The Dreaded IRQL_NOT_... Error During XP Installation

tictoc

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2009
Hi folks,

I hit the power button on my first built pc for the first time yesterday, and was elated when it powered up without a hitch and purred like a kitten. Problems? What problems, I said. It was a piece of cake or so I thought. The nightmare came a half an hour later when the system pooped out in the middle of the XP installation caused by the dreaded IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error (0X0000000A (0X00000010, 0X00000002, 0X00000000, 0X805527BC))

The system consists of Azza Solano 1000 case, Intel i5 750 cpu, Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3R motherboard, Gigabyte GV-R467ZL-1GI 4670 gpu, OCZ Obsidian 4GB ram, Corsair CMPSU-850TX psu, and Hitachi Deskstar 2tb drive.

The error occurred about halfway into Installing Devices (after XP installation setup completed downloading files and drivers, disk partitioning and formatting, populating installation folders, and rebooting).

I am now between a rock and a hard place. To test anything including Memtest, I need a functioning os, which I don't have. I can't even flash a new bios since the new version is 2 mb, which is too large for a floppy. Through process of elimination, I have reduced the system down to the motherboard, one stick of RAM, gpu, psu, hard drive, and keyboard. I also disabled on-board USB controller, eSATA controller, parallel port, serial port, and power saving features. Yet, nothing works - one nasty error.

Replacing the ram, gpu, and then the motherboard seems to be my only option left, unless you have any idea. Desperation time, folks. Any input is much appreciated.

orangegator

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
Does the version XP you are installing contain any service packs? I know that the original XP, without service packs can cause bsod during installs on newer motherboards due to lack of drivers. Try slipstreaming service pack 3 onto your install disk and try again.

tictoc

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2009

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I have reloaded the bios with "fail-safe defaults" option (the safest settings), but to no avail.

tictoc

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2009

Thanks for the reply. I have perused the net about the error code and it appears the error covers a wide-range of issues from bad/unsupported drivers to defective/incompatible components. Triggers vary greatly from playing games or running applications to installing, booting, or shutting down os. Microsoft support seems unsure about the best way to diagnose and correct the problem though their responses suggest faulty or incompatible ram as a reasonable cause.

tictoc

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2009

Thanks for the reply. Mine is XP Pro with SP1.