Using ethanol to clean thermal sink on heatsink.

kitteh_

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
Hey guys,
the question, quite simply, is can I use ethanol to clean the thermal paste on my heatsink and CPU?
Tutorials recommend rubbing alcohol and I, not know the difference, just wanted to verify.
Thanks!

I never really had to use alchohol for mine. and im pretty sure it dries fast enough to not have to worry about it getting in the socket (if you use a reasonable amount.)

Personally just a coffee filter was enough for me.

Ethanol is alcohol, just that it is made from grain (suitable for drinkin) vs Isopropanol and Methanol which is derived from wood (NOT suitable for drinking). Methanol and Isopropanol are commonly used to wipe down equipmant that is taken into a cleanroom enviorment.

100% (200 proof) Ethanol is hard to come by and usally has a tax sticker on it.
"rubbing Alcohol" up to 91% (9% is water) is common and cheap ar a drugstore. I have a source for 100% Isopropanol which is what I use.

Any of the 3 evaporates quicky with no residue

Ethanol, also called ethyl alcohol, pure alcohol, grain alcohol, or drinking alcohol, is a volatile, flammable, colorless liquid. It is a psychoactive drug and one of the oldest recreational drugs. Best known as the type of alcohol found in alcoholic beverages, it is also used in thermometers, as a solvent, and as a fuel. In common usage, it is often referred to simply as alcohol or spirits.

Isopropyl alcohol (also isopropanol, propan-2-ol, 2-propanol, rubbing alcohol or the abbreviation IPA) is a common name for a chemical compound with the molecular formula C3H8O. It is a colorless, flammable chemical compound with a strong odor. It is the simplest example of a secondary alcohol, where the alcohol carbon is attached to two other carbons sometimes shown as (CH3)2CHOH. It is a structural isomer of propanol.

Methanol, also known as methyl alcohol, wood alcohol, wood naphtha or wood spirits, is a chemical with the formula CH3OH (often abbreviated MeOH). It is the simplest alcohol, and is a light, volatile, colorless, flammable liquid with a distinctive odor very similar to, but slightly sweeter than, ethanol

kitteh_

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
Well... thanks for the information! I now feel educated.
I just needed to know whether it was safe for my system.

^ We buy, and use 100% Isopropyl, and Isopropyl alcohol in 5 gallon containers. Yes it evaporates quickly BUT not immediately. Only ever had one pint jar of 100% (200 Proof) gran alcohol. Should have kept it rather than use it - LOL

You do have to keep it sealed as it has an afinity for H20 and will draw water out of the air.

Within seconds it will be less than 100% because it is so highly hygroscopic and will absorb moisture from the surrounding air!

Great, Still working. They upped me to Fulltime (30). Basically same bennies, but only need to work 30 Hrs/wk.
They also promoted me to Senior Eng. - Told them they were NOT paing me enough, so with the promotion they gave me a 40 % raise.

Dogsnake

Distinguished
Also the cpu is sealed and never heard of the alcohol getting in. In fact I have seen systems which are 100% immersed in an oil bath and work just fine. Yes you can use them as a deep fryer as well.

Excellent news! Congratulations!

I'm in Naperville; A plant in Rantoul was one of the 5 plants I managed - visited Chanute and the silos! Cool!

Deer hunt in Marshall (Clark County).

Went Deer Hunting 77 and 78. Forget county, but it was along the Mississippi about 30->50 miles above E. St Loius. YOU would not believe the number of deer hanging for the trees!!. First year camped in a two man tent - Ice in tire ruts 2" thick.
My sister Moved to southern ILL - Husbun has a large plot of land there with deer and Turkey. He's a bow hunter. Myself I prefer Handgun (Have a 357 Herrett 30 30 cas with 1/4 in cut off of neck and resized to 357, but I load 358 200 gain rifle bullet & 44 mag). Also use a 308 Win. My other son just bought som land in the mountains of Maryland.

Probably in the Hannibal area; either Lewis or Clark County.

I use both a 44 mag rev (240 grain) as well as a 12 Ga. with a sabot slug.

kitteh_

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010

They have, thank-you, but it went off topic pleasantly.