Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Help selecting ram please

Last response: in Memory
May 20, 2010 2:57:15 AM

I snapped a pic of CPU-Z off of my rig and after looking at the voltage, as well as latency I have no idea what type of RAM I should use since it ranges from 4.4.4.12, 5.5.5.15, and 6.6.6.18. It is the exact same on all 4 slots that I choose. I just know I need PC-6400. Any recommendation on the type of ram though? I have an Asus M3A32-MVP mobo and am looking for something that I can just drop in for a clean install of 8GB of RAM.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

More about : selecting ram

Best solution

May 20, 2010 4:03:24 AM

you need DDR2 memory. Nothing else matters. All and any DDR2 memory will work. The numbers you are referring to are the timings, which affect speed. Nothing to do with compatibility. I recommend you get the least expensive from a company either:
kingston
corsair
mushkin
crucial

OCZ did not make the list due to the seemingly high failure rate.

If you are really worried about compatibility, you can find a list of memory that Asus tested with your motherboard:
http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=KC8yHOfBMCe9SlrP
a c 163 } Memory
May 20, 2010 4:46:36 AM

Hi.

Look for the CL in ur BIOS and the voltage of the RAM, after that get a RAM with the same specifications that ur current RAM has. Usually DDR2 is CL5 @ 1.8V, but some high performance RAM like Crucial have DDR2 800MHz CL4 @ 2.0V.
Related resources
May 20, 2010 4:48:33 AM

saint19 said:
Hi.

Look for the CL in ur BIOS and the voltage of the RAM, after that get a RAM with the same specifications that ur current RAM has. Usually DDR2 is CL5 @ 1.8V, but some high performance RAM like Crucial have DDR2 800MHz CL4 @ 2.0V.

Correction, get the same or higher. The faster ram will run itself at the same speeds as the slower ram. Whichever is least expensive.
a c 163 } Memory
May 20, 2010 1:14:39 PM

^Yeah, u can run it to 1.8V and I think that u will not have problems with ur current RAM.
June 1, 2010 11:54:24 PM

Best answer selected by tehdrizzle.
!