Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

BE HONEST, are you buying a 5970? Why?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
November 21, 2009 7:29:45 PM

I'm just curious as it just seems like this particular item is WAY out of most folks' league price wise (and that's not even considering the need for a 750w PSU/giant case/etc.). So, if you are one of the lucky few who will be ordering this beast, please explain your reasoning. I'm not trying to bash at all, this is just the kind of thing I would never think of owning and would love to hear from future owners as to thier reasoning for purchase.

More about : honest buying 5970

a b U Graphics card
November 21, 2009 7:36:26 PM

The Same reason I bought a Grand Caravan instead of a regular Caravan, chicks dig the extra length !!
m
0
l
a c 130 U Graphics card
November 21, 2009 7:40:04 PM

Quote:
BE HONEST, whats the point of this post?


Never been curious before ? I think its valid, I cant ever see a scenario where i would ever buy one either. I think it would be nice to know just what type of system people who want one of these are running.
Is it an actual need for the card or a want ?
My whole system (well just the tower that is) cost less than the asking price of this card.

Mactronix
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 130 U Graphics card
November 21, 2009 7:41:25 PM

TheGreatGrapeApe said:
The Same reason I bought a Grand Caravan instead of a regular Caravan, chicks dig the extra length !!


:lol:  How long have you had one and whats it like then Ape

Mactronix
m
0
l
November 21, 2009 7:51:40 PM

Not, not at all. I have no use for such Behemoth, even a 5870 might be overkill for my system. Getting a 5970 would be like throwing money down the drain due to CPU bottleneck. Not to mention I have a single 22 monitor, not two 30's...
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 21, 2009 7:51:41 PM

Well, production of such cards are low to begin with, and are much cheaper than say a nVidia Mars card, and outperforms it by 30%+ or so.
Now, imagine having 3 30' screens. and only want the best gaming scenario your wallet can afford, as is what we all want.
Understand, if people have more monies, it doesnt make them evil,quiotic or foolish, theyre just like all of us, and companies make products for them, just like for all of us.
Simple if you think of it
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 21, 2009 7:57:24 PM

mactronix said:
:lol:  How long have you had one and whats it like then Ape


I've had Caravans since 2002, the latest one purchased in July. What's it like? Spaciously Sexy. :whistle: 

As for the 5970, not my type, it's a Bugatti Veyron, big and fast and pricey, not my style. But I'd be tempted to buy one for the ladies. ;) 

Anywhoo, off to watch hockey and then UFC 106. [:thegreatgrapeape:3]

m
0
l
November 21, 2009 8:06:23 PM

Personally no, but thats because i just ordered my sapphire 5870 2 days ago before i knew about this one. And the 5870 for me might already be too big for my case, ill have to wait and see though.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 21, 2009 8:10:41 PM

I also would not buy one because at this point, there is really nothing that needs that much power and i like to keep my computer on the lower end of power consumption because otherwise my room gets hot, even on a cold day
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 21, 2009 10:59:21 PM

You know that 4-way crossfire has been available for a while yes shadow? :D 

4x5870 will obliterate anything nvidia can do, probably with 8, 16 or 100 cards.

OT, no I won't be buying a 5970, but others will.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 22, 2009 1:25:14 AM

^Yes, but this is OctoSLI :p 
m
0
l
November 22, 2009 1:48:19 AM

I have a confession to make... I HAVE paid $600 for a video card once... right when the 7800 GTX came out it was $600... and I paid that price. I wanted to be able to play Oblivion damnit! (for the youngsters... Oblivion was the game that punished video cards before Crysis came on the scene) Although I'm FAR from wealthy, I have lived a relatively simple/easy life... my electric bill was $36 this month... I have a rent-free lake front cabin in a crime-free area... I go to work on time every day... I pay my taxes... and well, I guess sometimes you just like to treat yourself to the nicest thing available. From a value point of view, buying a $600 makes ABSOLUTELY no sense (I'm excluding professionals when I say that) I doubt I'll do that again though. I guess everyone wants to feel on top... if only for a second... and if only for something as trivial as GPU bragging rights.

Now I aim for $200-$300 for a GPU and around that same price for a CPU... the price increases exponentially after that, but the performance goes up in a more linear fashion. i5-750 + ATI 5850 = Good enough for me :) 
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 22, 2009 1:53:14 AM

woah man shadow, this is just too much. It's too confusing that you AND randomizer have the same avatar...
m
0
l
November 22, 2009 2:39:50 AM

Shadow703793 said:
What, only a small 5970? Why not 4x GTX 285s? http://www.evga.com/blackfriday/

:lol: 



yea 4 way sli, you will be able to watch all the lights on your block dim when you turn it on. Might want to have a nuclear reactor in your basement to power it. reminds me of the movie christmas vacation when they turn on the Christmas lights and the power in the entire town goes out.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 22, 2009 3:01:28 AM

TheGreatGrapeApe said:
What's it like? Spaciously Sexy. :whistle: 

I've got to find a scenario to use that line!!

mpavao81 said:
yea 4 way sli, you will be able to watch all the lights on your block dim when you turn it on. Might want to have a nuclear reactor in your basement to power it. reminds me of the movie christmas vacation when they turn on the Christmas lights and the power in the entire town goes out.

I just bought my first house this year, and in Wal-Mart the other day I walked past the Christmas lights, and all I could think about was that movie. Safe to say I just kept walking.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 22, 2009 3:05:20 AM

yeah with that much power consumption of 4 285's, i'd probably scream OUCH! every 1 minute thinking about the energy bill I would get at the end of the month. Not worth the performance IMO.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 22, 2009 3:22:58 AM

I doubt I will purchase one. I think one HD 5870 will do. If I do require another one, I will just buy another HD 5870 to crossfire.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 22, 2009 3:31:26 AM

2X 5890's, CrossFireX, Eyefinity, 6 30 inch monitors, Crysis @ Very high - Doable?
One thing I know, that setup is priceless.
m
0
l
a c 130 U Graphics card
November 22, 2009 8:04:14 AM

uncfan_2563 said:
woah man shadow, this is just too much. It's too confusing that you AND randomizer have the same avatar...


What would be a hoot is if the whole forum suddenly stsrted using it :lol: 

Mactronix
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 22, 2009 9:45:46 AM

Quote:
BE HONEST, whats the point of this post?


I'm being honest when I say the point of your point has no point, only a question?

Seriously, people will buy the 5970 for the same reason rich peoplbuy Ferraris. They want the best and they're friggin' filthy rich so it's just chump change to them. But to go with that they probably have the largest gaming LCD monitor so it wouldn't be a complete waste unlike a Ferrari stuck on LA's freeways during rush hour.

Or, maybe they just want to stroke their ego and brag to say their system can truly run Crysis 100 fps with all settings maxed out.

I plan to buy a 5970 about 2 years from now when it's performance will be in the midrange compared to the latest released cards. Why? Because I'm not friggin' filthy rich and have to wait!

m
0
l
a c 130 U Graphics card
November 22, 2009 12:06:32 PM

To be realistic for a while though its not like the card is that enormous of an unnecessary graphics monster. Put it on a decent size/resolution screen, 1920x1200 and above playing Crysis/warhead on enthusiast settings and it will do the job nicely but i wouldn't call it over kill by any measure.
Its good that we have hardware like this available to people and more importantly the Development community. I don't know but would have thought that the companies would let the Dev's have hands on newer tech as soon as possable ? We need to keep having the Hardware challenge the Software and vice versa or else things would stagnate totally.
There is an argument to say it has stalled somewhat with the almost legacy support of DX9 in games but that's a business/cost (think console ports here) decision that if handed to any of us we would make i think.
The naming policy is a bit weird but then if they are looking at multi chip cards in the future as a standard then loosing the X2 moniker kinda makes sense.
Mactronix
m
0
l
November 22, 2009 12:22:23 PM

I'm going to buy one because I have a small penis. :lol: 
m
0
l
November 22, 2009 1:32:52 PM

Homeboy2 said:
I'm going to buy one because I have a small penis. :lol: 


Me too, but I don't have the $$$. :cry: 
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 22, 2009 1:39:53 PM

mactronix said:
What would be a hoot is if the whole forum suddenly stsrted using it :lol: 

Mactronix

yeah it's really bad for me because I identify people by their avatar first. Only certain people's username stays in the old noggin
m
0
l
November 22, 2009 5:21:45 PM

Judging by many reviews, it would be overkill for 24 inch or 1920x1200. This card plays many games and broke 150fps.
At the moment my 4870 1GB serves me well, it broke 60fps for the most of the time when played Modern Warfare 2 maxed out @ 1920x1200.

and 500 euros for a card is way way too much. Not worth it.. 60-70fps on many games is all i need..


My next upgrade would probably be the seccessor to GTX280 or 5870, depends on the price the Nvidia art of course. But right now 5870 @ 299 euros is really tempting. Maybe next January :) 
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 22, 2009 5:39:11 PM

Could just buy viagra and a 5870 and play the games twice
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 22, 2009 5:47:18 PM

TheGreatGrapeApe said:
The Same reason I bought a Grand Caravan instead of a regular Caravan, chicks dig the extra length !!


The 5970 won't fit in my computer case, just like how a Grand Caravan won't fit in my garage... =(
m
0
l
November 22, 2009 8:01:35 PM

I got the 5970 a few days ago. I asked my girlfriend for a 5870 for my birthday, but she got me the 5970, and when I asked why she replied, "I want you to have the best!"

So of course the next day I went to Fry's and bought components for a new rig:
1. Intel Core i7-920
2. Patriot DDR3 6GB 1333MHz Tri Channel
3. Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
4. Corsair CMPSU-650TX- 650W
5. WD 750GB Serial ATA/300HD, 32 MB buffer
6. Cooler Master HAF 932
7. Lite-On 24X SATA DVD-RW Gen II
8. Netgear WG311 G PCI 54 Mbps Wireless-G PCI Adapter
9. Windows 7 Home Premium
10. Viewsonic vx2433 24" Widescreen LCD Full 1080p, 1920 x 1080 Resolution
11. Razer Lycosa Mirror Edition Keyboard
12. Logitech G500 Gaming Mouse

By myself, I could never have justified paying ~$700 for a 5970 when a $380 5870 would have sufficed, but since I received it as a birthday present, I couldn't just buy computer components that would hold the graphics card back, right? :) 
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 22, 2009 8:06:38 PM

ckim2116 said:
I got the 5970 a few days ago. I asked my girlfriend for a 5870 for my birthday, but she got me the 5970, and when I asked why she replied, "I want you to have the best!"

So of course the next day I went to Fry's and bought components for a new rig:
1. Intel Core i7-920
2. Patriot DDR3 6GB 1333MHz Tri Channel
3. Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
4. Corsair CMPSU-650TX- 650W
5. WD 750GB Serial ATA/300HD, 32 MB buffer
6. Cooler Master HAF 932
7. Lite-On 24X SATA DVD-RW Gen II
8. Netgear WG311 G PCI 54 Mbps Wireless-G PCI Adapter
9. Windows 7 Home Premium
10. Viewsonic vx2433 24" Widescreen LCD Full 1080p, 1920 x 1080 Resolution
11. Razer Lycosa Mirror Edition Keyboard
12. Logitech G500 Gaming Mouse

By myself, I could never have justified paying ~$700 for a 5970 when a $380 5870 would have sufficed, but since I received it as a birthday present, I couldn't just buy computer components that would hold the graphics card back, right? :) 


You lucky SOB...where the hell did you find a girlfriend like that...
m
0
l
a c 130 U Graphics card
November 22, 2009 8:24:23 PM

Sod that Bluescreendeath are you mental :pt1cable:  :ouch:  :pt1cable: 
Why didnt you ask the only question there can possably be ????

:hello:  :hello:  DOES SHE HAVE A SISTER :hello:  :hello: 

Mactronix
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 22, 2009 8:27:14 PM

mactronix said:
Sod that Bluescreendeath are you mental :pt1cable:  :ouch:  :pt1cable: 
Why didnt you ask the only question there can possably be ????

:hello:  :hello:  DOES SHE HAVE A SISTER :hello:  :hello: 

Mactronix


I stand corrected! XD

Does she have a sister, or hell, show me her family tree!
m
0
l
November 22, 2009 9:27:34 PM

Hm... she has a brother that's a freshman in high school but :non: 
m
0
l
November 23, 2009 12:57:20 AM

I have not decided whether I am picking up 3 5870's pr 2 5970's as of yet. It is pretty extreme but I do not care.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 23, 2009 12:50:38 PM

Bluescreendeath said:
I stand corrected! XD

Does she have a sister, or hell, show me her family tree!


Forget the questions about a sister (or a brother for those of you on the othe team)!

She gave you the best card for your b-day. What did you give her that made her so crazy she went out and got you the 5970? I might try the same thing with a friend!
m
0
l
a c 130 U Graphics card
November 23, 2009 1:20:41 PM

hundredislandsboy said:
Forget the questions about a sister (or a brother for those of you on the othe team)!

She gave you the best card for your b-day. What did you give her that made her so crazy she went out and got you the 5970? I might try the same thing with a friend!



I vote it was his credit card :D 

Alright thats enough of that now sorry ckim2116, couldnt resist it. Your one lucky guy.

Mactronix
m
0
l
November 23, 2009 2:47:22 PM

If I'm rich I would have no problem buying it...work hard play hard!

With the current economy my income only justify me to buy the 5850. ;-(
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 23, 2009 9:32:09 PM

Was busy for the weekend so no reply on this ...

Shadow703793 said:
^Yes, but this is OctoSLI :p 


Actually Shadow, that's still Quad SLI, they are GTX285 not GTX295. :hello: 

So stil better to do the QuadFire.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 23, 2009 10:45:48 PM

rodney_ws said:
I have a confession to make... I HAVE paid $600 for a video card once... right when the 7800 GTX came out it was $600... and I paid that price. I wanted to be able to play Oblivion damnit! (for the youngsters... Oblivion was the game that punished video cards before Crysis came on the scene) Although I'm FAR from wealthy, I have lived a relatively simple/easy life... my electric bill was $36 this month... I have a rent-free lake front cabin in a crime-free area... I go to work on time every day... I pay my taxes... and well, I guess sometimes you just like to treat yourself to the nicest thing available. From a value point of view, buying a $600 makes ABSOLUTELY no sense (I'm excluding professionals when I say that) I doubt I'll do that again though. I guess everyone wants to feel on top... if only for a second... and if only for something as trivial as GPU bragging rights.

Now I aim for $200-$300 for a GPU and around that same price for a CPU... the price increases exponentially after that, but the performance goes up in a more linear fashion. i5-750 + ATI 5850 = Good enough for me :) 


Great post! I paid $375 for a NV 5950 Ultra AGP, then $420 for a 7800GT when they were on top. I still have these and use them installed in older systems I have running from time to time. Yeah, $795 for bragging rights. My latest purchase regarding VC's was a PCI interface 8400GS for $40 after rebate. FS too. :) 
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 23, 2009 11:19:06 PM

If I have some extra cash laying around sure why not, but I just bought the 5850 and I plan to xfire that so I am positive that I will get the same performance from those 2 cards.
m
0
l
November 24, 2009 12:14:29 AM

Seriously the time to buy is now. LCD technology will catch up to GPU technology in about 4 years. So you figure in inflation and you are way ahead!

Either that or LED screens will need the dual GPUs so that they can run NORAD circa 1990 from your desktop pc!

And yes chicks dig longer hardware.
m
0
l
!