Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Building a rig to run Crysis on Very high. Need advice

Last response: in Systems
November 16, 2009 4:06:34 AM

Hi everybody, first post here and it has been a few years since I have been real good with the PC scene, my rig was so outdated that I couldn't run any of the new games so I abandoned my beloved PC for the 360 for quite some time. I am looking to change that very soon.

My question is simple.

What specs are required to run Crysis on its highest settings on a pretty decent widescreen resolution for preferably around $1000? (I know this may not even be possible, but I have heard the prices have gone down drastically,so i'm prayin)

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated as I am a bit lost in all the new dual cores and SLI's and all of this. I was good for anything hardware PC related back when the Radeon 9800XT was the top of the line. So it's been a while.

Short and simple if you do not want to read the above

Hardware that could run Crysis on max settings, 1680x1050 (or so), w/ 4x AA and 8x AF. I'm planning on building it myself but am a bit lost at the moment. Any advice, much appreciated. Go! :wahoo:  Thanks in advance.

P.s. - sorry for double post, my first was in the wrong section

EDIT: Realized my first post was a bit general so here is the proper way hopefully it's easier to read.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: End of December

BUDGET RANGE: Around $1000

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Solely for Crysis, I figure if I can get Crysis down I will be able to handle anything else that comes in the next couple years anyway

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard, mouse, monitor

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Cheapest! I have a microcenter near me, I hear it is a good/cheap place to build a computer

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: United States

PARTS PREFERENCES: Leaning towards an Nvidia GPU

OVERCLOCKING: Yes \\\\ SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1680x1050
November 16, 2009 4:41:55 AM

Well if you are going for a sli/crossfire setup I recommend a i7 920 system with a gigabyte x58 mobo and overclock that puppy like the pros. You may be braking your price range with that rig though.

I personally would get a i5 750 single card GPU setup.. But running crysis on max reso is asking alot. You better get one of the 500$ graphics cards and you MAY be able to run it full settings at playable fps.

i7 X58 mobo is better for sli but you are gonna spend alot more money.

i5 750 is a 200$ processor and 99$ mobo that will regularly smack down the most expensive cpus on a single GPU setup.

I always go single card setup because its less hassle. You can get some smoking deals with a dual GPU setup I admit, but you gotta throw those things out every few years anyway. I buy last years best for 200$ and buy a new one in a few years better than this years 500$ model, but thats just me.

Just bought a GTX 260 that runs all my games (including crysis) at 1680x1050 medium to max settings with ease. Why should I spend more?

Crysis is overrated, lots of hackers on multiplayer, and there are better multiplayer fps games to be had out there. I think its a fun game with a fun concept don't get me wrong, but the multiplayer sucks.

And the single player is worse. The AI is horrible and the ending is worse that games on my old dead super nintendo. In fact I will never buy another crysis series game as a result of that :D 
Score
Related resources
November 16, 2009 6:36:37 AM

what game (fps) do you suggest ? one better than crysis ?
Score
November 16, 2009 6:39:02 AM

If you dont mind stepping back to the old LGA775 intel's, you can pick up the 45nm cpu's on newegg for pretty cheap now. a good board with a Q9650, 4gb of RAM, and a GTX 275 or a HD4890 would easily fit that budget...
its a tough time to do this right now though, if the project is in a few months expect even lower prices as soon as the GTX 300 series hits shelves, DX10 cards will be dropping in price real fast then.

The crysis target is a difficult one to hit for the price. I have a strong 'affordable' pc right now, and I play at 1920x1080... It hits the very high settings, but not with no AA on.
Score
November 16, 2009 7:19:45 AM

a 5870 is all that it takes. Of course, coupled with a quad core of your choice, you have a decent gaming rig there brother. Not to mention that at your resolution, the 5870 can last you around 2-3 years (just a guess).
Score
November 17, 2009 5:27:32 AM

Don't go with a core2quad system.. i5 is the best way to go unless you go the bucks to drop on a i7 920 overclocked with sli/crossfire

If you have done extensive research you would know that the i7 x58 mobo that has 2x PCI-E 16GB/S is the only thing faster than a overclocked i5 single card system. The p55 mobo has the BEST architecture for a single GPU, despite its low pricetag. Proof is in the fps.

You would be really losing to buy a C2Quad system at the current i5 prices. Go i5 and buy a high end graphics card if you want. I personally would buy a i5 system and buy a gtx260 or radeon 4890 for under 200$. Have you compared the framerates of those cards on very high settings? Then you could save the 300$ you would spend on a 5870, and buy a card much better than a 5870 for that 300$ in a couple years, but thats coming from a gamer who is not made of money :) 
Score
November 17, 2009 5:34:46 AM

And if you want a great single player experience FPS try red faction:guerilla if you like blowing stuff up its the best. Or Call Of Duty 4 (which has pretty good multiplayer also).

Modern Warfare 2 is probably an awesome game. But the multiplayer sucks its peer 2 peer. I am one of the PC gamers who have decided to boycott the developer for chincing the PC market. Selling less than premium product for more than premium price. They didn't want to make a good game a great game for the PC, but they had the gal to put a 59$ sticker on it.

Another fun game is americas army 3, which is a free game but kinda buggy. Its worth a try for the price :) 

One of my other favs is Half Life : 2. Orange box is alot of fun for the money.
Score
November 24, 2009 4:47:37 AM

1898 said:
Yea, it's a rather tight budget for such high aims.

CPU/Mobo/Gcard/RAM is already around 1'000$.
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx...
$954.96

i5
$865.96

I think both system would satisfy your demands by a narrow margin. Though, you can add a second 5870 later on once the prices have come down a bit. http://geekdictionary.computing.net/define/crossfirex

Thanks Android, 18, Jack and anyone else I missed... much appreciated. That's a very good starting point and gave me a lot to think about was a bit lost w/ the new tech and all... didn't know whether I needed a dual core of quad core or if SLI was needed or not. I still have a lot to think about, but this is very helpful.

I had no idea you could get CPU/mobo/Gcard/RAM for under $1000, well i'm sure you could but not that good of hardware. That beats my macbook pro here 10x hah.

If I may, what else would I need besides CPU/mobo/Gcard/RAM? Just a case and cooling? What do you all think about water cooling... is it worth it?

Also, any thing to say about Microcenter? That is what I was planning on, but if the internet is gonna be a lot cheaper i'll get it from there.

Thanks!

O, and about Crysis... the only reason I want to play it is for the graphics. I've played every other fps you have mentioned there Android, all of which are probably better than Crysis gameplay wise, but you can't top the Crysis graphics. I've been itchin to see it in it's full glory for years now, if the $1000 price barrier has to be breached it will.
Score
November 24, 2009 4:53:07 AM

One more question,

I have heard mixed things about non-Nvidia or non-Radeon graphics cards. Such as Sapphire or any of the other 3rd party companies, but the 3rd party companies sell these cards for MUCH cheaper than the mother company. What are your thoughts on the 3rd party graphics cards, such as Sapphire, as opposed to the Nvidia made version?

EDIT: realized I missed the Hard drive for my question on what else I need. So I got CPU/mobo/Gcard/RAM/Case/Cooling/Harddrive. Anything missing?
Score
November 24, 2009 9:21:13 AM

• Intel Core i5-750
  • COOLER MASTER Hyper 212
  • GIGABYTE GA-P55-UD4P
  • HIS H587F1GDG Radeon HD 5870
  • G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600
  • SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 1TB
  • LITE-ON Black 24X DVD Writer
  • CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W
    $1,132.91

This would be my suggestion.
    Do you actually need the DVD/CD Burner? What about Blu-Ray?

What you still need though is a case. Now, make sure the heatsink as well as the graphics card will fit into it.
    Score
    November 24, 2009 8:05:29 PM

You can't buy a Nvidia brand graphcis card, you can buy a Nvidia card with Nvidia chipsets made by other companies... So not sure what you asking about there. I recommend a brand like EVGA or someone with a lifetime warranty from a reputable company that will answer the phone if you have a problem.

And as for water cooling... For strictly gaming purposes you can get a quad core processor over 3.5 ghz on air. You won't need a faster processor than that. If you get the 200$ i5 to 3.6 ghz which is pretty easy to do with a good mobo, you don't need water cooling.

Get a good case like the Antec 900, there are plenty good ones out there, but make sure to get one with good airflow. Check some reviews before you buy.

If you don't know what parts you need to buy to build a computer, you better do some serious research before you buy.. And don't forget the arctic silver 5 thermal paste!

You can't count on us responding to this thread to answer all your questions.. Look around the build your own forums, overclocking forums etc. You need to educate yourself thoroughly before you go to buy anything! Otherwise we are going to leave something out we think to be common knowledge, and you have the potential to build something that won't work~
    Score
    December 11, 2009 9:53:23 PM

1898 said:
  • Intel Core i5-750
  • COOLER MASTER Hyper 212
  • GIGABYTE GA-P55-UD4P
  • HIS H587F1GDG Radeon HD 5870
  • G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600
  • SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 1TB
  • LITE-ON Black 24X DVD Writer
  • CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W
    $1,132.91

This would be my suggestion.
    Do you actually need the DVD/CD Burner? What about Blu-Ray?

What you still need though is a case. Now, make sure the heatsink as well as the graphics card will fit into it.

• Well, I have to say 1898. You hit it on the mark. I have been doing some research and took a trip to the local Microcenter (definitely overrated) and took a look around.

Been doing some more research on which graphics card and cpu to get. After looking at some benchmarks of the i5-750 vs. some of the i7's I have to say that the i5 is damn powerful for only $199, and the extra $80 something bucks for the i7-860 really isn't worth it, and apparently it heats up a lot quicker and has less OCing potential. So, the i5 is really a no-brainer.

Now, the GPU was even easier as my budget is at/around $1500 give or take some, I have a little financial assistance on this one you could say :ange:  . I had decided on the Radeon 5870, "the single fastest graphics card to date," and all that hype but the proof is in the benchmarks. Looks to blow crysis away even with 4x AA and 16x AF. Having the DirectX11 is nice too for the future, and being able to play in DX10 mode on some of those games I haven't been able to yet will be great.

Then I came back on here for an update, and woila, you had my setup laid out already, LOL.

I'll keep the rest of this short and simple.

1. This will be my first time building my own computer (I am continuing to research as I type this) ... so, any advice would be great for a noob

2. Adroid, you recommended the Antec 900 for the case, looks great, I assume it will fit the Radeon 5870?

3. Radeon 5870 OUT OF STOCK. I will have to look elsewhere, I just hope when I do find it, it is still available in a couple weeks.

4. I need to buy a monitor, Radeon HD 5870 requires a hd monitor. I currently have a decent, non-widescreen, max/native resolution 1280x1024. Good monitors?!

5. 1898, when you said all that I need now is a case, does that mean everything you laid out on the wishlist is indeed EVERYTHING I need, (excluding the arctic 5 thermal paste.) A simple yes or no would suffice if you don't want to go into detail, if there is a lot more that I need to get such as network interface cards and whatnot, like I said i'm still researching so cut my some slack heh.

Finally, (hope the post in readable,) and THANKS much for all the help this has been a great, great help.
    Score
    December 11, 2009 11:02:38 PM

Glad you came to the same conclusion.
    I just rechecked my suggestion and it still seems to be the best bang for the buck. ;) 

2) It seems to fit. Have a read here
    3) Seems to be available right now. Click me
    4) You don't need a HD capable monitor but it would be a good idea because it wouldn't make much sense to run this baby on such a resolution. Honestly, there are a lots of good monitors, it depends on how much you are willing to spend and your taste. Generally, LCDs from Asus, Samsung, Benq, HP etc. are all good brands.
    5) Yes, unless I've forgotten something. :D  I am sure someone would have pointed that out already though.
    You don't need a network card nor a sound card for example, these things are integrated in the motherboard nor do you really need the thermal paste since you get one with the hyper 212.

Score
    December 12, 2009 12:25:49 AM

There isn't much more to say. Well, I am building a computer for the first time so a bit scary, but I have heard it is not as bad as it looks. I'm good with computers once they are running, not so much experience on the other end. I figure with some google searching I can find a good guide on how to put together a computer.

As far as the monitor goes, i'm always a bit hesitant on the cheap monitors. Since I am throwing down all this cash for a good computer to run Crysis, very pretty game from what I saw of it on my 50" Panasonic hdtv, in slide show mode that is. I want the hardware to pay its dues on the eyes.

That said, the monitor you linked OvrClkr doesn't look bad. Have you seen it in action before? I ask because I have never used or even heard of the Hanns brand. I've had some CRT prior to this Samsung Syncmaster 915N which has served me quite well for 7+ years, but I think it's time to step up to the HD realm on the PC side, my xbox 360 has seen its fair share on the 50" plasma, but HD Crysis on the PC is gonna blow my mind :)  haha.

Sorry, I get sidetracked easily. I nerd out when it comes to good graphics on the PC... tried to play Oblivion recently on this rig with mods, damn was it pretty, but it lagged too hard. Sidetracking again.
    ---------

Another short and simple deal here. Much shorter this time however.

1. Thanks

2. Any other recommendations on good gaming monitors?
    ^^ I've been looking online for some top gaming monitors 2009, or something similar, to no avail. I guess I thought there was a end-all crystal clear monitor out there that topped all kind of like the 5870 (reasonable $$) is to the GPU world.

3. Antec 900, stupid question I think, but, does it come with fans for cooling?

4. 1898, Samsung 1TB hard-drive is sold out (that is fine, I will just find it on another site). But, a bit more of a problem, maybe, the i5 compatible CPU cooler is sold out as well? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

^^ Bare with me here, is this just a fan? Looks like a fan and some type of cooling device for the CPU?

5. Do I need to purchase more cooling for this baby or is she good to go?

6. 1898, O yeah, and I don't think I answered your question from before.. not planning on watching blu-ray on the computer.

I was just checking the list again. Is that a 1TB Hd?! Holy ****!
    Score
    December 12, 2009 12:34:47 AM

I just got the monitor yesterday for a customer build and to be honest it looks as good or better than a few other screens that cost a bit more. No bleeding on the edges, vibrant colors and just an overall great screen specially considering the cost.

The Antec 900 comes with 4 fans and there is room for one more (side-panel) which is sold separately....
    Score
    December 12, 2009 1:36:31 AM

1) You are welcome :) 

2) http://www.prad.de/en/index.html Lots of information.
    In all honesty, I wouldn't buy the Hannes. I think I've read somewhere that his big brother seems to fail after a few months/year.
    I myself am trying to come to a conclusion which monitor I should buy but haven't made a decision yet. It's probably either the BENQ G2420HD or the BENQ V2400 Eco resp. V24100. The former is a good and cheap monitor while the latter has LED backlights and doesn't look as boring as most monitors on the market today.

4) They should be back in stock on the 15th. The CPU cooler comes with a heatsink and a fan, that's all you need.

5) Not really no.

6) I see. I actually meant HD resolution. Because your system is overkill on 1280x1024.
    Score
    December 12, 2009 2:24:44 AM

I don't know enough to help you with your build, but I noticed you said you have a Microcenter near you. The i5 costs $149.99 at the store. You have to go to the store to get it for that price. Good luck on your build.
    Score
    December 12, 2009 2:34:36 AM

Looks like a grate system :) 
    Score
    December 12, 2009 2:49:21 AM

Is that right CBaca? I checked Microcenter out the other day but didn't come across the i5, then again wasn't really looking for it, but I will this time. Be nice to save $50. Thanks

Yeah, definitely going to go with an HD monitor/resolution. I checked out the two Benq's on this site and although they look appealing, neither of them have an HDMI port so that won't work.

I was looking at an Asus monitor here - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Has a ton of reviews. It is hard to find a good monitor, I wish there was some magazine article, some PC gaming magazine, or something like "Top 10 monitors of 09'." I've got to decide on this monitor in a couple days, just don't know which way to go. Trying to keep it under $400, cheaper is better, but if the $399 one is gonna get me a more reliable, and better picture quality monitor then i'll take it.

Any sites to see recommended monitors, or anything of the likes? The best I know of is scrounging the reviews on newegg.com, but many of the newer monitors only have a couple reviews
    Score
    December 12, 2009 2:54:49 AM

Jamrock said:
    Is that right CBaca? I checked Microcenter out the other day but didn't come across the i5, then again wasn't really looking for it, but I will this time. Be nice to save $50. Thanks

Go to microcenter.com and choose the store near you. Looks like you can order it online, but you have to pick it up at the store.
    Score
    December 12, 2009 4:14:13 AM

Exactly the kind of thing I was looking for niklas, the roundup showed the top 5 displays and even recommended one for a "gamer." Too bad it was from 08', but maybe that will do. I read the more recent article on tech posted a couple months ago which says that just about any LCD you get nowadays from a known company will be just fine. So maybe there is no great LCD out there, at least under $400. If there is, someone let me know :) 
    Score
    December 12, 2009 4:49:42 AM

Jamrock said:
    I checked out the two Benq's on this site and although they look appealing, neither of them have an HDMI port so that won't work.

They do.

Jamrock said:

Any sites to see recommended monitors, or anything of the likes? The best I know of is scrounging the reviews on newegg.com, but many of the newer monitors only have a couple reviews

As I said above, have a read here: http://www.prad.de/en/index.html
    Score
    December 12, 2009 5:35:03 AM

The ASUS monitor is actually pretty good, I have one that is very similar (pretty much the 21 inch version, was on sale for $149 after rebate at Newegg, will track down the link if interested), and I am very happy with the picture quality on it. From what I hear, Samsung tend to be rated higher, but also cost twice as much, so...I am very happy with my own! Also, the Antec 900 is a great case, comes with 3 120mm fans (two intake in the front, one in the back to blow air out) and a massive 200mm at the top. It's actually the case I just used in my first build a few days ago. There is also the 900 2, which is pretty much the same except that the 200mm fan is also Blue (led light, the 900 only has the 120mm with blue leds). Hope that helps a little!

- C
    Score
    December 12, 2009 5:46:13 PM

Yea it does Reanimation, thanks. It sounds like the Antec 900 will get the job done well. Still deciding on the monitor, I think i'm going to go with a Samsung, but still giving it some thought.

Worth it to get more than 4gb worth of RAM? I am trying to figure out if the mobo can fit any more RAM or not? I was thinking maybe 6-8gb of RAM would be nice, but I am not sure if I could just get a few more 2gb sticks or if I have to get two 3gb sticks. I can't tell, here's the motherboard page if anyone could help - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... .
    Score
    December 12, 2009 10:27:24 PM

4 gigs of RAM is all you need for gaming. the s1156 uses dual channel ram so go 2x2GB or 4xs2GB

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Model
    Brand GIGABYTE
    Model GA-P55-UD4P
    Supported CPU
    CPU Socket Type LGA 1156
    CPU Type Core i7 (LGA1156)/i5 (LGA1156)
    Chipsets
    North Bridge Intel P55
    Memory
    Number of Memory Slots 4×240pin
    Memory Standard DDR3 2200/1333/1066/800
    Maximum Memory Supported 16GB
    Channel Supported Dual Channel
    Score
    December 13, 2009 7:01:34 AM

Just my 3 Cents after reading all this:

#1:Let someone else build your rig, someone who knows what they are doing, a friend perhaps.. Don't go blowing 1200.00 and mess something up.

#2: The system that you have put together above , will not even come close to max settings in Crysis, not trying to be a stick in the mud, just honest. I know because my system is packing way more power and still only gives me 70-90 FPS at all out max settings at 1920X1200 average. So the system you have put together above will not get you the 30-40 FPS your looking for constant.

#3: As has already been stated, your experience with crysis will be limited by the CPU you choose, I would go with an i7 920 and over clock it to 3.8-4.0 ghz on air (with a TRUE 1366 rev.C cooler like what I am using. Best 350 dollars total you'll ever spend. Also Get an Asus P6t Deluxe , not a gigabyte, and definately not an EVGA, ASUS is better than both of them combined. The P6T is the highest rated motherboard in the x58 class for the price point your looking to pay.

#4: Dont bother.... Crysis is a short game and there are others that are better, you could Play Crysis Warhead, and actually get much better FPS, with the same experience really.
    Score
    December 13, 2009 7:06:52 AM

Oh and if your buying a case...Dont listen to the Antec Hype... the Best case on the market right now, for cable management, ease of use and air flow is the Coolermaster HAF932, look it up and read the reviews, its the best case out there right now, for the money your looking to spend.

Plenty of room for everything, Including 2 Powersupplies and 2 of the biggest graphics cards on the market, plus 11 drive bays total, and again tons of air flow , with fans to move it.
    Score
    December 13, 2009 7:33:34 AM

dragoncyber said:
    Oh and if your buying a case...Dont listen to the Antec Hype... the Best case on the market right now, for cable management, ease of use and air flow is the Coolermaster HAF932, look it up and read the reviews, its the best case out there right now, for the money your looking to spend.

Plenty of room for everything, Including 2 Powersupplies and 2 of the biggest graphics cards on the market, plus 11 drive bays total, and again tons of air flow , with fans to move it.

I don't think the OP needs such hardware, the budget is around 1k and you are suggesting an i7 920 and a 100.00$ cooler?

The 900 and 902 are superb cases, the haf 932 is great also but it's huge and i don't think he will use 10 HDD's, 4 GPU's amd 2 PSU's?? Seems like you are recommending the same hardware that you use :lol: 

Ohh and BTW, the Classified pwns any ASUS x58 board.... hehe Fanboy.....
    Score
    December 13, 2009 8:43:36 AM

Sure thing, Mr. ASRock motherboard. You wouldnt know a Quality motherboard if it jumped up, kicked you in the balls, and laughed at your AMD Speed Phreak Avatar.
    (AMD Speed...WTF is that? You meant AMD slow right?)

Haha...Fanboy..yeah me and 90% of the computer builders and High end enthusiasts who all recommend Asus boards.

My suggestion for his case was quite a simple one as the HAF 932 sells for anywhere between 99-139.00 dollars on the average, so giving him much more room for growth in the future, and an i7 920...I mean do I really even need to comment about its overclocking potential and versatility..

I think you just stuck your AMD smelling Azz in here to start something.. Keep trying to Overclock your AMD, maybe you might be able to fry an egg on your paperweight.

Oh and PS, incase you didnt read the OP's budget went to $1500.00, not 1,000 which you so eagerly threw out there.
    Score
    December 13, 2009 1:26:27 PM

OvrClkr

Quote:
    I don't think the OP needs such hardware, the budget is around 1k and you are suggesting an i7 920 and a 100.00$ cooler?

The 900 and 902 are superb cases, the haf 932 is great also but it's huge and i don't think he will use 10 HDD's, 4 GPU's amd 2 PSU's?? Seems like you are recommending the same hardware that you use :lol: 

Ohh and BTW, the Classified pwns any ASUS x58 board.... hehe Fanboy.....

dragoncyber

Quote:
    Sure thing, Mr. ASRock motherboard. You wouldnt know a Quality motherboard if it jumped up, kicked you in the balls, and laughed at your AMD Speed Phreak Avatar.

The OP has been honestly asking for help and getting great responses. Do either of you think these personal opinions of each other is beneficial to the OPs obvious desire to learn how to build his own PC? :non:  I think not.

If you would like to continue bashing each other use the PM option available to you so the rest of the community can continue with providing the OP with component recommendations which in the end he will ultimately decide to buy.
    Score
    December 13, 2009 4:42:51 PM

Well, first off, any help and recommendations on hardware is appreciated. I recently upgraded the i5 to a i7-860 to get some more speed when OCed. The i7-920 seems to be going for the same price as the 860, what gives? I figure I could OC the 860 to 3.6 or maybe even 3.8 ghz. I don't specialize in OCing for a living, so I assume the CPU OCing is as easy as messing w/ the BIOS or using a program such a rivatuner if your gonna OC the GPU (Have yet to overclock my CPU, but have overclocked the graphics card just fine, keeping the temps in check.) All of which I will figure out in due time.

Everyone has to learn sometime. If there is a site you could recommended or a guide somewhere explaining how exactly to put a computer together dragoncyber, than that would be very helpful. But, i'm building my own computer as well as getting Crysis, mainly for the graphics I don't need advice on which games to buy. Really no point in those kinds of comments, the title already states clearly what i'm here to do.

dragoncyber, If you could explain to me the differences in the i7-860 and i7-920 (looks to me that the 920 runs at lower clock speeds than the 860, at stock levels) then that'd be great.

I see quite a few videos on youtube of people running Crysis on max w/ these specs I had laid out. Although I am planning on getting a 1920x1080 monitor, so I don't know if it will run on max w/ those resolutions. If you can recommend some other components that would guarantee without going overboard that I could reach that goal, then the budget can be stretched a bit.

I liked the original build just fine that 1898 suggested, but thought i'd upgrade the i5 to the i7-860 I said above hoping it would give me a bit more for just $80 more. The motherboard also seemed just fine to me (I don't know much about motherboards, which are better or not or for what reasons,) but I do know that it supports crossfire and was compatible with the i5/i7. I also liked how in the future if I chose to upgrade, I could throw another 5870 in there. I don't see the reason to get another motherboard? This motherboard can overclock with ease it says, and i'm planning on doing that.

But if the i7-860 isn't gonna cut it for max Crysis 1920x1080, then some suggestions would be nice, I would really hate to spend all this and not be able to run the game in all it's glory that I built the computer for in the first place.

Open to suggestions! Going to have to have it decided in a few days here though.

Also, I don't see any reason to change to the other case dragoncyber, the Antec 900 looks to fit the 5870 and everything else just fine and has good air flow. Is that just a personal opinion of yours on which case you like better? Or am I wrong about the Antec 900?

Thanks
    Score
    December 13, 2009 7:01:26 PM

The Antec 900 will fit everything you are looking at buying, and a little more to boot. The HAF is just bigger, essentially, not including things you won't need like extra bays when the Antec already has 9, which means more room to place cables and such. It also means a bigger case to place somewhere, so really, it's a personal preference, just like most computer parts once you get down to the top 5 contenders or so. I liked the look of the Antec, and it fits all I need, including the Cooler Maser V8 and a 5770 GPU just fine, so I had no need to upgrade, but you may feel differently. Again, can't go wrong with either!

Also, you will be just fine putting the computer together yourself, as if you actually had the sense to ask questions here when you aren't sure instead of guessing, you have more than enough sense to put component a in slot b. The hardest part is part selection, honestly. Just be sure to avoid the issue of shock components by touching the case every now and again (at least), and read a guide like Proximo's as far as applying thermal paste, and you'll avoid the two most common issues out there.

- C
    Score
    December 13, 2009 7:19:31 PM

dragoncyber said:

Haha...Fanboy..yeah me and 90% of the computer builders and High end enthusiasts who all recommend Asus boards.

My suggestion for his case was quite a simple one as the HAF 932 sells for anywhere between 99-139.00 dollars on the average, so giving him much more room for growth in the future, and an i7 920...I mean do I really even need to comment about its overclocking potential and versatility..

I think you just stuck your AMD smelling Azz in here to start something.. Keep trying to Overclock your AMD, maybe you might be able to fry an egg on your paperweight.

Oh and PS, incase you didnt read the OP's budget went to $1500.00, not 1,000 which you so eagerly threw out there.

First of all there was no bashing intended, we are here just trying to help the OP... Second, even if the OP has 1,500$ to spend you are still suggesting nonsense hardware because if he wants a 5870 that will leave you with a rough 1,050$ to spend on everything else. Third, I have built PC's with the P6T SE and the Deluxe V2 and NO it is not the BEST x58 boards out, so that is why I called you a Fanboy, since it was obvious that you were recommending hardware that you own. Both of those Asus boards are great but they are not the best, just FYI. We are not here to see who's PC is better, we are here to gather options so the OP can get his money's worth. With your suggestions it would be impossible unless he skimps on a few pieces of hardware and I don't think the OP is going to do that....
    Score
    December 13, 2009 7:33:44 PM

Yeah, I too like the look of the Antec, although that isn't too important for me it should be big enough for what I am trying to do. The only other future upgrades I can think of would be adding another 5870 when I win the lotto.

About the i7-860 vs. the i7-920,

Doing a bit of reading it seems that the 920 is going to be more stable for overclocking than the 860. I don't know how far the 860 can be pushed safely, but from what dragon said and from what i've read it looks like the i7-920 can be pushed from its stock of 2.66ghz to 4ghz safely with the Antec 900's air cooling?

If that is so, even though the i7-860 has a 200mhz higher stock speed than the i7-920, the i7-920 is a better bet as I will be able to achieve a 4ghz clock speed after OCing the 920?

If that is correct, that's awesome and thanks for the tip dragon as the 920 is only $10 more than the 860 haha. Still, some clarification would be nice. Since you had some gripes about my previous setup dragon, will having the i7-920 at 4ghz with the 5870 be able to run Crysis max at 1920x1080 res?

"nor do you really need the thermal paste since you get one with the hyper 212." - 1898

-that was quoted from 1898 above, I double checked the hyper 212 page and didn't see it shipping with the arctic 5 thermal paste. Sorry, just a little confused here. Am I missing something?

Thanks again! Looks like things are finally going to wrap up here after I iron out the right hardware to get.

Score
    December 13, 2009 7:54:54 PM

You wont even max crysis with a 5970 @ 1980X1200 with all the eye candy turned up It would be close @ 55.8 You would need a HD 5970 in xfire to max it @ 64.9 FPS

That's about 1300.00 alone in GPUs lol

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3679&p=8 that was with a i7 920 @ 3.33
    Score
    December 13, 2009 8:08:25 PM

dragoncyber says :

Quote:

Look, it seems like your e-peen has gotten into your way of thinking here, the AM3 or 1156 platfrom will play Crysis just fine. It all comes down to choosing the right hardware for your money.

Look at the benchmarks, AMD can hang with the 920 in gaming. Ask anyone here if you are still in doubt. The 1156 750 can also hang with the 920.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/phenom-versus-i7,23...

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/core-i5-gaming,review-316...
    Score
    December 13, 2009 8:10:12 PM

O, I hope I wasn't being misunderstood lol. Running crysis at 60+ fps was never my goal. Sure, that'd be awesome, but I didn't think it realistic.

If I can manage 55fps average that exceeds my expectations tenfold. That would be awesome.

Wow, I can't believe the 5970 is getting 17+ fps more than the 5870 on Crysis at 1920x1200. I thought it would just be a minor difference. Thanks for the link.

Great link, seems to me that with the 920 at 4ghz it would boost those frames quite a bit with the 5870. With the 920 @ 3.33, getting 38.5 fps, that is still quite playable. Not sure how many more frames you would get having it at 4ghz instead of 3.33, but I would imagine it would be pretty substantial, no?

---- Quick question

1. Are there significant differences between different types of RAM, i.e. Corsair vs. G-Skill RAM ?

Corsair (this one claims to work well with i7 processors?) - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

G-skill (much cheaper, but will the performance lack in comparison to the Corsair?)

The Corsair description says gain that extra frames per second, just marketing?

And the Corsair desc. also says "Perfect match for Core i5 and Core i7" ??
    Score
    December 13, 2009 8:33:09 PM

I would say that game is all GPU you wont see much FPS OCing the CPU
    Score
    December 14, 2009 3:31:39 AM

Jamrock,

The equipment that I am recommending to you, is very honestly, some of the best equipment, for the money that you have to spend. I am not just recommending it because I thought off the top of my head, i7 920, HAF932 Case and that was it.

I am recommending these to you because I have used and built with the Antec 900 and 1200 series cases and they are not as good and will cost you more than The HAF932. Thats why I suggested it. It will also give you plenty of room for whatever your planning to do in the future, and its going to go under neath a table or desk so location is not even an issue.

The X58 series boards that are out there right now, have better offerings in the socket 1366 platform right now, and ASUS is always rated one of the top boards, in conjunction with the i7 920 processor, you will have much better overclocking capability, and I know because I am using the same gear..

Thats why I recommend it. I wouldnt tell you to go get something I have never touched or have experience with, as this makes no sense. Asus boards are the best and the P6T variants are the best ones they offer next to there rampage i7 boards.

Heres the system I think you should go for:

Asus P6T Deluxe V2 : 289.00 Newegg
    i7 920 Intel 1366 Processor: 288.99 Newegg
    Coolermaster HAf932 : 139.00 Newegg
    OCZ ddr3 memory: Model # OCZ3G1600LV6GK 149.99 6gb kit Newegg
    Asus 5870 Model number: EAH5870/G/2DIS/1GD5A 409.99
    Western Digital Caviar Black 1 Tb Drive : 99.00 Newegg Or >
    Samsung SpinPoint F3 1tb for 85.00
    Cosair 850tx PSU: 139.99 Model # CMPSU-850TX 139.99

Total system cost: 1514.99 w/ Western Digital Drive
    1500.00 w/ Samsung Drive

You can decide on whatever cooler you want, but as suggested earlier, The Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120 Rev C. 1366 is the best air cooler money can buy and its prices vary, I got mine at FrozenCpu.com for 65.00 a couple months ago.

Hope this helps.

Score
    December 14, 2009 3:55:48 AM

^^^^ You forgot to add the cooler, OS and DVD Drive =) ^^^^

Anyways here is a suggestion :

Antec Nine Hundred Two Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor - Retail

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212

2x Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA

MSI P55-GD80 LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

or

ASUS P7P55 WS SuperComputer

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB

XFX HD-587A-ZNF9 Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT)

CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX

Sony Optiarc Black 24X

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM

Around 1,450.00$ before shipping and rebates =)

Score
    December 14, 2009 4:29:21 AM

I didnt forget the cooler, I made it quite clear what my recommendation was at the end of my last post, its his choice in the end however.

I didnt know we were building your grandmother's computer however, so I guess everything you suggested except the powersupply ( which I suggested) will work fine for Her emails through AOL, and she can look at the pictures you sent her of your most recent Cubscout of the month award ceremony.

Dont even get me started on your MSI, motherboard suggestion, or your ridiculous advice on cooling a 4.0ghz processor on air with a Hyper212.

Im done here, Jamrock, if you have any sense, research the products your interested in prior to buying or listening to anyone and go from there. Ive been building PC's for 16 years, and can tell you researching the reviews, and comparing professional critics articles is the best way to build the best system. Trust your instincts on the best way to go about it, you'll see which products to choose.
    Score
    December 14, 2009 4:42:50 AM

dragoncyber said:
    I didnt forget the cooler, I made it quite clear what my recommendation was at the end of my last post, its his choice in the end however.

I didnt know we were building your grandmother's computer however, so I guess everything you suggested except the powersupply ( which I suggested) will work fine for Her emails through AOL, and she can look at the pictures you sent her of your most recent Cubscout of the month award ceremony.

Dont even get me started on your MSI, motherboard suggestion, or your ridiculous advice on cooling a 4.0ghz processor on air with a Hyper212.

Im done here, Jamrock, if you have any sense, research the products your interested in prior to buying or listening to anyone and go from there. Ive been building PC's for 16 years, and can tell you researching the reviews, and comparing professional critics articles is the best way to build the best system. Trust your instincts on the best way to go about it, you'll see which products to choose.

Look, you have no understanding of what is price to performance. I will not insult you here because it's of no use. Here are some facts that you left out.

The Hyper 212 got 10/10 :

http://www.thinkcomputers.org/cooler-master-hyper-212-p...

and it's on Frosty's top 10 sinks ;) 

The MSI that I posted gets VERY good numbers compared to the ASUS, GB and EVGA boards. You have no clue to what is TOP-NOTCH now at days since you are stuck up the 1366 tree. Any 955/965/750 will produce more or less the same numbers as the 920 when it comes to gaming.

The only way I would switch to the 920 would be by having a microcenter near by.....

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=363...

Crysis Warhead :

And final conclusion :kaola: 

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i5,2410-...
    Score
    December 14, 2009 5:09:09 AM

This is what I had planned out as of earlier. May switch to the Coolermaster because I don't think the 5970 will even fit in the 900 haha. That is, if I can find a 5970 before christmas.

Score
    December 14, 2009 5:11:38 AM

If you are going to get a 5970 then yes you need a full tower like the 932....
    Score
    December 14, 2009 5:26:59 AM

Jamrock said:
    This is what I had planned out as of earlier. May switch to the Coolermaster because I don't think the 5970 will even fit in the 900 haha. That is, if I can find a 5970 before christmas.

]http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/3627/xmasrig09.th.jpg

You cannot pair up an i7 920 with a P55 board, you either need to switch the board to an x58 and get an extra stick of ram or switch the 920 for the 750.....

Score
    December 14, 2009 5:38:01 AM

That was a rather entertaining fight. I guess OvrClkr knocked him out. :lol: 

Anyway, to answer the question about the thermal compound. The Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound is not included but you get one made by Coolermaster.
    Score

Best solution

December 14, 2009 6:28:00 AM

I just want the OP to get his money's worth. The 920 is overall better than anything out ATM. But as far as gaming goes there are a few that can hang with the 920. So there is no point in spending the extra 200.00$ when in fact as far as price to performance goes, a better GPU will justify the extra frames needed to satisfy the OP.....
    !