magruder13

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
Hey guys, I have a few questions about my home theater system. I first got a 5.1 surround sound system about 3 years ago when i got my 42'' plasma and its basically pooped out on me. It rarely works sound sucks so i have some questions. What is a HTPC first off, could i use it for surround sound? I'm very good at building computers and was wondering if i could use a HTPC to record TV from my DirectTV HD receiver, and then output the sound to my 5 speakers i already have. Also i would be useing my PS3 on this TV, could i route that through my HTPC to put out surround sound? These may sound like retarded questions but i dont know much of anything about HTPC's.

thanks alot guys.

Well, an HTPC is basically anything you want it to be. Generally, it is like a PS3, TiVo, PC, blu-ray/DVD player, and media server all rolled into one.

The biggest advantage is that an HTPC is upgradeable and can morph into what you need. You can make it faster, have more storage, you are not limited by codec support, add plug-ins to jazz it up, or you can upgrade the optical drive very easily.

The biggest disadvantage is that an HTPC requires maintenance and time to set up everything. It does not just work "out-of-the-box". If you are married, there's also the WAF to consider. If anything doesn't work right, expect your better-half to get pissy. Until CableCard tuners become widely available, digital TV has some compromises to get set up.

The thing I like best about my HTPC is the storage. I have hundreds of DVD's, TV shows, Blu-Rays available on a hard drive and a bling interface to browse all of it. I also like being able to use my iPod Touch to playback a library 40,000 mp3's through my receiver remotely anywhere within distance of my wireless router.

magruder13

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
Thanks alot rwprit, that really helped, one more question tho, can i get a sound card to put into the system that will make it 7.1 surround sound with speakers i already have from a typical home theater system?

7.1 surround is possible for Dolby Digital and DTS by either S/PDIF (optical or coax) or HDMI to your receiver. You can do this with either onboard audio (if available on the motherboard), sound card (depending on model), or through any of the AMD Radeon HD4xxx or HD5xxx video cards (via HDMI). There's also analog options, using 1/8" mini jacks, but that's more hassle than it's worth IMO.

The 7.1 Hi Def audio on blu-rays (Dolby Digital-TrueHD and DTS-HD MA) is a little different. There's LPCM (the HTPC decodes and sends audio over discreet channels) and bitstreaming (the HTPC sends the untouched audio to the receiver to be decoded). LPCM is possible on GeForce 8200/8300/9300/9400 motherboard chipsets and AMD HD4xxx video cards. The new AMD HD5xxx cards now have the capability to bitstream DD-HD and DTS-HD over HDMI straight to the receiver. YAY! You can add bitstreaming to existing hardware using a sound card like the Asus Xonar, but they are pricey.

I hope I didn't muddy up the waters for you. It's a lot easier to just buy a PS3 or standalone BD player, hook it up to a receiver and be done with it. If you like to tinker and are up to the challenge though, HTPC is a fun hobby.

I only have a 5.1 setup right now, so anybody correct me if I'm wrong on any of the above info.