• Triple Channel
  • Memory
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
Anonymous
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
May 20, 2010 6:22:54 PM

Why won't my Gigabyte x58A-UD3R count up more than 8GB. I bought OCZ gold 3 x 2GB matched triple channel mem kit listed by GiG to be the correct, approved mem and it worked fine.I bought another 3 X 2GB matched of the exact same part #: :bounce:  set to add also but sys only counts up tp 8GB. Sys info says 12 GB installed ; 8GB usable .
I have Win 7 Pro x64 new system. Can anyone advice-thanks.-Pete

More about : gigabyte x58a ud3r memory

Best solution

a c 164 } Memory
a c 304 V Motherboard
May 20, 2010 6:58:24 PM

Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

start, write msconfig, this brings up the configuration utility, click the Boot tab, and then click the Advanced Options button, in that window, there is a setting for Maximum Memory. Make sure the checkbox for it is clear (not checked), then reboot your computer.
a b } Memory
a c 177 V Motherboard
May 20, 2010 8:21:56 PM

See the i3/i5/i7 'Missing' Memory section of the 'sticky' - it's almost certainly your problem!
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
June 5, 2010 4:54:23 PM

saint19 said:
Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

start, write msconfig, this brings up the configuration utility, click the Boot tab, and then click the Advanced Options button, in that window, there is a setting for Maximum Memory. Make sure the checkbox for it is clear (not checked), then reboot your computer.

OK,I did that,no change, but now I think that I have a bad 2GB stick. I moved all 6 pieces around and with the bad stick, it would always count up to 4GB or the wrong amount. I can get it up to 10GB but the last "bad" one drops it to 4 or 8GB. How would I know if I'm getting the full benefits of triple channel?. On bootup(Award F5) it just counts the amount but doesn't say triple channel as my last ASUS P4800-E deluxe did. It said 2GB DDR-400 in DBL channel mode.
My GIGABYTE X58-UD3R Rev.1 doesn't tell -just the amount.
System info does say 12 total; 8 useable
How do I vote you the best answer/reply
m
l
Anonymous
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
June 5, 2010 4:55:09 PM

Best answer selected by pblackin.
m
l
a b } Memory
a c 177 V Motherboard
June 5, 2010 5:13:45 PM

You might want to take a look at Memory - Part IV - "Tweaking and tuning"; read the beginning of the Memtest Techniques: section, and then skip down to the Memtest Useage: heading, under 'Hunting down' a bad DIMM:...

May help you out in 'identifying the culprit'!
m
l
!