Sign in with
Your question

DIY radbox

Last response: in Overclocking
April 10, 2012 2:19:12 AM

Instead of buying the swiftech radbox, what do you guys think about this?

8 units of M3 40mm(1.6inch) spacer, 2will be attached together making it 80mm(3.2inch) spacer.

male end of spacer is rotated into the radiator M3 threads, female part has screw from inside the case through a internal case fan(just as picture).

I will install a 360 45mm thick radiator, will it hold the weight?
it is airplex XT 360, I don't know the weight but seems like a similar radiator is 1.8kg?

Pic below uses long screws which I don't have, I would be using 35mm M3 screws through fan into spacer female part.

More about : diy radbox

a b K Overclocking
April 10, 2012 5:51:53 AM

use the biggest washers that you can, where the case side screws will be going, to prevent the case plate from flexing as much as possible otherwise it might work
April 10, 2012 6:55:27 AM

What's the Gap between the Rad and the back of the PC? I would want some friction help in keeping that on my PC... IF you can fit a Fan between the Rad and the Case, then use some threaded screws such as you've shown to compress the Radiator to the Fan, and the Fan to the case. I know there are some Extra thick Fans.. I have 2 myself.. their 37mm thick...

I agree with the idea of the washers... Definitly help to add some ridgidity to the case wall.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
April 10, 2012 7:22:31 AM

toolmaker_03 said:
use the biggest washers that you can, where the case side screws will be going, to prevent the case plate from flexing as much as possible otherwise it might work

I will definitively put metal washer between case and the female part of M3 spacer, as for the washer the place where I ordered from only had one size for M3 washers, I think it's around 7mm in diameter, so I't not wery big.

dadof1hunter said:
What's the Gap between the Rad and the back of the PC? I would want some friction help in keeping that on my PC... IF you can fit a Fan between the Rad and the Case, then use some threaded screws such as you've shown to compress the Radiator to the Fan, and the Fan to the case. I know there are some Extra thick Fans.. I have 2 myself.. their 37mm thick...

I agree with the idea of the washers... Definitly help to add some ridgidity to the case wall.

The gap between PC and rad should be 65mm having 2 spacers attached to each other.
If I wanted to increase the gap I could add washers and nuts but I'm a bit worried that would make the M3 spacer break?

I'm not entirely sure I follow what you mean, I think you mean having a thick fan between the case and the radiator as spacer in addition to the M3 spacers?

I think having external fan also as spacer adds additional screws and puts pressure on the fan which usually is plastic and could break?
a c 324 K Overclocking
April 10, 2012 2:13:03 PM

The idea of using a spacer has been mentioned a lot on here, but perhaps you could put some ideas together on different concepts of how to do this? I've personally used some narrow PVC tubing and long screws, as well as long screws and nuts for off-setting radiators. This would be a good addition to the sticky if we can get several ideas together with some great details and perhaps some images?
April 10, 2012 6:38:53 PM

rubix_1011 said:
The idea of using a spacer has been mentioned a lot on here, but perhaps you could put some ideas together on different concepts of how to do this? I've personally used some narrow PVC tubing and long screws, as well as long screws and nuts for off-setting radiators. This would be a good addition to the sticky if we can get several ideas together with some great details and perhaps some images?

Yes I think having sticky with methods of DIY radbox would be awesome :) 

The worry I have with my setup is that attaching 2x spacers together maybe will break from weight?

So do you think my idea should work?
I just recieved the radiator so I can now measure it's weight, obviously I need to also add water and fans to the weight.

When you say off-setting radiators with long screws and nuts what do you mean, english is not my first language.

The narrow PVC is a nice idea but I think I will need the more spacing between case and rad so I would attach 2x M3 40mm (so total 8x M3 40mm and should give me about 70mm space from case to rad.).
April 10, 2012 6:42:13 PM

Oh I forgot, looks like in the picture that I posted the user has taking a long 1 meter M3 or M4 thread and saw it into maybe 15cm bolts, this I think is also ok if the 1 meter thread has high quality so it does not break from weight.

I would do ^^^^^^^ the above If I had proper tool to cut the 1 meter M3 thread, but I have a cheap dremel copy I don't think it can do that, maybe with better cutting bit.
a c 190 K Overclocking
April 10, 2012 7:21:22 PM

Use a hacksaw to cut threaded rod, put two nuts close to each other near the measured cut, and saw through between them, that way you can re-thread the rod when you remove the nuts :) 
Moto
a c 324 K Overclocking
April 10, 2012 8:09:53 PM

There are easily 3-4 ways to do this vs. an actual Radbox, but Radbox is simpler for new users since it already has been thought out and done.

For example, this is how I currently have my rads mounted on the side of my build:

a b K Overclocking
April 10, 2012 8:27:33 PM

There is no way those bolts break. You are orders of magnitude away from breaking those bolts. They could probably hold 100kg and your only going to be putting 2-3 on them.
a c 76 K Overclocking
April 10, 2012 8:30:39 PM

you don't break bolts, you cut them - I've done them for my build and they are accurate to a few mm's as well.

The issue which rubix addressed before was that cutting or breaking bolts/screws damages the threading on a screw. a screw cutter can easily deal with the damaged thread by cutting back the groove.
a c 324 K Overclocking
April 10, 2012 8:33:18 PM

This feels like deja-vu...
a c 76 K Overclocking
April 10, 2012 8:47:55 PM

:lol: 
April 10, 2012 11:02:17 PM

rubix_1011 said:
There are easily 3-4 ways to do this vs. an actual Radbox, but Radbox is simpler for new users since it already has been thought out and done.

For example, this is how I currently have my rads mounted on the side of my build:

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll98/gcarver2006/rad_mount.png

well that's similar to my setup, but I would not have washers inside the case instead of washers have a Fan(that also exhaust air), between case and rad 2x 40mm M3 spacers giving about 70mm spacing and finally a screw through fan -- case -- washer -- M3 spacer.

Then the M3 spacer would be attached to the radiator.

I hope the fan is not noisy from the pressure of radiator?
a c 190 K Overclocking
April 11, 2012 2:37:16 AM

Damn thats messy hehe :-)
Moto
a c 324 K Overclocking
April 11, 2012 2:57:38 AM

It's about time for another DIY case (whatcha-ma-call-it) build...
a c 190 K Overclocking
April 11, 2012 3:29:44 AM

Go steampunk on this one :-)
Moto
a c 324 K Overclocking
April 11, 2012 3:35:38 AM

I'm considering that or something minimalistic and compact...like my own combo version of a MountainMods cube and a Shuttle case.

If I'm going to do steampunk, it's going to be an elaborate build that I will likely work on as a separate project...I have some fantastic ideas that will likely take months to complete with the amount of free time I currently have. Still, a challenge I'd love to attempt. Even some strange desk art that I could conceive would be worth the time. Desk art... :) 

And thus for the cube project, the design planning begins.

a c 76 K Overclocking
April 11, 2012 4:24:26 AM

^ rubix and free time... that must be a good thing right ? :lol: 
a b K Overclocking
April 11, 2012 4:44:13 AM

I'd love to see how that turns out.
!