Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

2 x 4850 or 1 4890

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
November 21, 2009 6:31:36 PM

I'm currenty using one 4850 graphics card (512MB), thinking of adding a second 4850 (512MB) or just getting a single 4890 (1GB) card to replace the 4850.
I'm about ready to play Supreme Commander (at 1440X900) and want to run the grahics setting on high.
So what graphics setup would be best?

More about : 4850 4890

a b U Graphics card
November 21, 2009 6:52:31 PM

Hi Tacoboy,

I think it may be closer than you'd think, but I'm relatively certain two 512MB HD 4850s will outperform a single HD 4890; both configurations will have 1GB of video memory available to them and will handle a 1440x900 resolution fine.

Unfortunately it seems like it's impossible to find any articles directly comparing HD 4890 vs 4850 CrossFire performance so I can't provide any proof, however, I think regardless it is the most price effective solution for you to take.

Also, as a side note, Supreme Commander likes beefy CPUs.
m
0
l
a c 169 U Graphics card
November 21, 2009 6:57:24 PM

+1^
2xHD 4850 perform better than a single HD 4890 but Supreme commander will mostly benefit from a good CPU,i think a single HD 4850 can handle Supreme commander on high for that resolution.
What is your CPU ?
m
0
l
Related resources
November 21, 2009 11:58:30 PM

brockh said:
Hi Tacoboy,

I think it may be closer than you'd think, but I'm relatively certain two 512MB HD 4850s will outperform a single HD 4890; both configurations will have 1GB of video memory available to them and will handle a 1440x900 resolution fine.

Unfortunately it seems like it's impossible to find any articles directly comparing HD 4890 vs 4850 CrossFire performance so I can't provide any proof, however, I think regardless it is the most price effective solution for you to take.

Also, as a side note, Supreme Commander likes beefy CPUs.


I'm using an AMD 2.8GHz quad core cpu, with 4GBs of memory and Vista 64.
m
0
l
November 21, 2009 11:59:16 PM

Maziar said:
+1^
2xHD 4850 perform better than a single HD 4890 but Supreme commander will mostly benefit from a good CPU,i think a single HD 4850 can handle Supreme commander on high for that resolution.
What is your CPU ?


AMD Quad core 2.8GHz
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 22, 2009 12:46:54 PM

Tacoboy said:
AMD Quad core 2.8GHz


Even if it's a Phenom I it should be good enough seeing that it at least has four cores and the game makes use of them.
m
0
l
a c 169 U Graphics card
November 22, 2009 12:50:01 PM

A combination of one HD 4850 and your CPU can handle Supreme commander on high settings on 1440x900 resolutions,have run it yet ?
m
0
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
November 22, 2009 1:07:04 PM

I would think your current setup should be fine for playing that game on high at that resolution.
But, to answer your question, 2 HD4850s are a lot better than an HD4890 with performance similar to an HD5850.
m
0
l
a c 189 U Graphics card
November 22, 2009 2:45:59 PM

Agree with all of you guys, 2x HD 4850 will outperformed a 4890.
Also, your system is just strong enough to play that game on HIGH setting...
m
0
l
November 22, 2009 4:01:56 PM

jyjjy said:
I would think your current setup should be fine for playing that game on high at that resolution.
But, to answer your question, 2 HD4850s are a lot better than an HD4890 with performance similar to an HD5850.


ehm actually
2 hd 4850's are a little stronger than the Gtx 280, and the Hd 5850 rapes the 280, so that doesn't make the performance similar....
m
0
l
a c 169 U Graphics card
November 22, 2009 5:59:15 PM

2xHD 4850s perform pretty much like a HD 4870X2/HD 5870:
http://techreport.com/articles.x/15293
Its a little old article but it compares 2 HD 4850s with 1 HD 4870X2(Which performs like a HD 5870 in almost every game)
m
0
l
!