Administrator rights

Hi,

I'm setting up some new computers that have Windows XP Professional. While
they are on a network, that are not part of a Windows domain - just a
workgroup.

I'm wondering if there is a way that I can configure them so that I can
remotely access them to do maintenance, troubleshoot, program installation,
etc. (Without having the individual users send me the invitation to give
them remote assistance.) I'd also like to be able to view their desktops if
needed.

I believe that I read how to do this in a magazine, but can't find the
article.

Thanks,
Glenn
6 answers Last reply
More about administrator rights

    Glenn wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm setting up some new computers that have Windows XP
    > Professional. While they are on a network, that are not
    > part of a Windows domain - just a workgroup.
    >
    > I'm wondering if there is a way that I can configure them
    > so that I can remotely access them to do maintenance,
    > troubleshoot, program installation, etc. (Without having
    > the individual users send me the invitation to give them
    > remote assistance.) I'd also like to be able to view
    > their desktops if needed.
    >
    > I believe that I read how to do this in a magazine, but
    > can't find the article.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Glenn

    Create a domain.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever
    count on having both at once. - RAH

    I do have a domain, but they don't authenticate to it as we are a Novell
    network.

    Glenn wrote:
    > I do have a domain, but they don't authenticate to it as
    > we are a Novell network.

    Having a Novell network doesn't preclude the workstations from
    also authenticating to a Windows domain simultaneously.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever
    count on having both at once. - RAH

    Yes, I know, but I do not have licenses for all workstations on the Windows
    domain, therefore, they cannot join it.

    Glenn wrote on 05-Sep-2004 5:43 PM:

    > I'm setting up some new computers that have Windows XP Professional. While
    > they are on a network, that are not part of a Windows domain - just a
    > workgroup.
    >
    > I'm wondering if there is a way that I can configure them so that I can
    > remotely access them to do maintenance, troubleshoot, program installation,
    > etc. (Without having the individual users send me the invitation to give
    > them remote assistance.) I'd also like to be able to view their desktops if
    > needed.
    >
    > I believe that I read how to do this in a magazine, but can't find the
    > article.

    Virtual Network Console comes in a variety of instantiations, one of
    which may suit you. You can set it up for remote access without user
    intervention. I recall some security vulnerabilities in the past that
    may have been resolved lately and, of course, you need to be careful
    about your account passwords. You might want to setup the new XP SP2
    Windows firewall to only allow access to VNC ports from addresses on the
    private network, disallowing access from the Internet. Hackers know all
    about VNC and its defects. VNC is freeware.

    --
    Kent W. England, Microsoft MVP for Windows Security
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    I've decided to buy the licenses to authenticate to the domain.

    Where can I find directions to set them up initially so that I can log on to
    them at anytime, make changes, etc.
    > Glenn wrote:
    > > I do have a domain, but they don't authenticate to it as
    > > we are a Novell network.
    >

    > Having a Novell network doesn't preclude the workstations from
    > also authenticating to a Windows domain simultaneously.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Bruce Chambers
    >
    > Help us help you:
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >
    > You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever
    > count on having both at once. - RAH

Configuration Microsoft Windows XP