360 rad vs 240 + 120, gpu water block question

Tags:
  • Water Cooling
  • GPUs
  • Build
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
April 9, 2012 3:13:17 AM

Since my build has been delayed b/c of personal reasons( :cry:  ) ive put more time into refining it and was thinking to go with a XSPC rasa 750 with a 360 rad, now i was going to go with the same kit just with the 240 rad before delaying the build. so my question is if i got with the 240 and add a 120 rad will i beable to include my GTX 560 ti 448? or should i do the 360 rad?

Water Block... where would i find a full card water block for This card (http://ow.ly/a9jwP)

More about : 360 rad 240 120 gpu water block question

Best solution

a c 78 K Overclocking
April 9, 2012 7:58:22 AM

Quote:
or should i do the 360 rad?
in reality they offer the same dissipation. the only thing that separates the radiator apart from the loop order, is the construction/material of a radiator. This will affect your temps on idle and load.

if you have space, getting 1x360 will be the best idea as the restriction in your loop is limited to the other parts instead of the rad like the CPU block. BTW, the RX rads have minimal restriction. Price wise, the 240+120 will be higher - or so as frozencpu has shown.

If the question of pump comes up, the X2O pump in the rasa kit is much debated and discouraged from using. Some have had good spells with them while others say its the worst thing to have when you'll want to build up on your loop. If so, get the XSPC Raystorm (VPP) kit on frozen that goes for nearly $300. Its the best investment you can make as you get the Raystorm in the kit and the whole works like compression's. Regardless of going 240 or 360, the pump is strong enough to add more stuff to the loop like rads and blocks in the Raystorm kit.

_________________________________________ end of radiator ques

for a GTX560Ti 448 you' might want to look at universal blocks. a full cover block might be an issue as there is a IHS in some models of nvidia cards while some don't come from factory and the cooler is assembled to acc for the missing IHS due to a revised design. If the card has an IHS, the card will have temp issues.

cross reference some sites like watercool, aquacomputer, EK who make alot of FC blocks or contact them to see if they have a block that goes on your card.

and... as far as mem serves me, i think the GTX560Ti 448 is build on the 570 PCB so thats where you could start looking

__________________________________________ end of FC block question

hope these help.
a c 190 K Overclocking
April 9, 2012 9:25:45 AM

If you have room for the 360, get the 360, its better to have one big rad than three little ones that end up being the same area, plus you buy less fittings :p 
This guy has a list of a couple,http://www.overclock.net/t/1057698/single-slot-full-cov...
but is your card reference pcb or nonref?
I'd also check out the stick linked in Lutfij' signature, read up on things a bit
Moto
m
l
Related resources
a c 337 K Overclocking
April 9, 2012 1:56:50 PM

Quote:
and... as far as mem serves me, i think the GTX560Ti 448 is build on the 570 PCB so thats where you could start looking

This is correct; most of the 560Ti 448's are based on GTX 570 reference (it's the same card, just has core/shaders disabled/underclocked. I don't think they are making non-reference 560 Ti's that are non-reference from 570's, but do some checking just to make sure.
m
l
a c 78 K Overclocking
April 9, 2012 8:09:56 PM

^ yeah, i have seen EVGA come out with their Classified GTX560Ti 448 but it is the same length as a 570 and like you mentioned has some cores disabled/underclocked thus having near similar perf as a 570.

* if OP is having issues with the rad placement :)  he should give modo's radbox build log a shot :p 
m
l
April 9, 2012 9:38:24 PM

Lutfij said:
Quote:
or should i do the 360 rad?
in reality they offer the same dissipation. the only thing that separates the radiator apart from the loop order, is the construction/material of a radiator. This will affect your temps on idle and load.

if you have space, getting 1x360 will be the best idea as the restriction in your loop is limited to the other parts instead of the rad like the CPU block. BTW, the RX rads have minimal restriction. Price wise, the 240+120 will be higher - or so as frozencpu has shown.

If the question of pump comes up, the X2O pump in the rasa kit is much debated and discouraged from using. Some have had good spells with them while others say its the worst thing to have when you'll want to build up on your loop. If so, get the XSPC Raystorm (VPP) kit on frozen that goes for nearly $300. Its the best investment you can make as you get the Raystorm in the kit and the whole works like compression's. Regardless of going 240 or 360, the pump is strong enough to add more stuff to the loop like rads and blocks in the Raystorm kit.

_________________________________________ end of radiator ques

for a GTX560Ti 448 you' might want to look at universal blocks. a full cover block might be an issue as there is a IHS in some models of nvidia cards while some don't come from factory and the cooler is assembled to acc for the missing IHS due to a revised design. If the card has an IHS, the card will have temp issues.

cross reference some sites like watercool, aquacomputer, EK who make alot of FC blocks or contact them to see if they have a block that goes on your card.

__________________________________________ end of FC block question

hope these help.

Now that were talking $200-300 for a kit it seems it would be better to buy all the parts separately, is this true? btw as you can see i'm a total noob :pt1cable:  .... and yes ive read through the stickys.

Just for a reference, this is my case: rosewill THOR v2 white edition.
m
l
a c 78 K Overclocking
April 9, 2012 10:42:53 PM

i'm not sure you can pick up those stuff for 300 including that pump or tubing selection and compression's in a custom selected list of parts. But this is what you can do to the top of your case, by using external mounting hardware also available on frozen for $5 or it comes free with the rasa kit.

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2551...

the sticky - a couple of readthroughs with a cup of coffee will help clear all the fuzzy lines in your mind :) 
m
l
April 9, 2012 11:12:43 PM

Ok so to clarify things...

The only thing that is low quality in the XSPC rasa 750 (240 Rad version) is the pump correct?
m
l
a c 78 K Overclocking
April 9, 2012 11:15:21 PM

yeap!
m
l
April 9, 2012 11:25:41 PM

Lutfij said:
yeap!

Ok so ive been looking online for diffrent kit for arround the same price point and i came across this ( http://bit.ly/IcjcQD ) , would this be better, worst or the same as the XSPC rasa 720 (240 rad)
m
l
a c 78 K Overclocking
April 9, 2012 11:40:44 PM

if you've done your digging regarding that LTX block from EK, its under performing against a rasa/raystorm.

for $80 more your getting less of a price/performance gain.

one thing we here on tom's try to do is give good suggestions that is healthy on the consumer and his/her wallet. since most people and almost everyone has a budget. Like Logan(on Comp TV) would put it, "if you've got no budget - go ahead and buy NASA i don't care" :p 

lets consider it to be the same as a rasa 750 RX240 kit its still more than the rasa kit. Furthermore, i don't like that pump, dodgy from what people on other forums are saying. Yeap, i'd stay away from it.
m
l
April 9, 2012 11:59:56 PM

Well Lutfij, thanks for all your help. i've learned a lot but right now with a sub $200 budget i don't think getting the rasa kit is a "smart" choice if the pump will fail and fry my stuff. I think I will grab a ssd and nice air cooler to go along with my build. and later maybe up grade to the raystorm kit you recommended.

Again thanks for all the help,

- JJ
m
l
a c 78 K Overclocking
April 10, 2012 12:03:21 AM

:lol:  the pump won't fry and kill your stuff. it'll just quietly die out. Its your wish, we're here to help. the reason i'm referring to the VPP single Raystorm kit is the pump is a one off purchase where you can add whatever you want in the loop without worrying about flow/pressure drop.

the EK's and the rasa cripple you as you add more stuff - some had good spells with them, some had worse. In both these kits, the rad/block are fine as can be, the weakest link in that chain of components is the pump.
m
l
April 10, 2012 12:16:10 AM

Quote:
:lol:  the pump won't fry and kill your stuff. it'll just quietly die out. Its your wish, we're here to help.

Well thats good to know =]

SO for sub $200 would it be worth it to grab the rasa 240 rad kit because i don't see many "DIY" so to speak kits for the same price point. and i would rather not get a closed loop system like the corsair h100. Also lets cut the GPU from the loop b/c that's out of my budget range.

I feel like a idiot right now... :pfff: 
m
l
a c 78 K Overclocking
April 10, 2012 12:41:18 AM

spedn the $250 on the RX 240 extreme kit and you'll thank me later when you'll want to expand on the rad and into the gpu blocks.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/15402/ex-wat-207/XSPC...

can add more raddage and more block like NB and maybe a full cover mobo block later down the road. Usually when you see alot of this on the forums, you'll know people end up having two to three of the same thing cos they went with a kit the first time round and felt silly for not taking the time and rushing it/having a smaller budget.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/6475/ex-rad-124/XSPC_...
to mount the rad outside case

but this is still good:
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/14182/ex-wat-181/XSPC...
and you get the external mounting hardware with the kit. adding anything else to the mix will just spell as R I S K Y.

Extreme kit pros:
compression fittings
colored tubing choice
raystorm block with LED
VPP pump - strong for future redundancy
choice of fans

RX rasa kit pros:
standard barbs
standard tubing clear
plastic reusable tubing clamps
Rasa 750 block

i myself got an H50 and modded it thinking it'd be splendid. But that was my learning curve in going full on custom and future proof myself. Better to have the thing you might need than not have it at all when you need it.
m
l
April 10, 2012 12:53:39 AM

Lutfij said:
spedn the $250 on the RX 240 extreme kit and you'll thank me later when you'll want to expand on the rad and into the gpu blocks.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/15402/ex-wat-207/XSPC...

can add more raddage and more block like NB and maybe a full cover mobo block later down the road. Usually when you see alot of this on the forums, you'll know people end up having two to three of the same thing cos they went with a kit the first time round and felt silly for not taking the time and rushing it/having a smaller budget.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/6475/ex-rad-124/XSPC_...
to mount the rad outside case

but this is still good:
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/14182/ex-wat-181/XSPC...
and you get the external mounting hardware with the kit. adding anything else to the mix will just spell as R I S K Y.

Extreme kit pros:
compression fittings
colored tubing choice
raystorm block with LED
VPP pump - strong for future redundancy
choice of fans

RX rasa kit pros:
standard barbs
standard tubing clear
plastic reusable tubing clamps
Rasa 750 block

Ok i'll try and get the extreme kit, i like how i can choose the tubing and fan speed. i think the black tubing will go GREAT with the asus z77 sabertooth. Again thanks for all your help and ignore my little bipolar rant. XD i'll post pics once i get everything set up (idk when that will be) :bounce: 
m
l
April 10, 2012 12:54:24 AM

Best answer selected by jjd712.
m
l
a c 78 K Overclocking
April 10, 2012 1:20:03 AM

have a build log when the stuff arrive or if this thread ends up closed, ask mods to reopen the thread and post pics here.

get the highest spec'd fan which is the delta's i think and also snag a fan controller to turn them fans down. You can have the rads in push or pull setup wouldn't need a push pull but thas my opinion on fan setups.

* Yate loon 2250 rpm fans
edit: thank you for BA
m
l
April 10, 2012 1:36:23 AM

OK sounds good =] since i'm pushing my budget now the bios on the mobo will have to handle the fans, at least for a bit XD. and i will post a build log
m
l
a c 78 K Overclocking
April 10, 2012 1:40:51 AM

wait wait, you're going for Fans off the BIOS route? then get this:
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/13548/cab-464/Akasa_F...

as i don't know how much power that mobo can give off for one fan header, is also a good alternative for running all them fans off one cpu header but get ample power when you need it from the psu via molex and set cpu fan speed to silent in BIOS
m
l
April 10, 2012 1:50:13 AM

So how does that work exactly? i plug them into the cpu fan AND the molex? Sounds better than routing all those fan cables everywhere
m
l
a c 78 K Overclocking
April 10, 2012 1:56:40 AM

theres only one female end that'll go into the mobo cpu header and the rest will be free to hook up to the male headers. the PWM signal comes from mobo header while power is delivered via the molex which is connected to PSU all that while the fans 3~4 pins are yet working the way they should.

Quote:
Sounds better than routing all those fan cables everywhere
its an alternative to the fan controller but by no means a replacement :) 

* might want to watch where the fan cables go cos if modo and i come on-board the OCD cablemanagement express...you're doomed mate
m
l
April 10, 2012 2:20:29 AM

Quote:
* might want to watch where the fan cables go cos if modo and i come on-board the OCD cablemanagement express...you're doomed mate

I have a bit of ocd... cables crossing over the mobo.... bad... very bad :lol: 

But i do plan on buying a fan controler in the near future. im just a bit over budget now (about $50), and being 16 yr/o and no job doesn't help. =[
m
l
a c 78 K Overclocking
April 10, 2012 2:23:32 AM

hey, hope you get the stuff, and lemme know how that fan splitter works out for you - I've been eyeing it and recommending some folks to it. but am yet to use one. But i already got myself a fan controller so... :) 
m
l
April 10, 2012 2:55:54 AM

Quote:
hey, hope you get the stuff, and lemme know how that fan splitter works out for you - I've been eyeing it and recommending some folks to it. but am yet to use one. But i already got myself a fan controller so... :) 

Yep so do i =] and i def will post pics and some thoughts on the fan splitter

Have a great night,

-JJ
m
l
a c 78 K Overclocking
April 10, 2012 3:34:21 AM

its morning where i live :) 
m
l
a c 190 K Overclocking
April 10, 2012 6:42:21 AM

Hehe, nothing to say here except to reiterate on the cables......
:p 
nice work Lutfij :) 
Moto
m
l
a c 78 K Overclocking
April 10, 2012 7:29:43 PM

Quote:
except to reiterate on the cables......
hehe, thanks mate - we'll need to wait and see how OCD OP is :p 
m
l
May 10, 2012 3:00:48 AM

Well I Received 90% of the parts today( just missing the motherboard its still shipping), I was not able to fit water cooling into the build but, when i have the build all set i will post pics. Note that a lot of parts have changed from what i posted above.
m
l
a c 78 K Overclocking
May 20, 2012 8:46:49 PM

it would help if you could list the line up of parts as they change, so people can follow up on your hardware list and maybe drop in on the thread conversation quicker than reading all posts :) 
m
l
!