Can I copy VAIO restore CD's to drive partition and instal..

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
June 20, 2004 2:07:07 PM

Hi-- I just got a used Sony SRX87 with an external DVD drive. I'd
like to resell the DVD drive since I can install all my software via
WLAN and have no need for it. That is except for a possible future
need to use the RESTORE cdrom's. Since this is a SONY, only their
external drive will work.

My question: Has anyone copied the restore cdrom images to a separate
partition and installed from there? I used to do this with a Progear
tablet pc with Win XP and it worked great. My fears are that the
restore application only looks for the optical drive and can't be
redirected, and/or that the restore process rewrites a drive
image--wiping out the mbr and the "restore" partition I've created.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 22, 2004 1:05:24 AM

Hi Steve -

I don't think this will work. The Restore CD set needs to be able to boot
the system in order to run. If your laptop has a BIOS option for network
boot (some do), you may be able to copy your Restore CD set to the network
and run it from there.

As far as I know, Sony's BIOS' only support their own optical drives being
bootable with the Restore CD's.

Jef

!