

the legacy outputs(VGA, DVI, HDMI) requires each output to have it's own reference clock, while displayport doesn't require one for each output. One graphics card has only 2 reference clocks. Therefore, if you want more than 2 displays, one has to use displayport...

Also, converting from displayport to VGA/HDMI/DVI isn't that simple either. Due to the above problem and other un-compatibilities, you need either a passive or active converter... google to find out what you need for your outputs...

if your graphics card only have DVI, VGA, HDMI(or a mixture of the three), you CAN ONLY output to a maximum of 2 screens

Status
Not open for further replies.