Phenom ii x4 965 vs 955 - is there a difference?

oldsoulrevival

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
I know the clock speed is different, but are the chips actually the same chip, just marketed differently by AMD?

Is it better to get the 955 and OC it to 965 speeds, or just spend the extra 10 to 20 bucks and get the 965?

Solution
It's better to buy a Lynnfield and not waste your money on Amd

They're both damn good. I didn't see the OP mention anywhere that he was debating between a Phenom or a Lynnfield, so I'm not too certain how your thought is relevant to this thread.
they are actually identical chips, you can bump the multiplier on the 955 up 1 and have a 965 but the silicon is identical. You might get slight differences in highest possible over clock as the 965 would be the coolest running of the batch but it probably wont make too much of a difference. If the C3 and the C2 steppings are priced the same get the C3 as it will run slightly cooler and give a slightly higher OC.

Atranox

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009

They're both damn good. I didn't see the OP mention anywhere that he was debating between a Phenom or a Lynnfield, so I'm not too certain how your thought is relevant to this thread.

Solution

jlyu

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2009
Yea the new i5..if i were to go with the i5 it would be the 750..cause its an actual quad..only thing i dont like its no hyperthreading..and its a socket 1156 instead of 1366

oldsoulrevival

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
Funny because these benchmarks show the Lynnfield beating up on the 965

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/default.aspx?p=109&p2=102

And these show Clock For Clock the X4 can't hold a candle to the Lynnfield

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/default.aspx?p=109&p2=85

Take a guess what happens when you throw HT into the mix. Utter domination of the X4

First of all, all I can say is: FANBOY

Secondly, I didn't ask about the new Intel chips.

Thirdly, In the processes that I would be using, the 965 scored better than the lynnfield.

Lastly, the whole bickering between which is better just based on brand name preference is REALLY getting old. 10 years now, and both companies around and both have their fanboys, meaning they are BOTH doing what works and are BOTH creating good processors. If you are running PSCS then yes, go with i5... If I am playing games, watching movies, and writing papers spending an extra 200 bucks on an intel chipset and mobo is a waste of money.

The processor you buy is ENTIRELY relative to the application

Atranox

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
Some noobies get brainwashed by the Amd Fanboi's on this forum. It's good to remind them that there are better alternatives.

So if anyone ever asks what the difference between a 1GB and a 2GB GTX 285 is, I should rush off to tell them than the 5870 is better?

jlyu

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2009
im a amd fanboy..but i want the best possible for my architectural work..etc so intel 1336 seems the best to go..though i always wanted a phenom ii x4 build

jlyu

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2009
like the thread makers said..you should answer the question instead of suggesting another..there is nothing wrong with suggestions..but it seems he made a point on the difference of the two processors..not on another whole company

keithlm

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2007
I'm a fanboi because i like the better product? :lol:

You're a fanboy because you continually demand that people accept your opinion as the only acceptable "truth". The sad part is that you can't even understand that opposing opinions exist and are just as as acceptable as your opinion.

You also jumped into a thread that had nothing to do with Intel and inserted your unasked for opinion. FAIL.

AMW1011

Distinguished
Psycho, he never said anything about Intel so why bring it up. The i5 750 certainly does not blow the Phenom II out of the water, it matches it and pulls ahead in a few apps, that is all. I know, I have one. Did you ever consider that he already had a board to put these CPUs into? Did you ever consider that he just CAN'T afford the extra for the i5 750? Did you ever consider that the performance difference may be unnoticeable to him?

To the OP, neither. Get the Phenom II X4 925 which can hit 3.6 GHz pretty easily and go farther with some luck. You will save $50, which can be well spent elsewhere. That said, you couldn't go too wrong with the 955, but the 965 provides no benefits.

Raidur

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
Give it up keith Phenom II's IPC is between yorkfield and kentsfield. It's enough for gaming on today's cards, (as is kentsfield and yorkfield) but doesn't keep up with i5/i7 in anything else. It's a simple fact that has been proved time and time again on about 10 different reviews I've seen and more I'm sure. i5 is a good choice, especailly when OCed.

You did come off a little troll like though with that first post psycho lol.

OP: 965 is not worth the price premium over the 955 unless you are too scared to change a single setting in bios.

+1 Phenom II 955

AMW1011

Distinguished

"anything else" is a capability the OP isn't interested in, therefor Keith is correct in that the Phenom II is the better product for the OP, in comparison it is as fast and slightly cheaper. Also if the OP is smart and gets the Phenom II X4 925 then he will save a lot of money and get a lot of performance for his uses.

The i5 is a good choice, when it fits your needs. But it doesn't fit the OP's needs.

oldsoulrevival

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
Thank you lol

I am sticking with the 955, the reasoning being that I read that OCing can drastically lower the lifespan of your pc, so the less I OC, the better. Also, it only saves me about 20 bucks more, so no biggy.

Thanks for all the input

AMW1011

Distinguished

The 955 is a good chip, but there won't be any difference in the lifespan of a 925 and a 955 at 3.6 GHz for example. The reduction in lifespan comes from increasing voltage and the voltage should be about the same on both chips at equal clocks. Also as long as you stay within the voltage range, below 1.4v, the CPU should last a good 5-10 years. However when you exceed that range the lifespan figure will start to drop pretty drastically until you are at ~2 years then it will drop to months or days, which is likely at 1.5v+. Both CPUs can do 3.6 GHz in that voltage range, and likely 4.0 GHz as well.

AMW1011

Distinguished

That was my personal favorite. My thought is that when he posted it he had to not only believe it, but he had to have been prepared for the backlash from the AMD nuts let alone the moderate people as well.

A dangerous moment of insanity, I'll give him points for bravery if nothing else.