Dieing or dead card?

JerryKK

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
About a week ago, I tried to launch up a game and suddenly the screen went black and the monitor acted like it was in sleep mode, but I could still hear all the sounds of the game. There was no way to fix this so I had to shut off my computer, wait a while, then turn it back on. Yet I still couldn't play ANY games. A day or so after this there was a Vista update, so I updated vista. Still the problem continued. I decided I'd try updating my drivers, so I did, yet still the problem continued. I've come to the conclusion that it's my video card, but I'm not 100% sure.

I tried to run Windows Media Player last night to watch a movie, but it gave me an error message saying I need to update my drivers, yet I have the most up-to-date drivers available. I've had a video card problem in the past, in which I had to get a new card, but this current one is barely a year old and now it seems as if it's broken. Could something else be effecting my video cards? Also, sometimes a nVidia message will pop-up telling me it's "changed display settings to be optimal in most cases".

Also sometimes I'll have the problem when I turn on my computer, and I have to give it a few more tries before it works. So what is the problem? And this problem just started one day, I hadn't downloaded anything, installed any updates or anything at all, I just went to open up a game and BAM, black screen. I've tried googling this and I can't seem to find anyone who has the same exact problem, or no one knows what's wrong.

I am using a Nvidia GeForce 7900 GS.

Benihana

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
Hello. I used to have that same problem, but mine was when I was running 2 cards in SLI. I opted to remove one of the cards and just run the one.

Have you tried to completely delete all nVidia drivers? That's what I'd try. Delete the old drivers completely, when the system reboots let it install the default windows drivers. Then go to the nVidia page and download the latest (191.07 I believe) and see if that helps.

I recently got black screens when my games were running in too high of a resolution. I could hear the sound, but the screen would be "sleeping." But that was just a handful of games, it seems your problem is going on all games.

JerryKK

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
So, I tried to uninstall my drivers, and when the installation began, the screen turned black as it would when I try to play a game. When my computer came back on, it said that my "Nvidia GeForce 7900 GS has been successfully installed".

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
Yes you really need to be certain that your drivers are completely removed/cleaned out and to even shutoff your comp 1 or 2 [shutoff redoos ???,,:),, a complete update of total system settings],,then go to::::http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads15.html,,,,,
and grab a couple of free registry cleabers and follow the instructions,,if this fails ,,then consider a failing video card [try it in another comp???],,or even your psu,also check for too much heat/dust anywhere in system...Also check ALL data and power connections in case....:)