Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Problem with ga-x58a-ud3r and hard drive

Last response: in Motherboards
May 20, 2010 5:21:24 PM

I having problems with my ga-x58a-ud3r and a seagate hard drive sata of 250 gb, the thing is that when windows(win 7 64bits )start loading, the hard drive start making weird noise and then it make a sound of stoping, and like 2 minutes later it start again, and some times windows load and sometimes not, did someone had this problem???

Thanks
a c 177 V Motherboard
May 20, 2010 8:29:39 PM

Sounds like the drive is bad - try opening a commanp prompt, and typing 'chkdsk c:' (no quotes), press <Enter>, and see what it tells you...
m
l
May 20, 2010 10:51:29 PM

well is more like that the system start reading and then it stop, i already did the scan for bad sectors and the hdd is in good condition, I thing is something with the bios or the driver...
m
l
Related resources
a c 177 V Motherboard
May 20, 2010 11:36:21 PM

Might try a look here: http://dellfirmware.seagate.com/dell_firmware/DellFirmw...

... note the pointer to the Seagate site; be carefull - check your drive according to Seagate procedure - attempt to update firmware on incorrect models is known to make them inoperable!
m
l
May 21, 2010 12:36:27 AM

bilbat said:
Might try a look here: http://dellfirmware.seagate.com/dell_firmware/DellFirmw...

... note the pointer to the Seagate site; be carefull - check your drive according to Seagate procedure - attempt to update firmware on incorrect models is known to make them inoperable!

Thanks bilbat, I will try it tonight, I keep you inform
m
l
May 24, 2010 4:53:55 PM

I search for firmware updates, but theres no update, so I download seatools and I ran some test, and my hdd is in bad condition, so I bought a new one, this time a western digital and guest what happend, the same problem, I thing is something in the motherboard, maybe some bios config....
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
May 24, 2010 5:02:00 PM

I'm starting to wonder if you have some kind of power problem - how is the drive itself supplied? SATA connector directly from the PSU, modular cable, or MOLEX to SATA power adapter?
m
l
May 24, 2010 5:09:04 PM

I have a corsair 850, and is connected directly from the psu
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
May 24, 2010 5:32:15 PM

Have you tried a different connector from the cable itself - or, if you have one, a connector on a different cable?
m
l
May 24, 2010 5:43:38 PM

I have to try that, what else could it be?
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
May 24, 2010 5:50:37 PM

What MOBO port are you hooked up to? Never have seen a problem with the Intel ICH's; have seen a couple bad jMicrons (GSATA2 ports), and, so far as I can keep track of, the Marvell stuff is just a mess!
m
l
May 24, 2010 5:57:21 PM

Yeah I read about that and hooked up to the intel ones
m
l
May 25, 2010 2:51:05 AM

Try changing your SATA cable and connect your HDD with another power connector.
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
May 27, 2010 2:59:03 PM

Yikes! That sure sounds like a 'sick or dying' hard drive to me! I think first thing to do is download Seagate's SeaTools diagnostic - likey want the DOS one, to run off something other than that drive, and give 'er a 'check-up'... [:bilbat]
m
l
May 27, 2010 3:09:21 PM

I did that and the drive is in bad shape, but when I put my new drive It did the same sound, so I have a question for you, when I first ran my pc I update the bios to F5, is it possible that the bios get a bad flashing? and one more question can I flash the bios again with the same update?

Note: in the first video there is a big sound when I turn to the hdd, that's my chair, that's why I put the second video :??: 
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
May 27, 2010 4:03:11 PM

The odds of a BIOS flash being somehow 'haywire', but still able to run the system are awfully slim, but, anything's possible! And, yes, you can 'reflash' to the same BIOS; but I wouldn't try to flash the same file; download another copy - I 'shot myself in the foot' twice in a row by loading a corrupted file - just could not believe it could be corrupted, and still pass the 'checksum' procedure!!
m
l
May 27, 2010 4:23:29 PM

to update with q-flash, I just have to copy the file X58AUD3R.F5 to a usb flsh drive, right?
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
May 28, 2010 12:15:18 AM

Flash drive must be formatted to FAT-32; on the "Integrated Peripherals" page of the BIOS, "Legacy USB storage detect" (later BIOS say "USB Storage Function")must be set to "Enabled"...
m
l

Best solution

May 28, 2010 3:13:28 PM

Under Advanced CPU settings disable the following:

CPU Enhanced Halt
CPU C3/C6/C7 State Support
May 28, 2010 4:58:52 PM

I flash the bios with the f5 and the same problem, I have to try to disable the cpu enhanced halt option, but I will check the cpu socket, maybe have some bend pins
m
l
May 31, 2010 5:17:47 PM

So I disable the CPU Enhanced Halt and CPU C3/C6/C7 State Support and it work, and I ran the seatools and my hdd is working properly, thanks very much guys
m
l
June 8, 2010 9:16:25 PM

Best answer selected by dumani.
m
l
June 23, 2010 11:40:59 PM

Mattacious said:
Under Advanced CPU settings disable the following:

CPU Enhanced Halt
CPU C3/C6/C7 State Support

this worked for me too.. i would like to know why? how is this related to a HD?
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
June 24, 2010 6:07:05 PM

This is likely (but not necessarily) a memory stability issue, rather than directly an issue with the disk's function itself...

'Enhanced Halt' and the various 'C-state' support, as well as 'EIST', "diddles with" both your clocking and voltage in an effort to make the processor responsive, while keeping its energy consumption to a minimum. So long as you're running all 'stock clocks', and have memory that is inside the Intel 'supported' guidlines (i.e., DDR3-800 and DDR3-1066 for all iCores, DDR3-1333 for some...), these functions should work OK... If you're OC'd at all, anywhere, these functions are a likely source of problems, and should be disabled. It is possible to get them working in conjunction with an overclock, it is just not an easy task, and almost always requires 'slowing down' various things, mostly in your memory parameters, which kind of obviates the whole reason for the OC in the first place...

The reason I qualified with (but not necessarily), is that it is also conceivable, but less likely, that this 'wobbling' of voltages and clocks could be responsible for some kind of difficulty with one or another of the subsidiary busses, to which the controller chips are 'attached'... This is one reason you hardly ever see a 'Spread Spectrum' adjustment in modern MOBOs - the whole idea behind this was to 'wobble' the clocking so as to keep it from being a 'steady source', 'beacon' of RF interference - but at today's ungodly clock speeds, that has been abandoned as it induces its own instabilities!
m
l
!