Sign in with
Your question

New Build -- No POST, no video, no beeps, but fans are spinning

Last response: in Systems
November 16, 2009 1:44:58 AM

Hey all,

Just got the components for my new rig and after everything is hooked up and powered on, I get LED lights on, fans (CPU, GPU, and case) are on with the HDD making appropriate noises. However, I get nothing on my monitor, and no beeps at all. I stripped it all down and just had the CPU/HSF with MB and still no beeps though fans are still running. Adding peripherals in and out doesn't change anything. I've switched around the RAM, cleared the CMOS with jumpers and removing the battery, and removed the reset cables. I have never gotten anything to show up on the monitor. I've been working on this all day with no success. Unfortunately, I don't have necessary spare parts to switch the CPU or plug the existing CPU into a different MB. I really don't want to have to RMA this stuff back to Newegg, but I'm afraid I might. Any thoughts??

Current setup:
ASUS AMD 790X/SB750 (new)
AMD Phenom II X4 945 (new)
ATI Radeon 5770 1GB DDR5 (new)
4GB OCZ PC-1800 DDR3 RAM (new)
Corsair TX 850W PSU (new)
Western Digital 1TB HDD (from my old system, not reformatted)
19" flat panel Dell monitor (worked just fine yesterday)

I appreciate everyone's advice. Thanks.
November 16, 2009 1:55:06 AM

Place just the component for POST outside casing and jump start by shotting the PWR +/- headers on mobo. Try with just the one stick of RAM, check your connection from PSU in order including the PCIe connectors for GPU and play with the master/slave slot for GPU

Edit: Check if your RAMs are compatible with board
November 16, 2009 2:20:21 AM

Thanks for the reply. I tried starting the MB outside the case as suggested, but still no beeps ever. I have tried adjusting both sticks of RAM in various slots and I've adjusted the GPU into the different PCIe slots without success.

The RAM and MB are compatible according to Newegg and other users who have posted their rig specs.
Related resources
November 16, 2009 2:37:35 AM

You need to go through every step in the READ before posting about boot problems! sticky at the top of the forum. #2 on the list is by far the most common mistake. It's important to go through every step to fully troubleshoot the problem.
November 16, 2009 3:14:42 AM

shortstuff_mt said:
You need to go through every step in the READ before posting about boot problems! sticky at the top of the forum. #2 on the list is by far the most common mistake. It's important to go through every step to fully troubleshoot the problem.

I read that thread before and have reread it a few times. I made sure the 4-pin power supply was connected adjacent to the CPU (an earlier mistake) and still no beeps and nothing on the monitor.

How many standoffs should I be installing prior to seating the MB? My case/MB only came with 3 though the seat for the MB has raised bumps where the screw holes are presumably so the MB doesn't touch any other part of the case. I have the standoffs towards the "front" of the case, right near the hard drive. When I took it out of the case to boot, it didn't seem to change anything.

Other posts on this site mention that if there are no beeps at all (i.e. not RAM, VGA, or keyboard problem), then the problem must be isolated to the MB or the CPU.

Is there a way that I can tell if it's the motherboard vs. the CPU that's the issue?

Thanks.
November 16, 2009 3:36:42 AM

Do you have a system speaker installed? I don't believe your motherboard comes with one.
November 16, 2009 3:55:13 AM

shortstuff_mt said:
Do you have a system speaker installed? I don't believe your motherboard comes with one.

I don't know, to be honest. I couldn't figure out where the speaker was though the MB owner's manual has a page dedicated to the meaning of various beeping patterns, so I assumed there was one.
November 16, 2009 11:53:35 AM

Ordered a MB speaker this morning.

Since I have no video and if I assume that there is no MB speaker, adding a speaker to get POST beeps will really only tell me if my RAM is bad, correct? I have tried each RAM stick indiviually in each slot to no avail.

Will adding a speaker tell me anything more than bad RAM at this point in my troubleshooting?
November 16, 2009 12:40:36 PM

Yes, the beep codes make all the difference when trying to troubleshoot a problem. It can tell you if there is a power problem to the GPU, etc... It's very hard to troubleshoot your problem without a system speaker.

Are you sure the 6-pin power connector is firmly plugged into your GPU?
November 16, 2009 1:29:02 PM

Ok, then I'm glad I ordered it.

Yes, I've made sure the 6-pin power supply is very firmly plugged into the GPU. The GPU fans will spin when the computer is powered on.
November 17, 2009 7:10:08 PM

I was able to get a hold of a motherboard speaker on my way home from work today. Installed it, rechecked ALL power connections, and tried to boot using a combination of each RAM stick in every slot and still nothing. Nothing on the screen, no beeps, no POST. Argh...

Does this narrow down my problem to the CPU vs. the MB? Is there anything else I can do or should I start down the RMA path?

I appreciate any advice.
December 5, 2011 2:12:55 AM

I have the same problem now. Did you resolve your problem by the way?

monkeybaronjr said:
I was able to get a hold of a motherboard speaker on my way home from work today. Installed it, rechecked ALL power connections, and tried to boot using a combination of each RAM stick in every slot and still nothing. Nothing on the screen, no beeps, no POST. Argh...

Does this narrow down my problem to the CPU vs. the MB? Is there anything else I can do or should I start down the RMA path?

I appreciate any advice.

April 3, 2014 9:18:08 PM

My computer at the moment is doing the same thing Fans moving but no Signal no Beeps (which for my computer i believe 1 beep means everything working good)
If anyone has solved this would love to know
!