Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Would a corsair hx 1000w be compatible with the alienware p2 chassis?

Last response: in Systems
November 16, 2009 6:13:19 AM

I've seen a fair amount of thee cases on ebay and want to put my own parts into one (core i7 overclocked and liquid cooling. I know it isn't the best case, but I want it for the aesthetics). I want to be able to put a 1000W power supply into it though, and was wondering if I could use anything other than the one that comes standard with the chassis (a lot of the ones sold on ebay don't include the power supply in the first place), namely the Corsair HX 1000W PSU. I've looked everywhere for info on this to no avail, so any help would be greatly appreciated!
November 16, 2009 6:05:06 PM

Hi,
Chrck the dimension for max power supply in alienware website. then check the one for corsair hx 1000. I have on and it's not that big you know.
m
l
Related resources
November 16, 2009 10:02:44 PM

Thanks for the input. Proximon, those suggested cases are very cool, and I understand they are probably overall better cases, but I really want the alienware chassis with the alienhead (weird I know). Additionally, is there maybe another power supply that would replace the a-ware one more effectively than the corsair? I was looking at the Rosewill 1000w supply on newegg, but didn't see any dimensions. Anyone with experience putting a new power supply in one of these cases or with any accurate suggestions??? I'm really set on the a-ware chassis...
m
l
a c 113 B Homebuilt system
November 17, 2009 4:32:54 AM

What is it you are running that needs all that power?
m
l
November 17, 2009 4:51:01 AM

Well I am going to build a new setup using it and I want the possibility to upgrade everything inside it in the future (i.e. 4 hard drives, 2 x HD5850's, i7-920 CPU, 12GB corsair dominator RAM, Fatal1ty Sound Card). I am going to begin with the ASUS Rampage II Extreme mobo, core i7-920 CPU, 2 x 1tb WD Caviar Greens, 6GB dominator RAM, and 1 x Radeon HD5850 Video Card. Possibly will be installing a liquid cooling system at some point and plan on overclocking it too.
m
l
November 17, 2009 5:59:16 AM

That's still far too much PSU.

Get the HX850 instead. That will power all you list or even CF 5870s... And it's a more reasonable length.
m
l
November 17, 2009 1:15:42 PM

Sounds good to me Proximon, and thanks.

I looked up the dimensions for the A-ware 750W: (H x W x D) 3.9 x 6.5 x 6 inches

Specs: http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=NPS-750AB-1-R&c...

The A-ware 1000w: 4 x 8.5 x 6 inches

Specs: http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?InvtId=N1000P-00-R

The Corsair 850HX: 3.4"(H) X 5.9"(W) X 7.09"(L)

Specs: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

So the Corsair is a bit smaller. Does the Corsair look like a viable substitute? Will I need brackets or anything (would prefer not to need them)? Maybe there is another quality 850w+ PSU that would fit better if this one won't?

Thanks for the input everyone
m
l

Best solution

November 17, 2009 6:32:34 PM

It looks like the mounting holes are the same. Because the Alienware PSUs are taller, it makes me think the support bracket might not be a good fit. Because of that, you may need to create some support for the unit with velcro or some such.

The only real concern is the extra length, and from the pictures I see it seems like there is enough space to accommodate that.
!