Screen Goes Black Periodically

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Computer
  • Monitors
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
November 16, 2009 11:46:07 AM

I was gone for the weekend, and my computer was off. I come back, turn my computer back on, and after about 5 solid seconds, my monitor goes blacks out. I turn my monitor off, and back on. Wait a minute, now it's working again...1...2...3...4...5...Black Screen. I repeat the process with the same results. I turn restart my computer. Same problem.

I tried downloading new GPU drivers, they didn't work. However, I didn't manually delete the old ones, as I was hoping that the old ones would get overwrited. I "stole" the monitor from the computer in my main room. I plugged it up as a dual link and it works, but my other monitor remains black.

GPU: ATI Radeon HD 4890
Monitor: Hanns G HH251

Any ideas?

More about : screen black periodically

a b B Homebuilt system
November 16, 2009 5:59:21 PM

Try it with just the monitor you stole from your main computer.
If it blacks out again, it's a bad video card.

Then try that monitor on the main computer. If that blacks out, then
it's a bad monitor.
m
l
November 16, 2009 8:50:38 PM

Okay, I tried the Hanns G monitor on the main computer and it has the same problem. Could a problem like this be caused by a faulty cord?
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
November 16, 2009 9:19:58 PM

No, I think the monitor is bad.

I think it's a typical symptom of TN monitors.

One more question, when the monitor goes black, is the power LED on the monitor
still lit like it was on? or does it go into power save mode?

If it still lit, then the monitor is bad. You can probably still see a faded image on the screen. That's what I've noticed on my dead monitors. If you can still see a faded imaged, then the light went out. Might as well through it away because it's not worth fixing. Parts and labor will come to about $100 already.

Trying a different cable wouldn't hurt, but cables rarely go bad.
m
l
November 16, 2009 9:21:10 PM

when you install NEW gpu drivers, you MUST UNinstall the old ones first. It's going to require a couple reboots, but UNINSTALL first, reboot, cancel auto installs, THEN install the new drivers, reboot again again
m
l
November 17, 2009 12:24:47 AM

masterasia said:
No, I think the monitor is bad.

I think it's a typical symptom of TN monitors.

One more question, when the monitor goes black, is the power LED on the monitor
still lit like it was on? or does it go into power save mode?

If it still lit, then the monitor is bad. You can probably still see a faded image on the screen. That's what I've noticed on my dead monitors. If you can still see a faded imaged, then the light went out. Might as well through it away because it's not worth fixing. Parts and labor will come to about $100 already.

Trying a different cable wouldn't hurt, but cables rarely go bad.

Yes, the power LED indicates it is still on, and not in power save mode. However, when the screen goes black, it's instant. No fading.

Dang.
m
l
September 1, 2012 1:13:01 AM

The eprom that stores monitor settings on these monitors have a problem with data corruption over time, especially if the computer is allowed to run with the monitor turned off. When the corruption gets too extensive the monitor will fail to turn on and flash green amber on the pwer light. While the monitor still funtions, doing a factory reset in the OSD (on screen display) will refresh the factory set data, which usually solves the problem, however some of the data stored is not part of user settings and extreme corruption will lead to total failure. Pressing multiple buttons, usuallt two, while plugging in the main power cord can also reset to factory settings if you can find the correct ones, trial and error until all combinations usually works but not always. The eprom in mounted on a pc board that has the HDMI and DVI connectors and replacement of this board will usually fix the problem. Call the manufacturer for information on buying replacement parts. I hope this helps someone.
m
l
!