Step-by-Step Guide to Building a PC - page 2

149 answers Last reply
  1. Great job, This will be helpful for my build. Thanks
  2. Nice Job!

After dealing with numerous online PC builders and either not being treated courteously, or simply not getting answers, I built my own for the first time. I have tinkered around with enough PC that I have bought through the years too just try it myself. It was actually pretty fun and I did it without instructions in about 5 hours, including loading the OS. Here's what I did:

OS - Windows 7 64bit
    CPU - i7 950
    Motherboard - Asus Rampage II Extreme
    Memory - 12gb G-Skill DDR3 1333mhz
    Graphics Cards - Sapphire Radeon 5870 x 2
    Sound Card - Soundblaster X-fi 24bit
    Monitor - Samsung ToC T240HD 24" (1900x1200)
    160Gb Intel X25-M SSD
    WD Black 1Tb HDD
  3. Great Article, im new to diy comp rigs so this is awesome!!!
  4. I barely look at this section but i just saw this,a great guide really.
    Thanks for putting your time and making such a useful guide :)
  5. Found a link to this on a website, and I gotta say that this tops them all!

Very nice work!
  6. DokkRokken said:
    Found a link to this on a website, and I gotta say that this tops them all!

Very nice work!

Can you send me a PM on the website address, so I can check it out?

Thanks for your comments! :)
  7. Hi Tecmo -- I can't add anything new to what's been said, but I wanted to post my thanks for taking the time to create and update this post. I just built my first rig and it went flawlessly thanks to your guide! The photos were a big help, especially when the "guides" for the case and the motherboard were a bit unclear, I was able to refer to your photos and that clarified what I needed to do!

Thanks! :bounce: :D

Matt
  8. nice... this helped my brother's work PC(he never built a single PC himself)... =) Also, you should add water cooling guide that sometimes included in the case.
  9. Wow this build is almost identical to mine.......
  10. I got a dumb question, when do I hook the monitor up? :pt1cable:
  11. cjsdaddy said:
    I got a dumb question, when do I hook the monitor up? :pt1cable:

Actually a good question, you would hook your monitor up at Step 8 of the guide, which I will be adding that step to the guide.
  12. thanks I was in the middle of our first build, and realized i couldnt find it anywhere in there.LOL
  13. Nice, mine doesn't look as clean as that but this helped when I had many different questions that weren't answered else where. Plus the pictures helped orient me even though I was using a few different parts.
  14. I just noticed that proper grounding isn't covered in the beginning. Might be something to drop a paragraph in about electrical static safety. Oh, and don't lick the motherboard. Not good for you.
  15. skora said:
    I just noticed that proper grounding isn't covered in the beginning. Might be something to drop a paragraph in about electrical static safety. Oh, and don't lick the motherboard. Not good for you.

Good call... I have added a statement before starting Step 2 and all points forward.
  16. I'll follow your advice. I'll install the psu first.
  17. dennis2 said:
    I'll follow your advice. I'll install the psu first.

I find it the easiest way to install the PSU is first, specially on a top mounted PSU. You can get away with installing the PSU after the MOBO on a bottom mounted PSU but I wouldn't recommend it on a top mounted PSU. I've ran into many issues with top mounted PSU and having a hard time installing them after the MOBO, specially when there is a aftermarket HSF installed on the MOBO.
  18. Fantastic article, will be of great help setting up my first system. A well thought out and structured Step by Step. Cheers
  19. Can i apply the same method for connecting all the mother board parts if it is intel also?
  20. cisco sfp said:
    Can i apply the same method for connecting all the mother board parts if it is intel also?

Yes, you can apply the same method for connecting all the MOBO parts for an Intel build.
  21. Ok fine, thank you i will try it.
  22. What would be the most important thing we should take care of while assembling the system.
  23. The three most important things to take care of during a build is your MOBO, CPU & RAM... IMO
  24. I am considering build for my next PC. Thanks for this guide. Given that the MOBO is one of the key things to take care of, is there a better MOBO for new builders? Like who has the best users manuals? Should I do a cheaper build while I am on the learning curve, or does it matter. Do I want a larger case to go with my big clumsy hands?
  25. shmily_dana said:
    I am considering build for my next PC. Thanks for this guide. Given that the MOBO is one of the key things to take care of, is there a better MOBO for new builders? Like who has the best users manuals? Should I do a cheaper build while I am on the learning curve, or does it matter. Do I want a larger case to go with my big clumsy hands?

No need to look for a special MOBO or a super stready one. As long as you handle them with general care and remove any static electricity before dealing with them, there is nothing to worry about. I would sticky with ASUS, Gigabyte or EVGA motherboards. Those three seem to be the best from my experience over the years. Support is good and manuals are good (well as good as any manual seems to be :D ). I would build what you want to build. You can have the same issues with a highend PC as you can on a lowend PC. Since all the parts are new, you have issues you can't figure out, RMA components back with very little issues. A bigger case is easier to work with since you have more room. In the end, you want to purchase a case to fit your build needs and apperance factors. How easy it is to work with on the inside is a lower priority.
  26. Thank's for your suggestion and support.
  27. Would you think a anti-static wrist strap be necessary? I don't think its necessary since I've installed RAM before on a computer and all I did was touch the metal case before handling it.
  28. hotshizzle said:
    Would you think a anti-static wrist strap be necessary? I don't think its necessary since I've installed RAM before on a computer and all I did was touch the metal case before handling it.

No... Anti-static wrist staps are not necessary as long as you continue to touch the metal of the case before handling components (as you have been :) ).
  29. Hmm..in a guide somewhere someone has told me to connect the psu but make sure its off and then you can touch the grounded case. I'm going to build my first build ever and its going to be on tiles.
  30. hotshizzle said:
    Hmm..in a guide somewhere someone has told me to connect the psu but make sure its off and then you can touch the grounded case. I'm going to build my first build ever and its going to be on tiles.

It is an option but not a requirement to maintain being grounded. In my experience, I haven't had issues with just touching the case. You are working on tile, so that will help decrease the static build up. If you are concerned, you best bet is the anti-wrist strap.
  31. Also you mentioned internal speakers does this case includes that? :
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129073
  32. hotshizzle said:
    Also you mentioned internal speakers does this case includes that? :
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129073

No, the case does not come with an internal speaker. You will need to purchase one separate.
  33. What are the other functions of the internal speakers besides the beeps? I think I won't need this unless deemed necessary. And how much would it cost?
  34. I just finished my first build and it has so far gone problem free. I had an old xblade case not being used so I put in a GB P55 UD3, gskill 4GB, I5 750, Thermaltake 430 PSU, 1TB Seagate barracuda, Nvidia 8800gt. I hit power, loaded windows 7, ran disc for MoBo and it kicks ass now. After all the research I'd done on this board I expected issues but 3 days now and its running smoothly.
  35. This is an awesome article, and many thanks to the poster who took his time to put this information out to help builders.
  36. Oh, by the way, in the guide, what is that your resting the motherboard on? Is that the anti static bag it came in? I know everyone always says the bags are only anti static, so when I followed this guide, after I took the motherboard out the anti static bag, I cut the bag open, so I could set the motherboard on it and still get the benefits of the anti-static.
  37. You are corrected... The motherboard is resting on top of the anti-static bag it was shipped in. On all of my builds, this is the practice I use for handling of the motherboard.
  38. Big thanks for the guide - followed it through earlier and now have my new computer up and running. :sol:
  39. awesome guide!

first time building a pc and the only problem came when my ram didn't match the bios settings
  40. Static electricity? Guess I shouldn't be wearing my Norwegian wool slippers while I build my new rig :)
  41. cdem said:
    Big thanks for the guide - followed it through earlier and now have my new computer up and running. :sol:

Signed up to say the same thing. Thanks very much for guide, it made it much easier to do my first build.
  42. k00l guide XD
  43. Hi Tecmo, could you please add a step on how to update the bios and your video card?
  44. Kyo82 said:
    Hi Tecmo, could you please add a step on how to update the bios and your video card?

Are you looking for how to "Flash" your BIOS? - It will be a pretty simple instruction to follow the instructions of your motherboard manufacturer as each motherboard maker does it some what different.

What about the Video Card do you want on updating? - This is how to build a pc, so I'm not sure where it would fit but if you can give me more details, I'll see what I can come up with to add.
  45. Hi thanks for the reply:) I've never built a pc on my own before and am going to use your guide as a reference in a couple of month as I want to build my own, still doing some research on parts and how to do. Didn't know that there were already simple instructions with the motherboard about how to update the bios :kaola: Thought it would be more complicated. Sorry, feel really dumb. I just had a quick look at the manufacturer's website for the motherboard and graphics card...motherboard sounds easy but graphics card a bit more scary..http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3355&dl=1#driver. And am a bit lost, looking at the different options f5 got enhanced blu ray but f7 is the latest and doesn't mention it, so does f7 include it also? Or f5 and f7 are different? I just thought I would ask those questions as I've read that when building a new pc to make sure all bios and drivers are updated.
  46. no one ever talks about how to install frotn panel jumpers, mine are not all together, they are all seperate and i am having a hard time connecting them in the right place even when they are labeled because the case and motherboard labels are different.
  47. rolfmaomachizlin said:
    no one ever talks about how to install frotn panel jumpers, mine are not all together, they are all seperate and i am having a hard time connecting them in the right place even when they are labeled because the case and motherboard labels are different.

If you send me a PM, I can see if I can help you out with your jumpers.

The reason I didn't go into great deal on the front panel jumpers are as you said, each motherboard / case can have things call out differently so what I could have listed might not work for everyone, which is why it is important to read your manuals.
  48. This topic has been desticky in top of the forum by Randomizer

Now linked in the master sticky
  49. Thanks so much for this guide, I'd never even installed a RAM upgrade when I ordered my parts from newegg. I had this guide up on my laptop all afternoon as I put my new computer together and I couldn't have been more relieved/overjoyed/excited when everything started up perfectly on the first try! I used this guide exclusively, save for a youtube video demonstrating how to install the particular heatsink/cpu fan that I ordered to replace the stock CPU one).

As others have said I was slowed down during the step where you plug your front panel and other cables into the motherboard, but the guide was as specific as can be considering the variety of MOBOS and cases people will be working with.

I bought mostly decent products but the manuals/documentation were still garbage and I would have been lost if not for this guide. Thanks again!
  50. Glad the guide helped you through for a successful first build!! :) It only gets easier from here on builds.

Best Regards,

tecmo34
Ask a new question

Read More

Product Systems New Build