AMD Phenom II x4 965 3.4ghz
ASUS M4A78 Pro Motherboard
OCZ Blade 4gb (2x2gb) 1150mhz
Asus EAH 4870 GDDR5 1gb
WD Caviar Black 500gb 32mb Cache
Antec 650w psu
nzxt HU001

^i really dont like that case

What do you think i should upgrade/add in to improve overall performance or just generally, what do u think should be next improved? im thinking maybe a ssd or another large hdd for storage

What are the uses of this computer? If you use it for gaming, what games do you play?

Solid state drives are still a bit of an "iffy" technology still suffering from problems. If you have the money, ensure if you do get one it uses SLC technology as opposed to MLC. For example, the OCZ agility EX.

The two things you posted are polar opposites. an SSD will provide faster loading from the hard drive (programs open faster, games load maps faster etc.). A large HDD will provide you with more storage space.

So really, to be able to suggest upgrades, we need to know what you are using this rig for and your budget.

^ +1

Also If its not broke why fix it ?

If you need more storage then get it
If you need a better GPU because your game wont play then get it

If your upgrading just because, then it dont make any real sence

Trust me i get the need to upgrade also, but what happens is i spend 200-300 bucks for 10-20 FPS more when i cant see any more FPS then my monitor will allow anyways.

cory1234

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2005
Enzo is providing false information. MLC drives are perfectly fine for home use and will last longer than your regular hard drives. SLC drives are mainly for servers and cost a lot more money.

A ssd will provide the biggest increase in performance for your computer...if you are satisfied with your fps in games. If not a new graphics card would help there.

If you get an SSD I would recommend the Intel G2 series or the OCZ vertex turbo.
These 2 drives offer trim support which will prevent performance degrading over time.

JackMomma

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
not looking too much into the specs, but what about another Caviar in RAID-0? that would increase space and speed...

Another 4870 would be cheap and improve performance as well... just ideas for simple upgrades.

other than that, if i had money right now id like to throw a better sound card and a tv-tuner in my PC. just thinking outside the box, like they said, its all about what you wanna do with the computer

You can dump the entire thing and start all over with a high end i7 build, that would give you "generally" better performance. I think you just wanted to post something in the forums, and you actually do not "need" to do anything, that is what I think.

The information about the SSD technology still being "iffy" and suffering from problems is not false, although in recent years problems have been reduced. SLC drives cost more but are faster, lower power, and last longer. Perhaps I just have higher standards or are leaning towards the high end because I still don't trust the technology.

RAID-0 would provide increased speed and capacity. Just make sure that the second drive is the same size as the first.

If we're thinking outside the box, why don't you upgrade what you don't like? For example, you said you don't like the case. So replace it.

cory1234

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2005

His current system is almost as good as an i7...and if he overclocks it will be faster than what most people have.

I wouldn't recommend Raid-0 because if one drive fails you lose all the data. It's not worth the slight increase in performance. Buying a SSD just for your operating system and a few programs will provide a huge difference in responsiveness and is much faster than a raid-0 setup.