GTX 280 Solid Color Crash!

da10x

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2008
Hello!
Until about an hour ago, my system was running quite stable. I have a setup with:
EVGA 790i ULTRA Motherboard.
PNY GeForce GTX 280
Razer Barracuda Audio Card
4 GB Patriot 1033MHz DDR3 RAM
1000W ULTRA PSU

I realize the PSU isn't good and I'm planning on replacing it, but the system was working decently until about two hours ago.

I was playing Modern Warfare 2 and my computer crashed with a looping sound, which usually meant that my Graphics Card was overheating (I think). Then I rebooted by holding down the power button, and then I tried to change my cooling percentage in the Nvidia Control Panel. After that, I started up MW2 again and I was getting around 30FPS when I usually get a solid number around 60. I didn't change any settings.

I then thought maybe my slight overclock was reset to stock, and I went to change it back and rebooted, but it was still doing it. I got a bit frustrated and set all the sliders to max (maybe not such a good idea) and then rebooted, and now everytime I log in, it crashes, with a solid color that either appears to be black or a dark blue (slightly different every time).

I tried removing the card, reinstalling it, running in Safe Mode (no crash there), and cleaning the dust, and everything else, but I just can't get it to work!

I want to play again! How should I fix this problem?

da10x

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2008
Quick addition, when I log in, the PC is dead quiet. Then when the crash occurs, it's almost as if the fans kick in and the PC goes mad loud, and is unresponsive.

I just also tried to boot with low resolution mode, and it still crashes. Note that my monitor doesn't say no signal, so there is a bad signal coming in... did I break my card?

Nvidia cards tend to fail after a year or more when operating at 70c + since when it cools it can cause micro-fractures. The heat can also damage power stage since that is the hottest part of the card during normal use (same applies on low end cards as well). Remove any dust that may remain on the backside of the pcb and you have said that you have already cleaned the cooler. Manually set the fan speed your self while keeping temps in the 60s.