Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Noobie Needs a Guide to CPU/GPU Overclocking

Last response: in Overclocking
April 9, 2012 5:24:28 PM

Hey Guys,

I'm fairly new to the Overclocking thing. What I am looking for is a starter guide/mentor to show me how to start getting into CPU/GPU overclocking safely.

I'm a 3D artist and computer game addict. Right now I was only able to upgrade my GPU from GTX 275-> GTX 560ti. I wish I could upgrade my CPU/RAM but at this point I can't afford to upgrade it. So my only other option to increase performance without spending money is to OC my system.

My System
====================

Processor Intel® Core™ i7 920 Processor (4x 2.66GHz/8MB L3 Cache) D0
Motherboard Asus P6T
Memory 12 GB [2 GB X6] DDR3-1600 Triple Memory Module - Kingston HyperX
Video Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560Ti 2GB
Power Supply 850 Watt -- Coolermaster Real Power Pro 850w Power Supply - SLI Ready
Case Thermaltake Element G
Processor Cooling Coolermaster V8 CPU Cooling Fan System

Goal
====================

My ideal OC would be getting my i7 to around 3ghz or above and increase my ram speed to make it stable.

I've googled "Asus P6T i7 920 overclocking" and found lots of videos and tons of guides. But seems like most of the guides use words which is very new to me. And lots of guides there are always comments like "noob" or "worse guide ever". Considering that doing this all wrong can result in fying my computer, I figured I'd make a post and see if there are any people out there who could help me get started in a safe way.

Thanks for reading my post and I would appreciate any advice you guys have for me.

If any of you have the same CPU/Motherboard as I do, please let me know what you did to achieve
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
April 9, 2012 9:29:30 PM

Start here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/259903-29-overclockin...

If you don't understand some of the terminology, look up said term individually or ask here, but you have to have a strong foundation on what you are doing with each of these values and why.

Settings are 'basically' the same for each mobo, although might be worded/called different things, so having a good read foundation is critical. I could overclock an ASUS P5Q3 socket 775 board as easy as my GA-Z68XP-UD3P simply by having the foundation.
m
l
Related resources
April 19, 2012 8:34:27 PM

i was able to overclock my 920 to 4.0ghz fairly easily.

but.... with heating issues.... the processor getting close to 88 degree celcius at full load i decided to stick to 3.8ghz.

I used Prim95 to test everything for 4 hours. and it was all fine and good.

Until later that night i was using photoshop and it experienced full hard core blue screen of death.

anyway i can find out what caused the blue screen of death?
m
l

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
April 20, 2012 5:58:29 AM

Without having the info contained in the Blue Screen, no. You can run your memory thru memtest and make sure there are no errors there (if it fails OCed, try at stock settings). Have to do one stick in one slot at a time, takes a while, but it's worth knowing if you have a bad DIMM or RAM stick.
April 21, 2012 4:18:51 AM

Best answer selected by maddmaxx212.
m
l
April 21, 2012 4:19:51 AM

thanks...

i don't think its a bad DIMM or RAM... i've had the same ram for close to 5 years and it rarely gets blue screen of death.

is it possible it has something to with my ram voltage?
m
l
!