Question about Northbridge

Hi.I'm a newbie here so my apologies if I'm posting in a wrong category.
This is my rig:
CPU:AMD Phenom II X4 840@3.2ghz stock(Propus core)
MB:AsRock M3A UCC(480x chipset)
RAM:Kingston HyperX blu 9-9-9-24@1600mhz@1.7v 1 stick of 4GB
GPU:VTX3D Radeon HD5750 1GB DDR5
Right now I've been running Prime95 for about half an hour.I'm running the blend test and my temps for all my cores are around 52-54C.My northbridge is running at 1600mhz and i can increase it through the bios up to 2000mhz.As far as I know,overclocking the NB won't hurt my Motherboard as the memory controller is on the CPU die so my question is can I increase the NB if my temps don't get too high and if it's stable after say 3hours of Prime95?My current NB voltage in bios is 1.247v(the lowest possible).
6 answers Last reply
More about question northbridge
  1. You still need to monitor the Northbridge temps. Even though the cpu has an onboard memory controller, the northbridge is still the connection point between the cpu,ram, pci-e so overclocking any of those will result in increased load on the northridge chip.
  2. Thanks for the reply.I've been running it for the last 2 days at 2000mhz after testing it with prime95 blend for 2 hours.No problem whatsoever but i can't really monitor my northbridge.Hwmonitor gives me a motherboard temperature of 29-30 C for both nb speeds and so does my BIOS.Anyway my ambient temp is about 20C(can go up to 28 in the summer) and i have a well ventilated case with 2 12cm intake fans on the side(blowing on the cpu,nb and gpu) and 2 exhaust fans on the rear:1 12cm from my PSU and one DIY 8mm from an old broken psu.Is it okay if i put my thumb on the nb heatsink while my pc is running to check if it's hot?or maybe a thermometer? :).
  3. pcprobe will give you a break down of voltages including just the northbridge
  4. I've tried installing pcprobe but it tells me that it only supports ASUS motherboards. :(
  5. Oh sorry. I really didn't know that. Thought it would work on any motherboard.
  6. Still it seems to be running fairly ok.No BSoD's and no lockups.Also,the temps are only 1-2C more under load and I even managed to overclock my gpu a bit more than when I had my NB art 1600mhz which means that it's more stable at 2000mhz.Also here:http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=596023],under section northbridge it says that i'm running at the right NB frequency to my cpu clock(3200mhz).
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Overclocking